Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's The Oddest Item Your DCK's Fight Over?
Rockgirl 11:04 AM 09-28-2017
There's probably some random object in every daycare that is the coveted item.

Here, I have a set of toy metal pots & pans in the play kitchen, and there's one particular lid every child wants to possess. I've had to remove it before, because a physical altercation broke out.

They don't even play with it. They all just know they want it.
LostMyMarbles 11:15 AM 09-28-2017
The footstool...why?
LostMyMarbles 11:16 AM 09-28-2017
Oh yea...there is this one tiny piece of light blue crayon
storybookending 11:21 AM 09-28-2017
The little blue and green babies from the dollhouse. They get hid sometimes. Not as bad as it used to be.

The grumpy bear care bear.

Currently there's a racecar book on the shelf that's been a subject of "mine mine mine" but the car that goes with it was in a mouth yesterday so I took it away to wash it so it's still "drying".

This time last year it was the "boy" baby doll. One of our little girls had just gotten a new brother and since she only wanted to play with the "boy" doll every one else followed.
daycarediva 11:24 AM 09-28-2017
A random red counting bear that happens to have a backpack. The rest do not, of course.

He's currently "missing". A missing poster was made. It's hung up in the art room.

momofsix 11:25 AM 09-28-2017
One tiny little white scoop in the sandbox. One of at least 20 scoops or shovels...they all run to try to get it first.
Baby Beluga 11:41 AM 09-28-2017
A yellow toy train in our vehicle bin. Everyone wants it....then they just hold it.
Luna 12:03 PM 09-28-2017
A green bangle. One of about fifteen bangles, four of them being different shades of green.
e.j. 12:14 PM 09-28-2017
A plastic fried egg from the play kitchen.
Rockgirl 12:16 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
A plastic fried egg from the play kitchen.
So funny!! Mainly because we have one too, and 20 month old dcg carries it around most of the day!
DaveA 12:18 PM 09-28-2017
The sun. The bay window in the classroom cast 3 rectangles of sunlight in the classroom in the morning. DCB and DCG used to fight over who could set in the "good" center rectangle of sunlight. Mind you for most of the morning it was big enough for 4 kids to stretch out in.
Rockgirl 12:22 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
The sun. The bay window in the classroom cast 3 rectangles of sunlight in the classroom in the morning. DCB and DCG used to fight over who could set in the "good" center rectangle of sunlight. Mind you for most of the morning it was big enough for 4 kids to stretch out in.
LOL! For the win!
laundrymom 12:24 PM 09-28-2017
The hiding spot under the lego/train table. They will stack two high three deep in there!
Leigh 12:27 PM 09-28-2017
The Fisher Price Laugh and Learn car. I had to get rid of it. Kids were getting punched, bitten, hair pulled...I have never seen kids fight over something like they did over this dang thing. Even the big kids wanted to play with it, but the 2's and 3's were the ones out for blood. I had this for 2-3 years before it suddenly became the toy that they all HAD to have. Of course, when they came in and it was gone, no one even noticed!
Attached: laugh and learn.jpeg (30.9 KB) 
Mom2Two 12:33 PM 09-28-2017
Who gets to wash their hands first.

The best social spot at the table. The table is like 2' x 4' and I seat six kids at it. I finally pointed out that the table is so small that they are all sitting by each other anyway.

They also fight manage to fight over anything there's only one of.
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 09-28-2017
This:
Attached: 5.jpg (113.3 KB) 
Rockgirl 12:46 PM 09-28-2017
Mine once fought over an imaginary ball. They'd been "throwing" it back and forth, and a child claimed to have caught it. The problem was, another child also said he'd caught it. It got ugly.

Kids!!
Miss A 01:15 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
The Fisher Price Laugh and Learn car. I had to get rid of it. Kids were getting punched, bitten, hair pulled...I have never seen kids fight over something like they did over this dang thing. Even the big kids wanted to play with it, but the 2's and 3's were the ones out for blood. I had this for 2-3 years before it suddenly became the toy that they all HAD to have. Of course, when they came in and it was gone, no one even noticed!
Yes, it becomes a WWE Smackdown here some days over this darn car!

Every single day though it is the bottles for the baby dolls. I have enough for each child to have 1. All of them can be laying in the middle of the floor and they will all fight over the 1 someone happens to be holding at any given moment.
MarinaVanessa 02:17 PM 09-28-2017
My collander & lemon squeezer.
They're HOT commodities around here
Josiegirl 03:04 PM 09-28-2017
Right now we have no coveted toys but it's the washing hands first issue here too. Along with who gets to open the gate to the play yard.

