Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: What religious/non-religious path do you follow?
Christianity 67 60.36%
Agnotic 15 13.51%
Atheism 12 10.81%
Islam 2 1.80%
Hinduism 0 0%
Buddhism 1 0.90%
Paganism 4 3.60%
Jewish 1 0.90%
Scientology 0 0%
Other 9 8.11%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Religious Views... What's Yours?
littlemissmuffet 02:37 PM 03-14-2013
The offensive terms thread really suprised me... and left me wondering what religions rank where within members of this site. This poll isn't intended to offend anyone or cause any kind of debate - I'm simply curious. Thanks!

I am an athiest that follows a somewhat pagan lifestyle.
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 03-14-2013
I am Christian. Raised a Lutheran, attended church and Sunday school my whole life.

Took several classes in college on Theology and religion because they all fascinate me (although none have changed my faith in God) but the courses have taught me that a lot of religions actually have more in common than they don't.
jokalima 03:13 PM 03-14-2013
Christian, I also have in my contract that even though this is not a christian DC, I will include christian material, prayer, songs etc.. They have to sign it before child starts, I will not force a child to participate though.
makap 03:28 PM 03-14-2013
I am a Christian. I love & believe in our Lord Jesus Christ with all my heart and soul and do my best every day to show it.

I love every person I meet regardless of their beliefs or lifestyles because that is what I believe my God wants me to do. I forgive everyone, although it may be difficult and it may take me a while at times but I do pray for guidance whenever I feel others do me wrong. In fact I pray all the time.

I want to live my life to be as close as Jesus as I can. I feel that I fall so short so much of the time but I do know that I am human and I believe that I am forgiven because no one knows what is really in my/your heart like God does and I keep trying to be a better person every day.

I pray for knowledge, wisdom and understanding from God all of the time and I really want to live my life pleasing him in every way.

For me it all depends how the terms are used.

To say G D or to use the term Jesus Christ as when cussing or when upset, I am very offended by this.

To say God Bless You, I believe it is usually intended as a good thing.

Personally I feel that it is what is in your heart when you say it.

OMG I love you so much as to OMG I hate you!

All I can say is God knows what is truly in your heart and he is the ultimate judge.

I do not allow my dc children to be anything but loving, kind and gentle at all times. If one is truly excited and says OMG in a context not intended to be anything but for good I do not think it is a bad thing.
Evansmom 03:48 PM 03-14-2013
I was born and baptized into the Catholic religion, went to Catholic and Luthern private schools but it never felt real or right. In fact I felt oppressed my whole childhood by all of it and I got out as soon as I was old enough.

I was always, always drawn to Buddha's teachings and loved them but for a long time I denied myself to think of myself as Buddhist because I had a silly notion you had to be born into the religion to be Buddhist. I don't know why. Anyway last year I started studying mediation under Mingyur Rinpoche and it has changed my life! But I also realized that I WAS born Buddhist! but my family wasn't! . So I have become a full Buddhist in my heart and in my mind and in my deeds. I walk the Path as closely as I can, I read the Dharma, meditate and I LOVE it!!! I have so much peace and love in my heart now. I never felt this way in any of the years I spent in church. Buddhism is definitely for me.
Heidi 03:54 PM 03-14-2013
Christian, with leanings towards agnostic?

Meaning, I consider myself Christian and have been "saved" (several times, as a matter of fact...long story..I'll spare you all). But, I don't go to chuch regularly, and have a mish-mash of beliefs that dont' fit into any particular Christian church, and tend not to take the Bible at face value...so...hence the agnostic-ish disclaimer.l
makap 04:03 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

Meaning, I consider myself Christian and have been "saved" (several times, as a matter of fact...long story..I'll spare you all). But, I don't go to chuch regularly, and have a mish-mash of beliefs that dont' fit into any particular Christian church, and tend not to take the Bible at face value...so...hence the agnostic-ish disclaimer.l
The bible can be so difficult to understand.
SilverSabre25 04:04 PM 03-14-2013
My own religion :P

I guess my beliefs are divided fairly well between Christian and Metaphysical/spiritual/new-agey stuff. But really, a lot of the "other" is able to be easily restated within a Christian framework so I usually just say that I'm Christian-inspired. Not that I have to explain myself to many people.

If pressed, I'll also say that I"m spiritual but don't subscribe to any one organized religion.

And once I had to go so far as to say to one obnoxious, pushy friend, "If God wanted me to be part of a church, God would call or inspire me to be part of one."
Sugar Magnolia 04:05 PM 03-14-2013
No choice for Judaism?!? I'm not Jewish, but have great respect for the religion.
Heidi 04:11 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by makap:
I am a Christian. I love & believe in our Lord Jesus Christ with all my heart and soul and do my best every day to show it.

I love every person I meet regardless of their beliefs or lifestyles because that is what I believe my God wants me to do. I forgive everyone, although it may be difficult and it may take me a while at times but I do pray for guidance whenever I feel others do me wrong. In fact I pray all the time.

