Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Officially Licensed!!! :) And a Questions..
dan18ny 01:25 PM 03-27-2015
My wife just got a call from the inspector today and told us she is officially licensed! I am so proud of her!

So this weekend my wife and I are going to work on some of the paperwork, mainly the contract. I wanted to ask everyone for help with what is it that they put down when it comes to vacation and sick days. I know we can pretty much put anything we like but I would really appreciate it if you guys could share what you have. I think it will give us a good base to work with.

Lastly, any advice for my wife? We are in our late 20s with a 10 month old and running this from our house. We live also in Orange County, California.

Thanks everyone in advance!
Thriftylady 01:27 PM 03-27-2015
Have a handbook for sure, and on the contract make the handbook binding. That is the place to put your wife's vacation and such. A handbook is much longer than a contract and discusses everyone. Mine are likely lacking, but I can PM them if you like.
LindseyA 01:31 PM 03-27-2015
I take 2 wks a year vacation, 3 sick and 2 personal. I am bumping my vacation time to 3 wks though! 2 is not meeting my/my family's needs.
Unregistered 01:34 PM 03-27-2015
I allow 10 vacation days for each family per year. They can be used separately or all at once, but I must be given a two week notice of plans to use them. These days are unpaid.

I take two weeks vacation each year, also unpaid, but depending on your area and clientele, if you can throw in a week paid vacation and can make that work, I certainly would. Many people charge 52 weeks a year, regardless, so it is up to you and what you think will work for your daycare.

If I am sick, I close unpaid.
Any other time a parent does not bring their kid (sickness, snow days, ect.), they still pay, unless they have pre arranged their vacation time.

I also close on 6 holidays each year and those are paid, if they fall during the week.

Whatever you decide to do with your policies, make sure t is written out clearly and that you go over it in detail with each parent and stay firm when people want you to compromise on them!

Congratulations on your new journey and best of luck to you both!
dan18ny 01:35 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Have a handbook for sure, and on the contract make the handbook binding. That is the place to put your wife's vacation and such. A handbook is much longer than a contract and discusses everyone. Mine are likely lacking, but I can PM them if you like.
Yes please that would be great, thank you!
Thriftylady 01:37 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by dan18ny:
Yes please that would be great, thank you!
Ok do you use google docs?
dan18ny 01:39 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I allow 10 vacation days for each family per year. They can be used separately or all at once, but I must be given a two week notice of plans to use them. These days are unpaid.

I take two weeks vacation each year, also unpaid, but depending on your area and clientele, if you can throw in a week paid vacation and can make that work, I certainly would. Many people charge 52 weeks a year, regardless, so it is up to you and what you think will work for your daycare.

If I am sick, I close unpaid.
Any other time a parent does not bring their kid (sickness, snow days, ect.), they still pay, unless they have pre arranged their vacation time.

I also close on 6 holidays each year and those are paid, if they fall during the week.

Whatever you decide to do with your policies, make sure t is written out clearly and that you go over it in detail with each parent and stay firm when people want you to compromise on them!

Congratulations on your new journey and best of luck to you both!

It never crossed my mind to give them vacation days. Is that something that is regular or is that something extra you provide? I wonder if everyone here does that. Thank you for your response!
dan18ny 01:41 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Ok do you use google docs?
Actually I have never used it before. What do I need? I have a google account.
Thriftylady 01:43 PM 03-27-2015
I sent you a PM it is free and connects to gmail. It is also easy to set up and share documents

ETA: I keep my stuff saved there in case of a computer crash I can access it from any computer then.
Unregistered 01:57 PM 03-27-2015
It never crossed my mind to give them vacation days. Is that something that is regular or is that something extra you provide? I wonder if everyone here does that. Thank you for your response!
When I was in Tx, I gave two weeks at half rate each year, but I found that in my current state, the parents were not as receptive to having to pay when they are not attending, so I changed it to the 10 vacation days unpaid...but I also charge more per week to compensate and cover fro the days they end up using. Oddly enough, most parents only use about 5-6 per year, so I end up making extra each week in my regular fee, and still get paid for more days than I would if they actually used all their vacation days.
Thriftylady 01:59 PM 03-27-2015
I give them ten days half rate. That holds the spot.
daycare 02:00 PM 03-27-2015
first riookie mistake I made......

never collect payments after services have been proivded.

Collect fees in advance. So when they enroll, if the start on Monday, then the week before you have them come by conduct a meeting to go over all paperwork from state, your contract and they give you first weeks payment. That way you are able to get any supplies needed over the weekend. I would also make at least $75.00 of that non-refundable. Their next payment will be due on the last day of care that their child attends, so if it is Friday, then they will pay you Friday for the following week. EVERYTHING IN ADVANCE

I would also implement a two week paid trial period where you and the parent can term for any reason without notice. at that time you would refund any more for services not given if they decided to leave.l

after 2 week trial, require a deposit = to two weeks of care and give them a permanent contract. In my area 30days is the norm.

i can send you mine as well if you me to....feel free to pm me your email addy
daycare 02:01 PM 03-27-2015
oh and CONGRATS!!!!!