Until I had a change over of kiddos, it was bad though. It was never one item that was coveted; it was any item that they didn't have and someone else did. Or we'd be outside and they'd be fighting over who got to hold the worms/slugs/bugs they found.
Josiegirl 03:05 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Mine once fought over an imaginary ball. They'd been "throwing" it back and forth, and a child claimed to have caught it. The problem was, another child also said he'd caught it. It got ugly.

Kids!!
LOL Yep, I can picture that happening!
Josiegirl 03:06 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
A random red counting bear that happens to have a backpack. The rest do not, of course.

He's currently "missing". A missing poster was made. It's hung up in the art room.

That's brilliant!
flying_babyb 04:38 PM 09-28-2017
who gets to sit on number 6! We have a rug with 10 lilly pads. The number 6 is the one they argue over. I have aggressive little boys, this number has come to blows, scratches, missing hair ect. We now do group time at the lunch table!
BumbleBee 04:41 PM 09-28-2017
Play food potato chip.
HappyEverAfter 06:35 PM 09-28-2017
My lap. Doesn't matter if a child is happily playing on the other side of the room, if they see me holding another child the tantrums (throw themselves on the floor, wailing and kicking the ground) ensue immediately. I have one DCG who will literally climb on top of another child (like foot to the face climbing) trying to get into my lap. Even my 5mth DCG has started screaming with outstretched arms if she sees me holding another child. It's ridiculous.
CeriBear 04:36 AM 09-29-2017
The little red fire truck. They do fine with the big one but the little one causes problems almost every day.
Pestle 05:04 AM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Who gets to wash their hands first.
Yaaas.

Also: The little plastic lawn chairs. I'm like, "Oh, I see. There are three kids who want chairs and only four chairs between you. No wonder you're fighting."

To be fair, only two of the chairs are pink. To be even more fair, they only fight over ONE of the pink chairs; the other is always left vacant.
MomBoss 05:42 AM 09-29-2017
A rug.
Lol
hwichlaz 10:25 AM 09-29-2017
duplo blocks. I have two school buses full of them, and two smaller containers. There are enough to go around...but they don't believe me.
Rockgirl 10:54 AM 09-29-2017
As for the going first for doing things, we have a rotation. Every day is someone's day....they're first for everything if it's their day. Washing hands, choosing a spot at the table, turning on the light after nap (this one is a HUGE deal here), everything that involves having a turn or choosing something. We go in order of the cubbies--they know whose day it will be tomorrow, the next day, and so on. It has solved a lot of problems.
Britt507 12:18 PM 10-17-2017
The issue we have with the DCK's fighting over is being first. First in line, first to wash, first to have snack, etc.

Being first stopped being an issue with one girl, who now wants to be the caboose every time. It's always something to do with the line. It is what it is.
sahm1225 03:50 PM 10-17-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Omg, we have a missing Olaf poster too!! Olaf went to the laundry and never came back (code for he's put away with the blankets until they forget and don't fight over it!)
Hunni Bee 06:23 AM 10-19-2017
Literally happening as I type. I cut a piece of blue and white fabric into five smaller pieces for baby blankets. Literally identical, except maybe slightly different shapes. I also have other assorted bandanas and pieces of cloth to use as blankets.

Someone just broken-down into inconsolable tears because she couldn't get a certain piece of the blue and white blanket, even though there's three other pieces available plus the other ones.
Pestle 06:34 AM 10-19-2017
Lunch.

"Banana, me!"
"No, me!"
"No! Banana, me!"

Dudes. I am walking to the table RIGHT NOW with a banana for every kid. When have you NOT all gotten exactly the same food within 20 seconds of everybody else?
Rockgirl 02:27 PM 10-01-2020
I brought this thread back up, because this:
Attached: FC9A0875-3543-4516-994D-53130B023FD6.jpeg (2.09 MB) 
Lovatic24 07:45 AM 02-23-2021
What is it?
Jupadia 08:07 AM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by Lovatic24:
What is it?
Not my thread hut it's a piece that's connects hot wheel tracks to each other.
Jo123ABC 10:52 PM 02-24-2021
Chunk of wood that they pretend is a cell phone.
Cat Herder 05:40 AM 02-25-2021
Who will be picked up first on any given day.

As if they have any control over that.
flying_babyb 04:43 PM 02-25-2021
this week? It was a TINY piece of flubber that fell to the floor during play time. they seriously argued and were shoving each other over who got to put it in the trash
Tags:fighting over toys, objectification
Reply Up