I want to live my life to be as close as Jesus as I can. I feel that I fall so short so much of the time but I do know that I am human and I believe that I am forgiven because no one knows what is really in my/your heart like God does and I keep trying to be a better person every day.

I pray for knowledge, wisdom and understanding from God all of the time and I really want to live my life pleasing him in every way.

To say G D or to use the term Jesus Christ as when cussing or when upset, I am very offended by this.

To me, this includes people of other religions blessing me, so if someone said "May Allah bless you" to me, I would take it as a gift

All I can say is God knows what is truly in your heart and he is the ultimate judge.

I do not allow my dc children to be anything but loving, kind and gentle at all times. If one is truly excited and says OMG in a context not intended to be anything but for good I do not think it is a bad thing.
the bolded sentences.
daycarediva 04:32 PM 03-14-2013
Agnostic.

Raised baptist, married to a recovering Catholic.
MotherNature 04:49 PM 03-14-2013
Christian, but a progressive denomination. Belong to a United Church of Christ church. Very liberal...
Msdunny 05:19 PM 03-14-2013
I am a good ol' conservative Southern Baptist. . My dh is a full- time youth minister in our church. I tell all my parents when I interview them that dh is a minister and that we will have Bible stories and say (sing) the blessing every day. I am from a fairly small southern town, and I have never had a problem with this. I think everyone expects that around here.
Michael 07:18 PM 03-14-2013
I am gnostic.
frgsonmysox 07:22 PM 03-14-2013
I am slightly Pagan, neo druidism, and also slightly Atheist.
CedarCreek 07:49 PM 03-14-2013
As I said in the other thread,I lean toward agnostic. I was raised baptist but not really..my Mom put us on a bus to go to church every Sunday and never went with us. She just wanted a break. I didn't get too much from it.

As an adult, I've tried to sift through the different religions to see if any fit me. I tried attending a methodist church with my sons and dh but we never felt fully welcome and I did not feel the calling to be there.

I am open to the possibility of God. Very much so. I want to believe he is there. But then the "logical" and analytical side of me kicks in and I have way too many questions. Questions inside of questions.

So I say more agnostic because of all that.
SquirrellyMama 07:54 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
I am gnostic.
I've never met a gnostic before. I honestly didn't know anyone practiced it anymore. Interesting, how does that play out in your life?

K
MNMum 08:04 PM 03-14-2013
I was loosely raised Lutheran. Attended a small Lutheran College. Worked at my large Lutheran Church from 14 yo-22 yo. Now we built our house across the street from above mentioned church, thinking we would become more involved. I haven't felt the calling. My husband is atheist/agnostic, he will go along, but not excitedly. I have felt drawn to the small UUC church, but haven't made the plunge to attend yet. I don't offer any sort of Christian teaching at daycare, we do not routinely pray before meals.
LK5kids 09:10 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I never knew what agnostic was ( will read up on it now), but also tend not to take the Bible literally.
Starburst 09:48 PM 03-14-2013
I dont really consider myself agnostic, athiest, or religous. My family is nonpracticing catholic, my bf's family is nonpractaciing baptist but he went to private catholic schools all his life and wants are children to do the same- and he said when we get married he wants us to go to (catholic) church. My mom says she wants to start going to church again but wants a non-denominational church. I consider myself to just be 'spiritual' I'm just not into organized religion- there are some religions or aspects of certain religions that I agree with and believe in. I kind of would consider what I believe to be in the realm between christianity/catholisism and wiccan/pagan (and no, I do not practice witchcraft- its more about the nature aspects and positive energy) but sometimes I think that focusing too much on a religion and what their beliefs are can sometimes (not always but sometimes) get in the way of just focusing on your own spiritual connection to the creator and savior (or what ever it is you beleive in) and I think that is why some people fall into the trap of cults that mascarade as mainstream religion churches but "different"- like that church Fellowship of the Martyrs on that Lisa Ling special (Im sorry if this offends anyone but the leader of that church was a nutcase and I'm sure it was a cult). I always have been into researching cultures since I was little and I try to respect and understand most cultures and try to keep an open mind about different religious beliefs (there are a few I absolutly do NOT agree with but I usually just try to be respectful and ignore it). I've had friends who were all over the place- christian, catholic, seventh day adventist, mormon, Jahovas witnesses, agnostic, athiest, wiccan (I don't think I had any friends who were satanist- and honestly I probably wouldn't want to be associated with anyone who lives off of bad energy).
Lyss 10:57 PM 03-14-2013
Atheist.

I was raised in a family that didn't believe anything, but I did experienced church and Sunday school with friends and foster families in elementary/jr high ages but I really struggled with the belief in the system. My mother also put me in Awanas for a bit but I didn't last long, being humiliated repeatedly for my "lack of spiritual upbringing" by the leader was not a pleasant experience. I'm sure these experiences (which I know are in no way the standard) coupled with my upbringing play into my beliefs, or lack there of, but I personally feel even if I was raised in a strict religious family I still would have struggled.

