Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick, Unhappy Babies
Indoorvoice 05:22 AM 01-15-2019
I used to prefer infants over preschool aged children and always kept my infant spots full. I love the age and felt they were overall pretty easy to care for. Eat, change, play, sleep, repeat.

My last couple rounds of babies have me giving up on this age. They have so many issues lately. Overtired, over/underfed, tons of rituals and habits they NEED in order to do xyz, no ability to be alone for even a few minutes, easily overstimulated, oversensitive to even slight changes or redirection, no interest in playing or doing typical infant things. Not to mention each one is just sick! GERD, GI issues, reflux, tongue tie, infant migraines (?!). I've had it all lately. Not sure if something is going on in my area, or if it's me, or what, but I used to have such happy little infants. I miss them laying on the floor and studying their hands or feet for several minutes, or catching a glimpse of light on the wall and being fascinated. My new babies do not do this. What is going on? Is this going on with your babies too?
Ms.Kay 05:36 AM 01-15-2019
I couldn't agree more!!!!! The last 2 infants...were held constantly had no self soothing skills..were here part time and with too many other caregivers!! I have one now where mom is trying to micro manage me feeding her. Mom sent 5 less oz than she ate yesterday!!!!!!!I just packed her things....this is not going to work.
amberrose3dg 05:56 AM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I used to prefer infants over preschool aged children and always kept my infant spots full. I love the age and felt they were overall pretty easy to care for. Eat, change, play, sleep, repeat.

My last couple rounds of babies have me giving up on this age. They have so many issues lately. Overtired, over/underfed, tons of rituals and habits they NEED in order to do xyz, no ability to be alone for even a few minutes, easily overstimulated, oversensitive to even slight changes or redirection, no interest in playing or doing typical infant things. Not to mention each one is just sick! GERD, GI issues, reflux, tongue tie, infant migraines (?!). I've had it all lately. Not sure if something is going on in my area, or if it's me, or what, but I used to have such happy little infants. I miss them laying on the floor and studying their hands or feet for several minutes, or catching a glimpse of light on the wall and being fascinated. My new babies do not do this. What is going on? Is this going on with your babies too?
Nope not you at all. I stopped taking new infants over a year ago and let the ones i had let go last month. So many issues with not being happy unless being held, would not sleep or eat properly. Parents also wanted to pass the issues to you expecting you to deal with it or fix it. I would never deal with those headaches again.
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 01-15-2019
Exactly why I don't take babies any longer.

So tiny but so many "needs"

Couple all that with regulations that seem to go directly against any of those "needs" and it's impossible.

I'll stick to toddlers and preschoolers....
storybookending 08:20 AM 01-15-2019
My current youngest is 16 months (tomorrow) and I started him at 6 months so I haven’t had a baby baby in a long time. I have two (barely) pregnant moms and while I love babies I don’t love babies in group care. It will be an adjustment for sure. Looking like October before both are here FT so I’m mentally preparing now.
Ac114 09:02 AM 01-15-2019
I have 8 month old twins and they are generally happy and keep each other entertained but they seem to need more and more from me the longer I have them. I have no idea why. I haven’t changed anything here. I’m very strict with their routine with minor changes here and there. I have a pregnant mom that will need care in about 6 months and I do not want to do it. I used to looovvveee babies but these 2 have done it for me!
Babymama 04:16 PM 01-15-2019
Awww it sounds like you need a break from difficult babies - I can relate. I once almost quit babies because of one very hard baby.
Instead wound up with 2 new WONDERFUL babies - and a very hard toddler (formerly the very hard baby). Then I had 2 wonderful toddlers, a nice new baby ... and a very hard 2 year old. He finally went off to pre-school at 3. now the 2 wonderful babies that I almost didn’t take are my wonderful little preschoolers.
My point is that some kids are just hard even from the beginning. You can try to resolve it with the twins or maybe let them go and begin again with a new baby. I’d rather put in the work with a new baby than starting a new 18 month old to fill the spot while continuing with the difficult twins.
Either way I would focus on improving the situation with the twins. Maybe they need more one on one attention? Maybe the parents can work on this also by spending more one on one time with each child.
Good luck and hang in there.
MamaG2903 10:04 AM 01-16-2019
I completely agree and as of this coming Friday, when my last infant leaves, I will no longer be doing infant care. The moms DRIVE ME NUTS with the micromanaging of eating and sleep schedules. I give up 🏳️
flying_babyb 06:26 PM 01-19-2019
I work with 1 year olds and infants. I love the two 5 month olds we have, HATE the tiny babies. Either they cant self soothe or have been allowed to sleep on there stomachs. Got one baby that I solved the issue of swing sleeping by swaddling.
knoxmomof2 06:38 PM 01-19-2019
Wow! I have 2 14 month olds - 1 is my own. I took the other one when he was 9 months old. First time I've had 2 under a year. I will NEVER take more than 1 under a year again. Kudos to you!!

Originally Posted by Ac114:
I have 8 month old twins and they are generally happy and keep each other entertained but they seem to need more and more from me the longer I have them. I have no idea why. I haven’t changed anything here. I’m very strict with their routine with minor changes here and there. I have a pregnant mom that will need care in about 6 months and I do not want to do it. I used to looovvveee babies but these 2 have done it for me!

knoxmomof2 06:56 PM 01-19-2019
After 6 years with the under 5 crowd, my rule moving forward is: starting ages of 1-3 only. 4 year olds are too hard to deal with unless I've had them since they were little and they won't be staying long anyway. Under 1 are a lot of work, there's the risk of SIDS and it messes up my nice afternoon break while the big kids are napping. My only exception will be former or current daycare families that have a baby that I want to work with again.

I took on a 9 month old sibling of a former DCK who moved on to school. My own baby was also 9 months and I thought for sure it wouldn't be a big deal to have 2 so close to a year. Wrong!! They keep me on my toes and it's so hard to keep 2 away from the older kids while they're playing blocks or something.
Tags:grumpy, sickness, unhappy child
Reply Up