Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You do Sign-In and Sign-Outs?
Abigail 10:18 PM 08-27-2010
I know I could easily create a binder with already printed Sign In and Sign Out Sheets..........what do you include? Can anyone take a picture or attach a link on how they set up their document?

The other option is to have it on the computer, which I would consider, but in the end I think just having it on a sheet of paper would be much better! I can just imagine having "troubles" with a computer and keeping it on all day and having it up and running before the first child arrives.
SunflowerMama 03:04 AM 08-28-2010
I don't have a sign-in sheet. I'm on the Food Program so each month I print the attendance from there and put it in my binder.
alyssyn 07:43 AM 08-28-2010
I have something very simple. I use manila file folders for each childs' sheet. I decorate the cover so it doesn't look plain, add child's name. On the inside, I have the sign-in / sign-out sheet, any receipts, daily reminders, ect....
This way I know the parent sees anything I send home,also!
DBug 10:49 AM 08-28-2010
I have a clipboard hanging on a hook by the door. I print out weekly forms, with the kids' names vertically and the days of the week horizontally. Under each day, there is a box for the time for drop-off, pick-up, and then the parent's initials for that day. I've never had an issue with parents not wanting other parents to see their hours, but if you did want to keep it confidential, you could do one sheet per child (on legal size, perhaps), and then fold each sheet in half to hide the details. Write each child's name on the outside of their sheet, and clip them all on your clipboard. Parents would just unfold theirs to sign in/out, and then fold it back up. I've never tried it, and it does sound a bit cumbersome, but that's what my licensing lady suggested when I was talking with the county about getting licensed (since all paperwork for them has to be confidential).
caitlin 06:30 PM 08-28-2010
In the first column I have the kid's names, the second column is the name of the person who normally does pickup, a space for time in and a signature is the third and fourth coumn and then the last two columns are for time out and signature. I have all of the children on one sheet and use one sheet a day and I keep these on a clipboard hanging by the cubbies. The bottom of the paper is blank so if someone else is doing pickup or if there is a change in pickup time I have parents write a note there and initail it. That way it is recorded on the day it will happen and I don't have millions of little notes floating around everywhere. I find this to be easiest for my situation.
Abigail 07:31 PM 08-28-2010
Originally Posted by alyssyn:
I have something very simple. I use manila file folders for each childs' sheet. I decorate the cover so it doesn't look plain, add child's name. On the inside, I have the sign-in / sign-out sheet, any receipts, daily reminders, ect....
This way I know the parent sees anything I send home,also!
I think I would be more organized if I had all the children on one sheet. Do you ever have an issue with knowing how many children you had each day, do you have to go back and open every child's folder for any reason? I like that your way is confidential and other postings have given the same "one child per folder" example, but for record keeping I wonder if all the children can be on the same page for record-keeping. Payments would not be listed, but the child's first and last name would be listed so I don't see a problem. What do you think?

Also, do you only have ONE signature from the parent at pickup only?
Abigail 08:09 PM 08-28-2010
I know I can only have 7 children, so I made enough lines for 7 children. ONE WEEK can fit on a page and EVERY CHILD will also be on that page. It will keep things simple!

I don't need a blank for who usually picks up because I'm the only one who will be working at the daycare. Give me ideas!

When I enroll children, I will type their names and keep it alphabetical so the same line will end up being the same in general throughout the sheets. Just change the date every week and you're good to go.