Honestly I could care less what the people around me believe, as long as they have equal respect from my choice, as its not up to me to say what's right or to judge them just because they don't believe the same. I live my life trying to be a good person and respect others, which I think is most important.
AnneCordelia 02:28 AM 03-15-2013
I am atheist. I have absolutely zero faith or belief in a higher being or god. I don't think the evidence is there in the least. I believe more in a Star Trek view of the universe. My personal belief is that all current gods are reflections of gods past...a creation of mankind to rationalize mortality and regulate morality.

I was raised in a very devout Mormon home but left the church in a mass exodus with my entire family at age 20. My husband was raised catholic but more slipped away from the church rather than made a conscious decision to leave. He is atheist now too. We are raising our children to be free thinkers too.
MsLaura529 04:54 AM 03-15-2013
Christian - raised Lutheran, married a Lutheran, and continue to raise my kids that way. My dad's side of the family comes directly from Latvia, which is a largely Lutheran country. My mom was raised Catholic, but married a Lutheran so then she was shunned. I don't try to push my beliefs onto anyone, as I'm not totally understanding of everything myself, but I'm still learning.
snbauser 05:25 AM 03-15-2013
Catholic. I was raised semi-Methodist. We went to church occassionally but that was it. I converted about 17 years ago after meeting my husband and attending Mass with him regularly. We go to church almost every Sunday. My kids were Baptised and received First Communion in the Catholic Church. My oldest received Confirmation. My younger two go to religion classes after Mass on Sundays during the school year. My middle son will be Confirmed next year.
just_peachy 06:05 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
Christian, but a progressive denomination. Belong to a United Church of Christ church. Very liberal...
Yup, I'm a (mostly) left wing liberal Christian too. We belong to a non-denominational Christian church that we attend every Sunday. I LOVE it. Rock band, only 70 minutes long, great message. The message that is preached the most is the bible's teachings on love, and "sweeping your own porch" or taking care of your own ish and leaving everyone else alone when it comes to their life choices. If we all did this, our "neighborhood" would be so tidy!

I live in Portland Oregon which is known to be pretty liberal. My best friends are all agnostic or atheists and it's NEVER caused a problem. If anything, they've come to me and said "thanks for showing me that Christians don't suck so bad after all." Haha, so sweet my friends are!
Jewels 06:36 AM 03-15-2013
I dont believe in Organized religion, but I believe, I believe instead of worshipping god on Sundays, he would be really happy to see me spending the day with my family, enjoying life, being a good person.
Michael 09:13 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
I've never met a gnostic before. I honestly didn't know anyone practiced it anymore. Interesting, how does that play out in your life?

K
There are more then you realize. How a gnostic thinks:

Atheist - Knows there is no god

Gnostic - Knows there is a God

Both are correct, everything is in your belief system. Daycare.com is one result in my life that came from my beliefs.
SquirrellyMama 09:22 AM 03-15-2013
There are more then you realize. How a gnostic thinks:

Atheist - Knows there is no god

Gnostic - Knows there is a God

Both are correct, everything is in your belief system. Daycare.com is one result in my life that came from my beliefs.
I thought gnostic was different from agnostic?

K
mom2many 09:31 AM 03-15-2013
Christian- non denomination. We went to church regularly when my kids were growing up and I was very active in the children's ministry & women's scrap booking ministry.

We left that church 5 years ago and haven't found a new church yet to attend regularly.

I am currently involved in a weekly bible study with a group of women that live on my block.
CedarCreek 09:58 AM 03-15-2013

K
It is. From what I understand, agnostic is open to the POSSIBILITY of God. Michael is saying that Gnostic KNOWS there is a God.

I think.
Michael 10:06 AM 03-15-2013

K
You are being squirrely with me. How do you interpret your belief system? Do you side with one or the other more so?
Sugar Magnolia 10:15 AM 03-15-2013
Ok, I keep checking back on this thread to see if anyone else noticed our Jewish brothers and sisters have been omitted?!? I mean, it IS a major world religion. I guess I am sensitive because I have Jewish clients who have increased my awareness of Judaism. Shalom.
SquirrellyMama 10:19 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
It is. From what I understand, agnostic is open to the POSSIBILITY of God. Michael is saying that Gnostic KNOWS there is a God.

I think.
You are being squirrely with me. How do you interpret your belief system? Do you side with one or the other more so?
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be squirrelly I always thought that agnostics knew there was a God but didn't have a particular god. Sort of an "intelligent designer" but not a concrete notion.

I thought gnostics had the view of a Christian God but had more of a mystical spiritualism. It has been a while since I learned about the gnostics.

I am conservative Christian. One half of my friends thinks I'm horribly conservative while the other half thinks I'm fantastically liberal

I trust the Bible implicitly. It is God inspired and infallible. How I live that in my life is why my friends and family have conflicting views of my conservative/liberal status.

