Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Charge For Drop Ins
jenboo 07:46 AM 07-07-2014
I have a drop in family coming today. I think I gypped myself out of some money.
Do you normally charge your regular rate, a half day or full day rate, or do you charge by hour (taking your daily rate and dividing it by how many hours you are open and then using that to determine what the family should pay?)

I really could use the extra $$ of drop ins right now... But when people are looking for drop in rates, they want the cheapest of the cheap.

For today, I decided to charge hourly. Normal rate is $31 a day, they need 5 hours so I charged $18 (which is a little over the hourly rate). But now looking at it, that's a big difference!!!
JenNJ 07:50 AM 07-07-2014
I charge 25% more per day for drop ins. I don't offer half day or hourly. Full day price only.
Shell 07:51 AM 07-07-2014
It's funny that you ask this, as I am in the same predicament myself! My daily rate is $45 for an 8 hour day. Providers in my area charge $45 /day whether you attend 1 hour or all day. I am going to tell drop in family it's 45/ day- use as much or as little as you want. I just called around to daycares to see if I could get my ds in for 1-2 days/week and they all want around $60/ day!!!
jenboo 08:00 AM 07-07-2014
Drops ins are the only ones that I would consider a half day/hourly rate for.
Im so torn. If I charge my regular daily rate, then the family would just go to one of the shams and pay like $10 for a whole day for two kids!!!!! The market is so saturated with cheap legally unlicensed childcare. This isn't a problem for full time families but it is a problem for drop ins
Blackcat31 08:39 AM 07-07-2014
Drop ins are charged 2x my normal daily rate and are restricted to specific times ~

Drop off NO less than an hour after my first regular drop off
Pick up NO less than one hour before my last scheduled pick up

I hate being stuck here with a drop in kid.

I also require CASH payment AT drop off.

They can attend an hour or the whole time that is available but the rate is the same.
itlw8 10:53 AM 07-07-2014
I charge f/t $100 a week p/t is 3 SET days at $25

Drop in is $5 an hour minimum $10 or $30 a day If they are not enrolled on the food program because it is a 1x thing then and extra $5 for the day. I do not tell them that it is just $35 for the day

Less time is always more money
TwinKristi 12:42 PM 07-07-2014
I charge $10/hr or $60/day which is $10-15 more than my normal daily rate.
jenboo 01:23 PM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Drop ins are charged 2x my normal daily rate and are restricted to specific times ~

Drop off NO less than an hour after my first regular drop off
Pick up NO less than one hour before my last scheduled pick up

I hate being stuck here with a drop in kid.

I also require CASH payment AT drop off.

They can attend an hour or the whole time that is available but the rate is the same.
Do you get a lot of drop ins this way?
Everyone here would go to a super cheap SAHM
daycare 01:29 PM 07-07-2014
they have to check with me first that I have the spot open. If I say yes, then they go to my website and pay for it in full at least 24 hours in advance. There is no refund if they cancel. There is no refund if you are more than 20 min late and you will lose your spot.

I charge $15.00 more than my normally daily rate....
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Do you get a lot of drop ins this way?
Everyone here would go to a super cheap SAHM
I have a pretty good list of "regular" drop ins. Approx 4-5 different families

Mostly SAHM's that either know me and don't need regular daycare services and a couple of past families that no longer use regular care but use me when they need a day or two now and then.

I RARELY take drop ins that are random or families I don't know (either personally or through a current family).

TOO much hassle.
MarinaVanessa 01:40 PM 07-07-2014
For me FT clients regularly pay $165 a week which comes out to be $33 per day, $3.30 an hour (for 10 hours max).
My drop in clients pay $45 a day or $6 per hour (minimum of 4 hours).
Tags:drop in rates
Reply Up