Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm So Mad I Could Cry
Msdunny 07:02 AM 01-21-2020
I have a history with a family that I know many of you have read about. Mom and dad bring 2 sisters sick, and will not take responsibility to willings keep their sick girls home. I have a 48-hours exclusion for immunizations that I put in place for this year. Mom knows about it because the last time baby had shots, she told me she would schedule them for Fridays from now on.

Fast forward to today. Baby had a follow-up appt. for the RVS she spent a week in the hospital with (last week). She brought her in and said "I went ahead and her her 6 month shots done today, You are just going to have to watch her for reactions." I didn't reply. I know I should have sent her right back out the door. I didn't

I am not here to debate the policy. I know some don't do this. I'm here to vent. And to say I will probably terminate at this point. The blatent disregard for my policy is just beyond me. Talk me down off the wall if I'm going too far, please.

Ariana 07:08 AM 01-21-2020
If you have policies you have to enforce them otherwise you will feel resentful. You know that already though!!! If you term everyone who doesn’t follow policy rather than enforcing them you will never have clients.

We have all been there
Msdunny 07:19 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
If you have policies you have to enforce them otherwise you will feel resentful. You know that already though!!! If you term everyone who doesn’t follow policy rather than enforcing them you will never have clients.

We have all been there
I agree. I already had to enforce one policy when I asked her to keep the girls home when baby had RSV. And when I wouldn't give tylenol. And when I wouldn't use a Rock N Play for the baby to sleep in. And more. I've had to enforce too many with this family. It's time to be done.

I'm just angry that she acted as if I work for her. I don't. ugh.
CountryRoads 07:31 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I have a history with a family that I know many of you have read about. Mom and dad bring 2 sisters sick, and will not take responsibility to willings keep their sick girls home. I have a 48-hours exclusion for immunizations that I put in place for this year. Mom knows about it because the last time baby had shots, she told me she would schedule them for Fridays from now on.

Fast forward to today. Baby had a follow-up appt. for the RVS she spent a week in the hospital with (last week). She brought her in and said "I went ahead and her her 6 month shots done today, You are just going to have to watch her for reactions." I didn't reply. I know I should have sent her right back out the door. I didn't

I am not here to debate the policy. I know some don't do this. I'm here to vent. And to say I will probably terminate at this point. The blatent disregard for my policy is just beyond me. Talk me down off the wall if I'm going too far, please.

I understand.

My policies are very blunt and clear so I get very upset when parents don't follow them. I take it as they have no respect for me or my business.

I've learned that you have to speak up or parents will always walk all over you.

If it were me, I would send her message saying something like:

"Hey dcm! I'll allow it this one time, but per daycare policies, shot appointments need to made on Fridays. Thank you for your cooperation!"
Ariana 08:16 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I agree. I already had to enforce one policy when I asked her to keep the girls home when baby had RSV. And when I wouldn't give tylenol. And when I wouldn't use a Rock N Play for the baby to sleep in. And more. I've had to enforce too many with this family. It's time to be done.

I'm just angry that she acted as if I work for her. I don't. ugh.
I had one family like this. I was CONSTANTLY reiterating policies. They never read my contract. It was actually really great practice for building up my backbone...now nothing really phases me.
Unregistered 08:49 AM 01-21-2020
I recently spent 8 week stretch with a long term client who challenged a policy each and every week from their start date this school year. Sometimes multiple times a week. By week four I started advertising and contacting wait list families. I also used the time to practice copying and pasting reminders of policy & contract and enforcing them. I now have wording and sample emails for multiple issues for future use if needed. I had three potential new clients of good fit and started interviewing. Then another illness policy was being challenged and wording used once again telling me what I would be doing. I did an immediate term.

My first immediate term ever. It sucked doing it, but I don't regret it.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, provider responsibility
Reply Up