K
Michael 10:24 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Ok, I keep checking back on this thread to see if anyone else noticed our Jewish brothers and sisters have been omitted?!? I mean, it IS a major world religion. I guess I am sensitive because I have Jewish clients who have increased my awareness of Judaism. Shalom.
We don't want to offend anyone here. I added Jewish to the poll but had to remove Rastafarian (it did not have any votes).
Brooksie 10:24 AM 03-15-2013
Agnostic. I'm VERY spiritual but not religious in any way.
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 03-15-2013
I noticed it too but then you had already mentioned it so I didn't feel the need to bring it up.

The OP also gave an option of answering "Other", I assume because there are so many different religious beliefs that she couldn't possibly list them all.

That's my perspective anyways. I also think that maybe you noticed the absence of immediately since you live in an area where Judaism is more prominent.....
Sugar Magnolia 10:32 AM 03-15-2013
We don't want to offend anyone here. I added Jewish to the poll but had to remove Rastafarian (it did not have any votes).

Thanks Michael! I wasn't offended, just thought it was odd. I am not Jewish, but felt they should be included.
Willow 10:40 AM 03-15-2013
I was baptized and confirmed Catholic but at this point in my life don't identify as Christian.

I can't believe that the God I know in my heart would need to sacrifice His only son through an act of torture and murder to save His people. I always struggled greatly with that growing up, no joke seeing the movie The Passion pushed me over the edge. My God would ever need to make that part of His plan. He's all knowing. All powerful. There would have been another way. I don't believe in the Bible or in the hierarchy the Catholic church sets up. God is supposed to be the one and only, but they dress men in gold robes, give them crowns and scepters and put them on thrones in "castles" people journey to from all over the world to pray to. I disagree with tithing immensely and this notion that religion should be free from governing law.

I don't believe in hell. I believe here on earth we are in some version of "hell" because we are away from God and that's the definition of hell to me. If we learn what we need to we ascend into heaven and don't need to come back. If we don't then we review what we have yet to sort out and come back for another go until we become enlightened enough.

My faith in a higher being is unshakable. God is in our lives in every way every single day.

Sounds stupid but I am inclined to believe a lot about what Sylvia Browne says about the afterlife. Her description of us reincarnating until our souls learn what they need to, the planning of our journeys here on earth with other kindred souls....I think that's why some people we meet in life seem to "get it" while others flail around and struggle their entire lives.

I am intrigued with the term "gnostic." I want to say that's what she has declared herself and it's probably the closest I've heard to what I feel I am.
SilverSabre25 10:54 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I was baptized and confirmed Catholic but at this point in my life don't identify as Christian.

I can't believe that the God I know in my heart would need to sacrifice His only son through an act of torture and murder to save His people. I always struggled greatly with that growing up, no joke seeing the movie The Passion pushed me over the edge. My God would ever need to make that part of His plan. He's all knowing. All powerful. There would have been another way. I don't believe in the Bible or in the hierarchy the Catholic church sets up. God is supposed to be the one and only, but they dress men in gold robes, give them crowns and scepters and put them on thrones in "castles" people journey to from all over the world to pray to. I disagree with tithing immensely and this notion that religion should be free from governing law.

I don't believe in hell. I believe here on earth we are in some version of "hell" because we are away from God and that's the definition of hell to me. If we learn what we need to we ascend into heaven and don't need to come back. If we don't then we review what we have yet to sort out and come back for another go until we become enlightened enough.

My faith in a higher being is unshakable. God is in our lives in every way every single day.

Sounds stupid but I am inclined to believe a lot about what Sylvia Browne says about the afterlife. Her description of us reincarnating until our souls learn what they need to, the planning of our journeys here on earth with other kindred souls,

I am intrigued with the term "gnostic." I want to say that's what she has declared herself and it's probably the closest I've heard to what I feel I am.
Thank you. You have just put into words something I have felt for a very long time re: Jesus/death/nasty method/etc.

But, I definitely believe that there's "something" out there. There have been too many moments just in my own life where I just knew that something bad had been averted through divine intervention. God, angels, whatever it was...my life has been saved and my children's lives/bodies have been saved by more than luck several times.

FWIW, as far as the afterlife, I do firmly believe in reincarnation. And while I've never heard of Sylvia Browne, my ideas on reincarnation are basically what you mentioned. I should look into this "gnostic" business.

And at the end of the day, the Shakespeare quote, "There is more in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than is dreamt of in your philosophy" comes to mind FREQUENTLY.
Texasjeepgirl 11:11 AM 03-15-2013
Athiest

When I was very young my parents took us to a non denominational church...When I was in junior high my stepdad was Jehovah's Witness.. so we did that tour for a few years while mom was married to him..
after I left home at 17.. she became a Mormon.. and now lives in UTAH

My first husband's family was Church of Christ so I did get babtized when I was 19.. shortly before we married...
Attended for several years... but gradually drifted out ...

AND.. I sent both of my daughters to St. Mary's Catholic School in our town.. from Kindergarten to 8th grade..
Both went on to public high school....

tenderhearts 11:43 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by makap:

I am also a born again Christian. Raised in a Christian home going to a Baptist church my whole life. I do not advertise my daycare as a "Christian" daycare but I do follow my beliefs within.
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:47 AM 03-15-2013
I am a non-denominational Christian. I was raised in a Christian household and made the decision to be a Christ-follower 3 years ago. Everything changed! My business is advertised as a Christian daycare.

