Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>They Are Leaving, And That Is Fine By Me!
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:16 AM 10-02-2014
I've posted here before about a bully DCD that has DCG here 3 days a week. I've stood my ground regarding payment and hours.

Well, DCG had her 1st birthday last week. I participate with a food program, so that means she goes to the children's menu from the infant menu. I explained this to them the week before her birthday week.

For my program, breakfast is at 8:30 (children must arrive by 8:00 as the regulation is that kids should be in care at least 30 min prior to meal/snack), and lunch is at 11:30. No AM snack. No time, as the regulation is at least 2 hours between the beginning of one meal/snack and the beginning of the next meal/snack. No need, as it is only 3 hours. And besides, I only get reimbursed for 2 meals and 1 snack per kid per day...which is none of their business but matters a whole lot to me.

So, yesterday, DCD at drop-off and DCM at pick-up tell me that they want me to continue giving an AM snack. Not happy when I politely say no, and why.

They also tell me they want her to still do morning nap (she only sleeps about half the time). Again, not happy when I tell them it is a natural transition at her age and what HAS TO HAPPEN at group care by about 16-months anyway.

They also tell me that they do not want me to offer bottles and only sippy cups because "she hates it and they can't get her to use one at home." Again, not happy when I tell them training her to a cup is a parent responsibility. I told them I will continue to offer the cup to her here, but my main concern is that she drinks what she should at this point, not the delivery. Nor was I willing to be the bad guy.

Then I reiterated everything in a nice e-mail.

So, DCD drops off this morning and says they are giving 2-weeks (reason being they are able to get a hefty discount at the center by his work). It was a very friendly conversation, and although I will miss DCG, I am not unhappy to see them go. The icing on the cake was him asking if THIS can be one of the 2 weeks and will I refund him for this week (I collect the 2-weeks at enrollment). That was a big, fat no. I told him nope, it's already Thurdsay. I need time to fill the spot, that's the whole reason I require 2-weeks, and why I collect it up front.

Now to fill ANOTHER spot. My turnover is getting ridiculous. I'm not sure why so many people seem to think we providers will do anything and everything they ask, at an expense to ourselves, and are surprised and angry when we say no. All I can say is good luck at your new center. Centers are even less willing to bend on policies...
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 10-02-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I've posted here before about a bully DCD that has DCG here 3 days a week. I've stood my ground regarding payment and hours.

Well, DCG had her 1st birthday last week. I participate with a food program, so that means she goes to the children's menu from the infant menu. I explained this to them the week before her birthday week.

For my program, breakfast is at 8:30 (children must arrive by 8:00 as the regulation is that kids should be in care at least 30 min prior to meal/snack), and lunch is at 11:30. No AM snack. No time, as the regulation is at least 2 hours between the beginning of one meal/snack and the beginning of the next meal/snack. No need, as it is only 3 hours. And besides, I only get reimbursed for 2 meals and 1 snack per kid per day...which is none of their business but matters a whole lot to me.

So, yesterday, DCD at drop-off and DCM at pick-up tell me that they want me to continue giving an AM snack. Not happy when I politely say no, and why.

They also tell me they want her to still do morning nap (she only sleeps about half the time). Again, not happy when I tell them it is a natural transition at her age and what HAS TO HAPPEN at group care by about 16-months anyway.

They also tell me that they do not want me to offer bottles and only sippy cups because "she hates it and they can't get her to use one at home." Again, not happy when I tell them training her to a cup is a parent responsibility. I told them I will continue to offer the cup to her here, but my main concern is that she drinks what she should at this point, not the delivery. Nor was I willing to be the bad guy.

So, DCD drops off this morning and says they are giving 2-weeks (reason being they are able to get a hefty discount at the center by his work). It was a very friendly conversation, and although I will miss DCG, I am not unhappy to see them go. The icing on the cake was him asking if THIS can be one of the 2 weeks and will I refund him for this week (I collect the 2-weeks at enrollment). That was a big, fat no. I told him nope, it's already Thurdsay. I need time to fill the spot, that's the whole reason I require 2-weeks, and why I collect it up front.

Now to fill ANOTHER spot. My turnover is getting ridiculous. I'm not sure why so many people seem to think we providers will do anything and everything they ask, at an expense to ourselves, and are surprised and angry when we say no. All I can say is good luck at your new center. Centers are even less willing to bend on policies...
I've been in the same boat before. I also prepare parents when their child is going to be turning 1 yrs old an what those changes mean for them the same as you did.

I understand parents wanting certain things for their kids but I too, will not take on more than I am really required or have the time to do. Some things are just the way they are and are non-negotiable.

I do think parents think we WILL bend over backwards for them because a lot of providers do. I see it everyday. Providers afraid to lose kids (income) so they change up the things they are willing to do FOR parents in order to keep the family (income). Unless all providers can afford to stand their ground, I don't think that idea (for parents) will change.

Anyways, good for you for standing firm on your policies and yah! that your PITA family is leaving.
SignMeUp 09:50 AM 10-02-2014
I totally support Kidz's process and that you are just fine with the outcome.

I think that many parents have no understanding of how much our 'business end' has changed over recent years. Often they still think we are just 'that lady down the street who keeps kids', and that we have extreme flexibility that, from our end (licensing, laws, food program, QRIS, 'best practice', etc.) Is no longer possible.
TwinKristi 01:39 PM 10-02-2014
Yeah I realize more and more that parents really have no idea what we do all day and how much time it takes. It's like teachers at school. We see the 8:30-3:30 day but not the before, during and after work that goes into the finished product. Both thankless jobs that are SO important!! Crazy how backwards it is.

Sorry that you have to replace someone but it sounds like it's for the best anyway. I have a family moving and this is their last week and I'm sooooo happy! I will miss DCG but her parents are just whackadoos and I was ready to term when he brought up the idea of moving! LOL awwww so sorry to see you go!!
KidGrind 07:25 AM 10-03-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:

Good for you!

Standing your ground feels good! I can afford for parents to term. My professional happiness cannot afford to bend and cater to parents by muting my policies.
cheerfuldom 02:10 PM 10-03-2014
you know I always thought parents would appreciate consistent, long term care but am saddened to have experienced that the majority of parents will rip their kid out of care at the drop of a hat. they will put their child through the transition to a new caregiver over an issue like an AM snack. a 12 month old is more than capable of going 3 hours between meals. I just feel bad for kids that are shuttled to and fro while parents try to find a caregiver that will bend to every whim.
Reply Up