Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Severe Thunderstorm WATCH
SilverSabre25 12:20 PM 04-10-2013
just a watch, no warning. Do you go out in good weather, but a thunderstorm or tornado WATCH?

(watch means possible, warning means imminent, just fyi).

It seems stupid to stay in when it's gorgeous and nothing on the radar for hundreds of miles, but that orange bar across the screen saying "watch" has my anxiety working and confusing the daylights out of me :P
butterfly 12:23 PM 04-10-2013
I'd probably stay in, but I've got a couple very overprotective parents and they'd probably freak if they knew we were outside with a Watch in effect. If it were just me and my kids, I'd absolutely be outside!
SilverSabre25 12:26 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I'd probably stay in, but I've got a couple very overprotective parents and they'd probably freak if they knew we were outside with a Watch in effect. If it were just me and my kids, I'd absolutely be outside!
See that's the thing...in the summer, we have times when we have entire WEEKS of hot weather and sunshine, not a drop of green on the radar, but a tornado watch all afternoon/evening.
rmc20021 12:26 PM 04-10-2013
I would probably be inside watching for weather updates. You never can tell.

Many years ago we were under a tornado WARNING and the weather looked fine. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We have been practicing our tornado drills every day...anyone else?
mema 12:26 PM 04-10-2013
I guess it would depend. I always look at the radar before we go out. If we were in a watch, I check before we go out and then when we are out if I decide to go. If the radar shows nothing within an hour of us, we usually go, but stay at home and I keep checking and watching the sky.

We are in an ice storm warning right now, but it says it is not in effect until later tonight, so depending what the radar looks like after snack, we may go out anyway.
SquirrellyMama 12:31 PM 04-10-2013
I would go outside if there was a watch. Like someone else said there are days when there are thunderstorm watches and it doesn't rain. If you are going to be close to the house I wouldn't worry.

K
AfterSchoolMom 02:13 PM 04-10-2013
I'd go out if you had a means of monitoring the weather in case they changed the Watch to a Warning.
snbauser 04:56 PM 04-10-2013
I would. A watch means conditions are favorable for the development of a storm. Not that one is forming or anywhere nearby. As long as you are observant and keeping and eye to the sky then I would go out. I also have a weather radio and weather alerts on my phone so there is additional ways to be warned.
SilverSabre25 06:19 PM 04-10-2013
We did go out. I have a smartphone so i kept an eye on things, and would ahve gone in regardless at the first grumble of thunder or darkening of the western sky.

We had NO storms until like 7:30, so I'm really glad we did. we were out for about 1.5 hours and it was wonderful.
kendallina 06:21 PM 04-10-2013
I'd go outside. I stay outside with the kids unless we hear/see thunder/lightning.
Reply Up