I'm very conservative but am friends with many who are not. I am what I feel I need to be as a Christ-follower.
Willow 12:04 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Thank you. You have just put into words something I have felt for a very long time re: Jesus/death/nasty method/etc.
Have you ever asked a priest once about that? I've asked many and no one had an answer other than to sputter, or tell me it was none of my business to question and dismiss me on the spot unfortunately.

We had to write a letter to the Bishop John Kinney before confirmation. Mine was a mix of explaining my intense desire to live a life of service but also feeling confused by many of the church's teachings. I wrote it has me conflicted about being confirmed at all. He chose five of all the letters all the kids being confirmed with those in my church to hand write letters back to. Guess who was one of the five....

He wrote something along the lines of despite what some assume or choose to assert no clergy or laity have all the answers and they can be wrong. All we can go by is what rings true. He himself has doubted at times, but ultimately trusts in what he's committed his life to. Deep down he believes all people have a conscience that God speaks to them through. If we are open and willing to hear it we will be guided to do what's right. He spoke of consequences, but also of forgiveness should we at times make wrong choices.

I think what he may have been trying to do is persuade me that getting confirmed was the "right" thing to do.

My parents about lost their minds with delight, until I shared that I had a completely different perception of his words lol

Ultimately I caved under pressure and went through with my confirmation, even though my priest at the time shared my interpretation and took the words to mean it should be my choice and my choice alone based on what I felt was the right path for me to take. If it didn't feel right I shouldn't do it. He told my parents if I changed my mind even on the walk up it should be respected. He said the desire to seek the truth was a gift, and found it refreshing that I even cared since so many parishioners just showed up every Sunday and didn't give a second though to what they were worshiping or how they applied the lessons to their lives.

The pressure I speak of? My parents threatened to kick me out if I didn't go through with it, my father went so far as to speak of disownment, so what's a 16 year old supposed to do??

Of course they don't remember making any such threats, but then again many in the Catholic church have a conveniently horrible memory similarly

As a mother I don't want to put any such pressure on my kids. I still have that letter as it freed me from my religions oppression (even if that wasn't the original intent lol). It gave me the permission I felt I needed to question, and ultimately listen to what I felt was right. I had them baptized shortly after birth out of straight fear that I may be wrong and they'd be condemned to an actual hell with fire and brimstone and all that but other than that I've merely chosen to teach them to listen to their hearts, that God will speak to them that way and guide them better than I ever could. When they are older if they are guided to partake in organized religion that'll be their business but I don't want them to feel the fear, shame or guilt I do today for betraying a set of beliefs I never really bought into anyway.

I don't believe that's what my God would ever intend for any of His children.

If you've never seen the movie The Passion you should SS. If they ever made a similarly realistic portrayal of Noah's Ark I think it would have had the same effect on me. Or God asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac - for kicks? The killing of all men, women and innocent children in Sodom and Gomorrah? Onan - for merely ejaculating? God striking down every first born in Egypt? I just don't believe in a God that manipulative, spiteful or just plain evil. You can't say God is forgiving, all knowing, compassionate and otherwise perfect in every way....when He's supposedly doing all that.

I just doesn't work both ways in my mind or heart.......

ETA - despite all of my personal feelings on Christianity I still respect others who have been guided to believe otherwise. My parents and I have since come to a decent place of understanding in that regard.

I don't think it's something anyone should ever judge ANYONE else for. We only know what we feel in our own hearts, and no one should be faulted for doing what's best for them in their own lives as long as it doesn't harm others.
Oneluckymom 12:41 PM 03-15-2013
I am spiritual and follow Sufi teachings. I believe that all religions lead to the same source...they are merely a path with one goal in mind: to connect with the ONE.
saved4always 12:53 PM 03-15-2013
I was raised as a Catholic but I became a born again Christian 12 years ago. We go to a non-denominational church that believes the Bible is God's Word. I am more right leaning in my beliefs. I work in a daycare at my church so it is totally advertised as a Christian daycare.
Evansmom 02:03 PM 03-15-2013
I keep checking this thread to see if there are any other Buddhists on this forum...so far it's just me

Anyone else?
Blackcat31 02:08 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I keep checking this thread to see if there are any other Buddhists on this forum...so far it's just me

Anyone else?
I know several providers who are Buddhists. (unfortunately they aren't on this particular forum board) but you are definitely not alone
Evansmom 02:20 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I know several providers who are Buddhists. (unfortunately they aren't on this particular forum board) but you are definitely not alone
Thanks blackcat, I know other Buddhists just not Buddhist child care providers. But oh well! Glad to know you know some .
dEHmom 02:57 PM 03-15-2013

Anyone else?
I wouldn't consider myself Buddhist, I don't consider myself anything. I don't believe in A GOD, but I believe in higher powers.

