Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Children Capacity
HeavenlyPlaceDayCare 12:13 AM 11-27-2018
hello, i am a daycare provider what happens if i go over my capacity limit?
amberrose3dg 03:15 AM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by HeavenlyPlaceDayCare:
hello, i am a daycare provider what happens if i go over my capacity limit?
It depends on your state. I know almost all issue fines that are higher than the extra income you would make by being over. If an accident or something happens you will be most likely charged with neglect as they will say it was because you were over etc.. I would not even attempt to be over it is not worth it! Some states can put the provider in jail also. In my state it is a criminal offense.
DaveA 03:40 AM 11-27-2018
Like amberrose3dg said- don't. If/ when you get caught the trouble is not worth any temporary gain. You could face fines, have to operate under an corrective plan (such as having to hire an assistant or drop multiple enrollments before reopening), or a immediate loss of license.
Josiegirl 03:54 AM 11-27-2018
Years ago I stupidly took that risk many times. Thankfully the rules weren't as stringent as they are now because the only thing that would've happened was they would've had me call dcps for pick up while they waited.
Now??? I would NOT attempt it because with the states all clamping down on rules/regulations and the law, not to mention liability issues, why risk it? As Amberrose said, the amount of $$ you'd make is NOT worth it!! Follow the rules and be safe/smart about it!!! All it takes is 1 person to report you and it might very well be your most favorite dcf cause you just never know.
If you have found yourself in a predicament make adjustments sooner rather than later.
amberrose3dg 03:57 AM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Years ago I stupidly took that risk many times. Thankfully the rules weren't as stringent as they are now because the only thing that would've happened was they would've had me call dcps for pick up while they waited.
Now??? I would NOT attempt it because with the states all clamping down on rules/regulations and the law, not to mention liability issues, why risk it? As Amberrose said, the amount of $$ you'd make is NOT worth it!! Follow the rules and be safe/smart about it!!! All it takes is 1 person to report you and it might very well be your most favorite dcf cause you just never know.
If you have found yourself in a predicament make adjustments sooner rather than later.
People are very spiteful and the second you do not do for them they will report you. I would not want to be looking over my shoulder.
Cat Herder 05:17 AM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by HeavenlyPlaceDayCare:
what happens if i go over my capacity limit?
You will be setting yourself up for fines, publicly posted citations, closure and possibly losing the ability to work with young children and elderly in the future.

The immediate hit will be to your professional reputation which then will become your personal reputation of being someone who feels they are so special they are immune to the law.

Character is what you do when no one is looking.

Variances can be requested on special circumstance. I have not had one turned down to date.
grandmom 05:15 PM 11-27-2018
I'm sending you a pm.
hwichlaz 08:59 AM 11-29-2018
In Caifornia? It's a type A violation. You'll be fined by the day...so how ever many days they suspect you were over in numbers, is a daily fine. It used to be $100 per day, but I'm not sure what it is now. You're violation will be posted on the wall of your facility for all to see, parents will be called, and if your LPA suspects you won't comply with correction, you'll either just be shut down or subjected to many many surpise visits.
Tags:california - ratios, california - regulations, citation, over ratio, ratio - over limit, regulations
Reply Up