***Here is a picture, this is my best idea yet.
Attached: Attendance Sheet.jpg (82.0 KB) 
caitlin 08:41 PM 08-28-2010
I've always done a sign in signature, sign out signature and times just to cover my own butt and once my sign in/out sheets were took to court to help get a custody issue solved. The sign in/out sheets with signatures paired with a child's daily sheet were proof enough for the judge that custody needed to be shifted to the other parent. Because of this I recommend everyone use signatures for signing in and out.
Abigail 08:56 PM 08-28-2010
Originally Posted by caitlin:
I've always done a sign in signature, sign out signature and times just to cover my own butt and once my sign in/out sheets were took to court to help get a custody issue solved. The sign in/out sheets with signatures paired with a child's daily sheet were proof enough for the judge that custody needed to be shifted to the other parent. Because of this I recommend everyone use signatures for signing in and out.
So, should I change my sign-in initials and sign-out initials both to signatures to get the parent's name? I have room to type it, lol.
Childminder 07:21 AM 08-30-2010
I use a calendar page for each child, each month, that the parent initials each day. The parent signs at the bottom at the end of the month. On each day I circle the 'meal' the child has been fed and I have a column that I use to handle billing and payments.
Can't figure out how to attach the pic, sorry
Abigail 12:39 PM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I use a calendar page for each child, each month, that the parent initials each day. The parent signs at the bottom at the end of the month. On each day I circle the 'meal' the child has been fed and I have a column that I use to handle billing and payments.
Can't figure out how to attach the pic, sorry
Attachments: Click to post a message, then....
1. Click on the paperclip image (Attachments)
2. Click "Browse" to find the image and click "Upload" to the right
3. Before clicking "Close this Window" make sure your image name is shown under "Current Attachments" which only appears after you've uploaded
caitlin 04:29 PM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
So, should I change my sign-in initials and sign-out initials both to signatures to get the parent's name? I have room to type it, lol.
That's up to you, sometimes I'll have parents in a hurry who just scribble or initial their name and I think that would still count.
missnikki 06:42 AM 08-31-2010
I have tried both ways (one sheet per child per month/ one sheet for all over one month) and I have found that one sheet per child per month worked best for me. In a binder with alpha-tabs, the paper is laid out 'landscaped' and has a calendar on it with two spots next to the date. One to sign in, one to sign out for each date. I black out weekends and holidays, I can use WordArt to enter messages in certain dates as a shadowy font (Picture Day or minimum day, etc...)
The reason I use one page per child is, like another poster, I had to go to court with 1 year and 7 months of records. at one sheet per kid per month all I had to bring in was 19 pieces of paper and no other irrelevant information was on there. It was funny to look at since all 19 pages had the dad's signature all over it, and not once did the mom sign it. Guess who won that case.
Anyhow, I've tried to upload an attachment but it won't let me attach a word doc. If you want to see /steal it, pm me.
Childminder 08:13 AM 08-31-2010
Attachments: Click to post a message, then....
1. Click on the paperclip image (Attachments)
2. Click "Browse" to find the image and click "Upload" to the right
3. Before clicking "Close this Window" make sure your image name is shown under "Current Attachments" which only appears after you've uploaded
Yeah, won't except it cause it's not a jpg or gif. Sorry.
tenderhearts 09:02 AM 08-31-2010
I have a file stapeled together for each child. On the front it's the payment record sheet, stapled to each is attendance pages, has the date, arrivial time and out time and a space for comments ect. I write in on each childs in and outs, it's easier for me.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:32 AM 08-31-2010
I dont do a sign in or out. I use an attendance sheet and marl with an x when they are here, highlight them when they have paid. Ive never even entertained the idea of signing in and out.
Unregistered 01:34 PM 09-01-2010
We have a binder on a table right at our entrance and parents and sign them in and out each day and at what time. We also have a school bus that comes to pick up and drop off children at different times and we have to initial when they come & go. We were told it was mandatory to keep these logs.
Abigail 09:58 PM 09-02-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I have tried both ways (one sheet per child per month/ one sheet for all over one month) and I have found that one sheet per child per month worked best for me. In a binder with alpha-tabs, the paper is laid out 'landscaped' and has a calendar on it with two spots next to the date. One to sign in, one to sign out for each date. I black out weekends and holidays, I can use WordArt to enter messages in certain dates as a shadowy font (Picture Day or minimum day, etc...)
The reason I use one page per child is, like another poster, I had to go to court with 1 year and 7 months of records. at one sheet per kid per month all I had to bring in was 19 pieces of paper and no other irrelevant information was on there. It was funny to look at since all 19 pages had the dad's signature all over it, and not once did the mom sign it. Guess who won that case.
Anyhow, I've tried to upload an attachment but it won't let me attach a word doc. If you want to see /steal it, pm me.
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Yeah, won't except it cause it's not a jpg or gif. Sorry.
I know the word documents don't work, but I took a picture of my printed word document and attached the picture, lol. The benefit to the picture instead of actual document is that no one can steal your hard work by saving it to their computer and keeping it as their own. LOL
missnikki 06:32 AM 09-03-2010
Abigail, Here you go. I don't mind if anyone wants it. I used Microsoft Word and did 'insert table', shading, merge cells, WordArt.
Attached: sign in and out sheet.jpg (26.2 KB) 
Abigail 07:44 PM 09-06-2010
Missnikki

Thank you for your example! I'm still at a toss up of keeping the kids on a separate sheet or all on one, but yours is very nice.
DancingQueen 02:42 AM 09-07-2010
I don't currently have a sign in/out sheet. I actually had never thought about it - I do keep an attendance record in my daycare software online but I am trying to think of the benefit of a sign in/out sheet.
missnikki 06:36 AM 09-07-2010
In my state, it is a requirement to have them on file for licensing to look at. As I mentioned before, it is better to "have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" should we be subpoena'ed for any custody issues or to prove your case should a parent neglect to pay. It is a contractual release from the parent to you that shifts responsibility to you in their stead. It also acts like a receipt when parents check out their child for the day, thus releasing you of any liability from your front door on. I've seen it all, and I've been saved more than once by a time recorded, a signature, or lack thereof.
Abigail 01:48 AM 11-07-2010
Does anyone do an attendance AND payment sheet in one for each child? This would be convenient, but I'm wondering how it works for multiple children.