I have a lot of appreciation for the Buddhist way though. And if I HAD to pick something, I would pick Buddhism.
dEHmom 03:00 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I am spiritual and follow Sufi teachings. I believe that all religions lead to the same source...they are merely a path with one goal in mind: to connect with the ONE.
I'm not familiar with Sufi, but this is what I believe. I believe in ONE. Everything is ONE
littlemissmuffet 03:07 PM 03-15-2013
Sorry to those I upset regarding leaving out Judaism... it was an honest ommision and definitely not done on purpose... there is a max of 10 options available for polls, and I listed the first 10 that came to mind. My best friend is Jewish, so no offence.
Sugar Magnolia 03:38 PM 03-15-2013
No offense taken, really, just thought Judaism.should be a choice, besides "other" But I guess it was moot,.since nobody checked the new Judaism choice anyways.
crazydaycarelady 04:00 PM 03-15-2013
Haha.........I thought gnostic just meant that Michael forgot the A!

I don't really know what I believe. I guess I am agnostic. I am open to the idea of God but I have a hard time believing a God would allow such suffering in the world (not only by humans but particularly animals.)
momofboys 04:25 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Haha.........I thought gnostic just meant that Michael forgot the A!

I don't really know what I believe. I guess I am agnostic. I am open to the idea of God but I have a hard time believing a God would allow such suffering in the world (not only by humans but particularly animals.)
I am a Christian & although I can't totally answer your question I can explain my thoughts about.it. I believe God gives us free will to make our own choices about how we will behave & what we believe. If He did not do this we would be mindless robots following Him. I think he wants us to choose to follow, not be forced. Because of.our free will poor choices are made which can result in suffering. But obviously That does not explain.why bad things happen.& I think that for me will always be a mystery.
Evansmom 06:46 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I wouldn't consider myself Buddhist, I don't consider myself anything. I don't believe in A GOD, but I believe in higher powers.

I have a lot of appreciation for the Buddhist way though. And if I HAD to pick something, I would pick Buddhism.
That's funny because that's exactly what I used to say before I finally admitted how much the teachings spoke to my heart and that I always was a Buddhist after all
Texasjeepgirl 08:23 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
haha.........i thought gnostic just meant that michael forgot the a!
me too...
Michael 09:42 PM 03-15-2013
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be squirrelly I always thought that agnostics knew there was a God but didn't have a particular god. Sort of an "intelligent designer" but not a concrete notion.

I thought gnostics had the view of a Christian God but had more of a mystical spiritualism. It has been a while since I learned about the gnostics.

I am conservative Christian. One half of my friends thinks I'm horribly conservative while the other half thinks I'm fantastically liberal

I trust the Bible implicitly. It is God inspired and infallible. How I live that in my life is why my friends and family have conflicting views of my conservative/liberal status.

K
Let me start out by writing I make no judgment in what others believe. What I believe is an ongoing process.
Those of you that are free thinkers have a similarity to Gnostics. 2000 years ago was not a good time to espouse different or opposing philosophies, theories and beliefs.

Gnostics have had good reason to stay a secret society for over 1600 years. Only in this century have they felt free to speak their beliefs without persecution. Many should read where the rift between Gnostics and Modern Christianity occurred with then Bishop Irenaeus. It was a Spiritual inquisition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irenaeus

Gnostics are passive in their descriptions of life and spirituality. They are movers of the subtle and have a vast understanding of the future because of their past lives.

A past Gnostic would be someone like Leonardo da Vinci. A future gnostic like Obe One Canobie. They have subliminal persuasion and move for the greater good of others.

Here are a couple of links that may interest:

http://www.essene.com/EarlyChurch/Or.../The_Wheel.htm

http://gnosticteachings.org/the-teac...of-gnosis.html
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I am a Christian & although I can't totally answer your question I can explain my thoughts about.it. I believe God gives us free will to make our own choices about how we will behave & what we believe. If He did not do this we would be mindless robots following Him. I think he wants us to choose to follow, not be forced. Because of.our free will poor choices are made which can result in suffering. But obviously That does not explain.why bad things happen.& I think that for me will always be a mystery.
Adam represented ALL decendents of mankind and when he used free will to sin, he left a legacy for all of mankind to be sinners and carry that burden.

God doesn't make or stop bad things from happening. I believe it is all about free will and the fall out from it.

I personally do not believe the "horrible" stories we hear/read about from biblical times are God doing any of it...it is the result of man and the choices that were made.

...and like you momofboys, some of it will always be a mystery and not completely explained, but that is also where I believe faith comes into play.

I have experienced some suffering in my life and lost people I have loved but I can also find positives to some of those experiences and seeing things happen that wouldn't have happened unless the suffering had happened first. (It IS hard to explain).
momofboys 07:32 AM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Adam represented ALL decendents of mankind and when he used free will to sin, he left a legacy for all of mankind to be sinners and carry that burden.

God doesn't make or stop bad things from happening. I believe it is all about free will and the fall out from it.

I personally do not believe the "horrible" stories we hear/read about from biblical times are God doing any of it...it is the result of man and the choices that were made.