ALSO WHAT SHE SAID. NEVER HOLD A SPACE WITHOUT A FEE......
Unregistered 02:50 PM 03-27-2015
Regarding vacation: I give 5 days vacation time with 2 week notice. Most don't use it.

Regarding the payment contract :
4 week notice for termination or decreasing hours bill adjustments.
I take off 9 days a year. Most are holidays except two 3-day weekends I take during the summer. I'm going to change this to a full week soon. All paid.
Payment doesn't change for any reason except if they use their vacation time.
I charge for returned checks. $25 plus my bank fee's.
Always get payment in advance.
Their odl and ssn # - or a 4 week deposit.

Regarding policy handbook:
Topics:
General business hours
required paperwork
Immunizations and non immunization laws
arrival and departure
nap time
preschool
child abuse and neglect
medication
emergencis
Damage
dress code
meals, outside food policy
required supplies example: Extra clothes
illness policy/symptom exclusion
Guidance and dicipline
Potty training
termination, reasons for immediate termination

I also have a separate form for photos and videos permission; excursion permission (in the car and on foot); registration form (has all their personal info, emergency contacts and a liability statement)
Movingforward 12:07 AM 03-29-2015
Try Tom Copeland's books, it's directly related to family child care. He has a book about how to write up contracts, handbooks and such.
Hope that helps.
Movingforward 12:20 AM 03-29-2015
Congratulations on getting licensed!!! And nice that you are working with your wife!
dan18ny 09:42 AM 03-30-2015
Thanks everyone!
DaveA 10:17 AM 03-30-2015
Congrats on the license!

As for vacation days- my contract lists 10 paid days off (pretty much the big holidays + my birthday and anniversary). Any other days off are unpaid. I have week in the summer and a week in the winter for vacation (Unpaid). The winter break can be done as a solid week or a pair of long weekend. The parents prefer the long weekend options.

Aside from what has been said here already, my big advise is you both need to make sure time for yourselves and each other is a priority. This can be a very stressful and lonely job if you let it get to you.

Good luck.
Baby lady 11:53 AM 03-30-2015
I don't give them vacation days at no cost. I do not charge for the weeks I am closed (Christmas through New Year's Day, and a week in the summer).

I take as paid holidays:

President's Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving and the day after

next year I'm going to start taking Martin Luther King Day also

I'm in California also, LA County
sharlan 01:14 PM 03-30-2015
Suggestions ..........

1. definitely have a contract spelling everything you want out - fees, hours, policies, etc

2. follow your own policies - you can't expect others to if you don't

3. don't temporarily allow something if it's not something you are wanting to allow long term

4. definitely charge a late pick up fee or you will have parents showing up whenever

5. remember that you provide a SERVICE that parents buy, you do not work for the parents, regardless of what some parents believe, you are NOT their employee

6. not all families are a good fit for you and vice versa - don't keep a family that doesn't mesh with you - always have a trial period

7. And most important - DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU READ OR HEAR. People will tell you what they "think" should be part of our rules and regs, but that doesn't mean that it's true. Read your Title 22 regs and if you don't find it there, email your analyst and get your answer in writing. CA has the grayest rules and regs of any state. A lot is open to individual interpretation. http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/ord/entre...pdf/fccman.pdf
Thriftylady 04:14 PM 03-30-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:

5. remember that you provide a SERVICE that parents buy, you do not work for the parents, regardless of what some parents believe, you are NOT their employee
]
The first time I did child care, I made this mistake. It was probably the number one reason I didn't make it as long as I could have. This is so true.
Daycare Insurance 02:38 PM 03-31-2015
My wife just got a call from the inspector today and told us she is officially licensed! I am so proud of her!

So this weekend my wife and I are going to work on some of the paperwork, mainly the contract. I wanted to ask everyone for help with what is it that they put down when it comes to vacation and sick days. I know we can pretty much put anything we like but I would really appreciate it if you guys could share what you have. I think it will give us a good base to work with.

Lastly, any advice for my wife? We are in our late 20s with a 10 month old and running this from our house. We live also in Orange County, California.

Thanks everyone in advance!
Don't forget to purchase insurance!
MommieNana4 10:08 AM 04-03-2015
Congrats on licensing!

I am in harmony with all that has been said regarding contracts, handbooks, vacation time (for both).

Consider if you will provide care for friends and family. This can be tricky.

Along the lines of Sharlan's information (a good fit for you), you don't have to take the first prospect that comes through the door. You can be very selective!

It is your business.

All the best,
Wanda
Tags:starting a daycare
Reply Up