Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Week Notice
organicdclady 08:28 PM 03-24-2016
Ok, let me start by saying I have never had a family give me notice before. This family was my first full time enrollment and are now moving out of state, dcg has been with me a little over a year.
I had my contract all in place when they enrolled, but somehow communication was not clear and dcd paid two weeks up front, but didn't pay for the actual care until Friday of the first week. I know I should have said something at the time but you know, backbone. He pays on time and has been a great dc parent. He told me today he got notice from his job and next week will be dcg last week. I obviously have to charge him tomorrow, right? Or no? And do I give him back one weeks tuition...my automatic reaction is no since he did not give me adequate notice. Trying to process all this and not freak out about the loss of income. Help?
Thriftylady 08:40 PM 03-24-2016
What exactly does your contract say about notice and fees due?

I would not give a refund because I hold a one week deposit, and my contract says "the deposit will be applied towards the final week of care when two weeks notice is given in writing.". My contract also says "there are no refunds issued for any fees paid". Now I of course in some situations may give a refund, but I don't have to.

To answer you to the point, I wouldn't give a refund.
organicdclady 01:06 PM 03-25-2016
The contract states "The security deposit is held by the provider and will be applied to the last two weeks of care at xxx childcare, if sufficient enough time is given"
It does not state anything about refunds. I need to add that to new contracts.
So, because he notified me yesterday, he would still pay today and then he would not pay the next two weeks-even though dcg will only be here next week. He basically loses one week of payment because adequate notice was not given.
correct? I have a feeling he is going to need an explanation at pick up.
Thriftylady 04:34 PM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
The contract states "The security deposit is held by the provider and will be applied to the last two weeks of care at xxx childcare, if sufficient enough time is given"
It does not state anything about refunds. I need to add that to new contracts.
So, because he notified me yesterday, he would still pay today and then he would not pay the next two weeks-even though dcg will only be here next week. He basically loses one week of payment because adequate notice was not given.
correct? I have a feeling he is going to need an explanation at pick up.
Sufficient according to whom? Perhaps he thinks one week is sufficient. IF he decided to push it that wording could be a problem. Your contract needs to state how much time is sufficient.
Blackcat31 04:42 PM 03-25-2016
Show him the accounting record of payments he made for the time period.

Show him the contract stating deposit and notice policies.

It wouldnt require an explantion if you just show him his balance all the way through and up to the last TWO weeks (even though the DCK will physically stop attending a week prior).
Ariana 04:50 PM 03-25-2016
If I am reading this correctly the deposit is to be applied to the last two weeks of care from the time the termination was initiated. If he initiated the termination yesterday then two weeks from yesterday. You keep the deposit and issue no refunds. It was his decision not to use the two weeks and the deposit is there to make sure he pays after termination and so you have income whether or not an actual two weeks is given.
Every person I have ever termed has not come back and I have never issued a refund. It is their choice to end care immediately or use the two weeks they have paid for upfront.
Tags:two week notice
Reply Up