...and like you momofboys, some of it will always be a mystery and not completely explained, but that is also where I believe faith comes into play.

I have experienced some suffering in my life and lost people I have loved but I can also find positives to some of those experiences and seeing things happen that wouldn't have happened unless the suffering had happened first. (It IS hard to explain).
Yep, yep ITA!
melilley 01:03 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
As I said in the other thread,I lean toward agnostic.

I am open to the possibility of God. Very much so. I want to believe he is there. But then the "logical" and analytical side of me kicks in and I have way too many questions. Questions inside of questions.

So I say more agnostic because of all that.
This is so me!
melilley 01:04 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
me too...
haha same here!
melilley 01:12 PM 03-16-2013
Wow, I didn't know that there were so many religions. I haven't heard of half of what some of you have mentioned on here! I was sort of brought up Christian. My parents were divorced since I was 3 and my father in his later years became religious (around when I was 10 or so), my mom, not at all. My father was a born again christian and took my sis and I to church when we went to his house. I have to say I don't have any good memories from attending the services. There were a few things that went on and things my father would say or tell us and I just never accepted his religion. I'm with CedarCreek. I do believe in God, but at the same time, there are so many questions, I could go on for days! I'm not sure what I would classify myself as, especially after seeing all the different religions/beliefs on this thread.
safechner 06:44 PM 03-16-2013
I believe in GOD but I do not believe any religious. I believe that God only make anyone the same, not different kind of religions. I was catholic that my mother's family are. Honestly, I don't know nothing much about Catholic and I am not interested to learn. That is just me....
Hazel 08:56 AM 03-18-2013
Raised Roman Catholic with 14 years of catholic education under my belt but I am now what is considered Pagan. I believe what I believe, it doesn't follow any one specific organized religion. HOWEVER my beliefs are mine and I have chosen to raise my children with a catholic education. Mainly bc I officially left the church AFTER my 20 year old had already started her education (she was 9) and my ex husband and I had agreed to raise our 10 year old catholic. They both know my choice bc it's more of a lifestyle and doesn't involve going to services or anything. I have 3 altars in our home, one to God, one to Goddess and one to my ancesters. Both my girls help me decorate our altars for the seasons.
This being said, my fiancée is Jewish, so we also celebrate the Jewish holidays in our home! My kids love it, I find learning about his heritage fascinating and its actually ALOT of fun around here!
Also, my DCPs all accept what I am, love that we do things for every holiday (including pagan holidays since they coincide with seasonal changes) and I've never had any complaints! I have a pentacle wreath on my front porch that is also seasonally decorated and Buddah in my garden! No one seems bothered in the least!
wdmmom 11:40 AM 03-18-2013
I was baptized in a Reformed Church. My grandparents were members there for many, many years and both were very devoted Christians.

My father is atheist. He doesn't buy into it. My mother has continued being a non-practicing Christian.

I was forced into attending church with my grandparents. When they didn't go, my mother found other members of the church to pick me up and take me. I was forced into Youth Group, Awanas and Sunday school. I was "kicked out" of Sunday school around the age of 13 because I "asked too many questions" yet no one could give me the answer.

After experiencing that, and experiencing many unimaginable things in my short life and after countless prayers and pleading and begging, only to no avail, I came to the conclusion that it was a waste of time that can't be proven to me in any way, shape or form.

Upon reaching adulthood, I looked into the practicality of religions and God(s). After reading countless articles, I have come to the conclusion that SCIENCE says polar opposite to what religion preaches.

I have had countless friends plead with me to join a church. I've even had ministers come to my door upon moving to town. I simply smile and say, "Did you know Albert Einstein, Steve Jobs, and many doctors are either atheist or agnostic?" That usually ends the conversation.
Meeko 02:52 PM 03-18-2013
LDS for the last 37 years.
youretooloud 05:01 PM 03-18-2013
I'm a Christian who follows a non Christian/lazy Christian lifestyle. I believe in respecting all other religions and don't feel like others are wrong, and only Christians are right.

I don't understand it when people say "God doesn't make mistakes" when they are talking about Gays. What does that even mean? Are they saying "God made them Gay, and it's not a mistake." ? or "God made them perfect and they chose their own path."? Because saying "God doesn't make mistakes" is very confusing and open to interpretation.
Starburst 05:28 PM 03-18-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I don't understand it when people say "God doesn't make mistakes" when they are talking about Gays. What does that even mean? Are they saying "God made them Gay, and it's not a mistake." ? or "God made them perfect and they chose their own path."? Because saying "God doesn't make mistakes" is very confusing and open to interpretation.
Some more concervative religious people usually use that to imply that gay people are falling into sin and that God didn't make them gay they "choose it" (a bit of the free will aspect) because they believe it is unnatural (since sex is used as a means for reproduction they rationalized the instincts of love must be a biological thing in order to procreate)- but actually today I was just doing homework for my anthropolgy class on Bonobos (primates who have the most similar DNA to humans of any animal) and it was talking about their social behaviors that are similar to that of humans because 1- females don't go into heat cycles like most other animals (even some primates) and 2- they have intercourse for both reproduction and pleasure (just like humans). They have also been recording in engaging in intimate activity face-to-face like humans too. They also tend to engage in these activities with opposite sex and same sex partners. Dolphins are also another animal that has sex for both reproduction and pleasure and they also have been found to "swing both ways".

