Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Question For Those That Claim Mileage
sahm1225 06:01 AM 02-06-2014
What is an average of the miles that you claim?
Last year I didn't track until the end of the year and had 458 miles. This year I sort of tracked it and I'm at about 1000 miles. Everything is pretty close by and most of the time I walk to the stores & bank.

I'm curious if I forgot to log some of my trips
kelsey's kids 07:22 AM 02-06-2014
I average about 5000 miles a year. When we go grocery shopping it is about a 50 mile trip 2 a month and we do 3 differnt school pick up and drop off morning lunch and afternoon. And 2 fields trips a week and druing the summer a field trip every day including a couple that are 2 hours away 1 direction.
Abigail 10:16 PM 02-07-2014
I don't track all my miles. What I did was the basic typical places I visited regularly for daycare or if it was a long distance like driving an hour for the changing table I purchased (then driving it a SECOND time because it didn't fit in our car! LOL) or driving to Tom Copeland's seminar a few hours away. I entered all my receipts and I type my location then I make a list of the common places. So in one column it has Walmart for example. Then I count how many times I visited Walmart and put that number in the blank. Then I mapquest the mileage from home round trip and put that in the next blank. Then it's math so like if I had 50 trips to Walmart at 1.25 miles away it was 62.5 miles for all Walmart trips. I did that for all my common places. Since I typed everything in excel I just had to search and "find all" and it automatically calculated my trips and once again used a formula for the mileage so it was beyond easy! Most of my mileage is in the city to the retail stores, grocery, and bank. I had about 800 miles for 2012 and this year I'll have more since I know I have all my receipts saved and will not do my tax stuff last minute!
Reply Up