Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I probably sound lame asking this.
LadyK8 02:14 PM 05-05-2014
I have a part-timer who is usually here twice a week. She hasn't been here in a week and one day, because last week she was suffering from allergies.

I haven't spoken to the parents in days, and I feel like I have to wait around wondering if she's coming in or not.

I wanted to rewrite my part-time policies telling parents to give 24-hour notice when they're expecting to bring their child in, so that I won't schedule anything else, or be closed that day. I only have this one child right now, and it's weird not knowing how my day is going to go because a parent has not contacted me.

I'm having trouble wording it without coming off a certain way. Any help would be really great and appreciated.
Chellieleanne 03:06 PM 05-05-2014
For my part time/on call kids I require at least an hour notice, they cannot just show up. I prefer at least the night before but sometimes it doesn't happen especially when the child's parents don't get their schedule until the day of.

Is it usually consistent on the days the child is in your care? If so I would just give the parents a call, check on the child and see if they were planning on bringing her. Then give your policy then that you are requiring some form of notice (1 hour, 24 hours, what ever you need) so that you can plan your schedule accordingly.
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by LadyK8:
I have a part-timer who is usually here twice a week. She hasn't been here in a week and one day, because last week she was suffering from allergies.

I haven't spoken to the parents in days, and I feel like I have to wait around wondering if she's coming in or not.

I wanted to rewrite my part-time policies telling parents to give 24-hour notice when they're expecting to bring their child in, so that I won't schedule anything else, or be closed that day. I only have this one child right now, and it's weird not knowing how my day is going to go because a parent has not contacted me.

I'm having trouble wording it without coming off a certain way. Any help would be really great and appreciated.
I require ALL families to submit a schedule the week prior to care.

Including part time families.

Whether part or full time, I need to know how to plan my week as well as purchase the necessary supplies needed.

I would never allow families to just use whatever days they wanted without pre-planning.
LadyK8 03:10 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:
For my part time/on call kids I require at least an hour notice, they cannot just show up. I prefer at least the night before but sometimes it doesn't happen especially when the child's parents don't get their schedule until the day of.

Is it usually consistent on the days the child is in your care? If so I would just give the parents a call, check on the child and see if they were planning on bringing her. Then give your policy then that you are requiring some form of notice (1 hour, 24 hours, what ever you need) so that you can plan your schedule accordingly.
An hour sounds much better. Didn't think of that.

I wouldn't say it's too consistent. Sometimes they need me Thurs-Fri, and other times I'm needed Mon-Tues.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm still new at this whole thing, and just didn't really know what to do.
Chellieleanne 03:19 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by LadyK8:
An hour sounds much better. Didn't think of that.

I wouldn't say it's too consistent. Sometimes they need me Thurs-Fri, and other times I'm needed Mon-Tues.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm still new at this whole thing, and just didn't really know what to do.
I have been doing this since August of last year so I am fairly new as well. I have two kids that are part time and one full time. I am not licensed and don't have a strict schedule that I am available, I just want notice especially living in Sin City, my part time change all the time because their parents hours change based on whether it is busy or not for their work. My availability will change when I get licensed though, I don't want to be on call for all hours for much longer.
Crazy8 05:24 PM 05-05-2014
Change your contract to state schedules must be in the Friday before the week of care.

Keep in mind that if you are filling other spots and are limited in the number of children you have you may need to restrict families to certain days to not go over numbers. I only do set schedules - I can only have 5 kids here, so can't be dealing with flex days when combined with full timers and other part timers.
LadyK8 05:35 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:
I have been doing this since August of last year so I am fairly new as well. I have two kids that are part time and one full time. I am not licensed and don't have a strict schedule that I am available, I just want notice especially living in Sin City, my part time change all the time because their parents hours change based on whether it is busy or not for their work. My availability will change when I get licensed though, I don't want to be on call for all hours for much longer.
Same here. I don't have a strict schedule, but I just want to know how to plan for the next day.

Update: Surprisingly, I didn't have to send the parents an email. The mother called me today saying that her daughter will be in tomorrow. Apparently she's been suffering really badly with her asthma and she did not want to subject me to the child's sickness, which I felt was really thoughtful.

I've never had parents with these parents and they're really great, so maybe I jumped the gun, but almost a week is a long time to go without communication.
LadyK8 05:36 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Change your contract to state schedules must be in the Friday before the week of care.

Keep in mind that if you are filling other spots and are limited in the number of children you have you may need to restrict families to certain days to not go over numbers. I only do set schedules - I can only have 5 kids here, so can't be dealing with flex days when combined with full timers and other part timers.
I will definitely consider taking yours and Blackcat's advice when I've really gotten the hang of this and have more children. As of right now, I'm okay with 24 hour notice or notice hours before.
Tags:schedule, schedule - changes
Reply Up