Some of the more liberal religious groups believe that the bible teaches to accept everyone and that it is not your job to judge the sins of others because you have your own sins to worry about. This is more about the god give you the free will thing but also that he gives you challenges and brings certain people into your life to either test your acceptence and tolarence or to teach you about acceptence/tolarence.

There are actually gay christian groups, they say that since homosexuality is only referenced very few times in the bible and some of those passages aren't as littleral as they could be that they will follow the path and teachings of God and Jesus but they do not put too much enpheses on those specific parts but instead focus on being a good person. In my state there is actually a new law that just passed a year ago saying that it is illeagal for churches (or any group for that matter) to try to have "pray the gay away" type of programs/schools to try to "convert" gays into straight.
frgsonmysox 06:10 PM 03-18-2013
Thanks blackcat, I know other Buddhists just not Buddhist child care providers. But oh well! Glad to know you know some .
Honestly for years I said I leaned towards Buddhism and Paganism. I believe 1000 percent in karma and reincarnation. But I also believe in energies, that some would call Gods and Goddesses. I don't believe they are an actual being but more of an energy. I found that neo-druidism spoke the closest to my beliefs.
Willow 06:27 AM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Because saying "God doesn't make mistakes" is very confusing and open to interpretation.

It all depends on who you're talking to
youretooloud 07:02 AM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Some more concervative religious people usually use that to imply that gay people are falling into sin and that God didn't make them gay they "choose it" (a bit of the free will aspect) because they believe it is unnatural (since sex is used as a means for reproduction they rationalized the instincts of love must be a biological thing in order to procreate)- but actually today I was just doing homework for my anthropolgy class on Bonobos (primates who have the most similar DNA to humans of any animal) and it was talking about their social behaviors that are similar to that of humans because 1- females don't go into heat cycles like most other animals (even some primates) and 2- they have intercourse for both reproduction and pleasure (just like humans). They have also been recording in engaging in intimate activity face-to-face like humans too. They also tend to engage in these activities with opposite sex and same sex partners. Dolphins are also another animal that has sex for both reproduction and pleasure and they also have been found to "swing both ways".

Some of the more liberal religious groups believe that the bible teaches to accept everyone and that it is not your job to judge the sins of others because you have your own sins to worry about. This is more about the god give you the free will thing but also that he gives you challenges and brings certain people into your life to either test your acceptence and tolarence or to teach your acceptence/tolarence.

There are actually gay christian groups, they say that since homosexuality is only referenced very few times in the bible and some of those passages aren't as littleral as they could be that they will follow the path and teachings of God and Jesus but they do not put too much enpheses on those specific parts but instead focus on being a good person. In my state there is actually a new law that just passed a year ago saying that it is illeagal for churches (or any group for that matter) to try to have "pray the gay away" type of programs/schools to try to "convert" gays into straight.
Thank you.
WImom 12:59 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I dont believe in Organized religion, but I believe, I believe instead of worshipping god on Sundays, he would be really happy to see me spending the day with my family, enjoying life, being a good person.
I feel the same way. I do attend church (lutheran) on occasion and my kids attend sunday school weekly. They go with my mom. She has finally given up trying to make me go, I just don't feel I need to attend and I've always found church very boring. I also don't make my kids go to Sunday school if they don't want to but so far they do most weeks.
Binkybobo 05:36 AM 03-23-2013
Agnostic Atheist.
Attached: Agnostic+v+Gnostic+v+Atheist+v+Theist.jpg (15.8 KB) 
CedarCreek 07:44 AM 03-23-2013
That's pretty interesting,binky.

Now I'm not sure where I fit though.
Rachel 11:18 AM 03-23-2013
No offense taken, really, just thought Judaism.should be a choice, besides "other" But I guess it was moot,.since nobody checked the new Judaism choice anyways.
I just did and I was actually pretty shocked I'm the only one! Anyway, we are Jewish and religious and the daycare is also.
Michael 04:37 PM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I just did and I was actually pretty shocked I'm the only one! Anyway, we are Jewish and religious and the daycare is also.
Since most already voted and Jewish was added later, many probably voted for "other". You can only vote once in the poll.
Sugar Magnolia 06:31 AM 03-24-2013
Originally Posted by Rachel:
Wow, located in Jerusalem! Shalom!
Rachel 11:57 PM 03-24-2013
Wow, located in Jerusalem! Shalom!
Actually outside of it, but yes, our nearest major city is Jerusalem.
missjenny 07:05 AM 05-09-2013
Wow I not too many Muslims I see. Well I am an Ahmadi Muslim if anyone was curious.
Tags:beliefs, faith, religion
Reply Up