I'm thinking about doing individual binders for each child for attendance to keep things personal for each family like someone mentioned above. I'm so organized though that it might drive me nuts not seeing all the children listed on the same sheet like my original idea that was perfect, lol, but I can create a "Who is here today" wall calendar to meet my organization needs.

It would be nice to have 1/2 inch binders for each child, but what do you do if they have siblings? Just have a binder per family instead of child? Once I start working on it, I might get it figured out. I could list payment first since eveyone pays in advance and then have the five working days listed below that so the parents can sign in, signature, sign out, and signature for each child and just putting an X if the sibling is not there that day. How do you do sibling attendance? I'm separating each family so I don't have to write the child's name everyday, it's just pre-printed on the sheet and in the correct binder. When it's two or more though, do I have one sheet per child so they flip the page each day they bring all the kids and sign each one in separately? Sorry for the long list of questions! Thanks
QualiTcare 05:08 AM 11-07-2010
Does anyone do an attendance AND payment sheet in one for each child? This would be convenient, but I'm wondering how it works for multiple children.

I'm thinking about doing individual binders for each child for attendance to keep things personal for each family like someone mentioned above. I'm so organized though that it might drive me nuts not seeing all the children listed on the same sheet like my original idea that was perfect, lol, but I can create a "Who is here today" wall calendar to meet my organization needs.

It would be nice to have 1/2 inch binders for each child, but what do you do if they have siblings? Just have a binder per family instead of child? Once I start working on it, I might get it figured out. I could list payment first since eveyone pays in advance and then have the five working days listed below that so the parents can sign in, signature, sign out, and signature for each child and just putting an X if the sibling is not there that day. How do you do sibling attendance? I'm separating each family so I don't have to write the child's name everyday, it's just pre-printed on the sheet and in the correct binder. When it's two or more though, do I have one sheet per child so they flip the page each day they bring all the kids and sign each one in separately? Sorry for the long list of questions! Thanks
i think what you did looks good. where it says "child's name" you can have all the kid's names typed there so you or the parents don't have to write them. if they aren't there that day - there just won't be a signature.
WImom 06:41 AM 11-07-2010
We have a form from the state that we have to use.
DaycareMama 07:43 AM 11-07-2010
Every year for my business records I buy the biggest binder I can find usually 3 inch. I use dividers to section it. First section is my copy of the CACFP food menus. Then I have a section for each child/family. I use the states voucher sheets for my attendance and just whited out all the states "wording" for self pay parents and parents with state pay I photo copy their sheet before mailing it.
I also have in the beginning of the binder a zipper pencil pouch where I throw all my receipts during the year. When tax time comes I hand the entire binder to the accountant and its everything he needs. I do a spreadsheet at the end of the year with the reciepts for him. At year end I give each parent the "end of year payment summary" have them sign two copies, one is mine and one is theirs. I list how much was cash paid and how much was state paid. That form is then the first page for each familys section at tax time. Easy for the accountant.
I will see if i can attach a copy. Ny is also going manditory for signing in and with this sheet i can just have the parents fill out the info daily and file it accordingly
DaycareMama 08:26 AM 11-07-2010
AH CRUD! I cant figure out how to upload it.....
Abigail 11:22 AM 11-07-2010
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
AH CRUD! I cant figure out how to upload it.....
What type of document is it? If it is online, you can click on the "world with a link" to attach a link. I usually take an actual picture and save it to my computer and then click on Attachments to upload the photo. Just make sure you find the photo, then click UPLOAD, then click ok/finished before posting.
DaycareMama 03:48 PM 11-07-2010
I get to the upload part and it does nothing after that. Just says please wait while it uploads but never uploads. I can email it to you if you would like
MARSTELAC 11:52 AM 12-02-2010
have you ever had a parent refuse to sign in/out? My state is not mandatory but I tried to do the sign/in/out sheets and a few parents refused telling me it was nonsense. :-(
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
have you ever had a parent refuse to sign in/out? My state is not mandatory but I tried to do the sign/in/out sheets and a few parents refused telling me it was nonsense. :-(
Seriously? I would be like, "I don't care what you think is nonsense, it is a rule at my childcare." How rude! It does say in the CCAP handbook that providers are required to maintain and make available on request daily attendance records for all children receiving childcare assistance. My view on that is why should I have to fill that out...they should have to since they are on the program. I print out a daily attendance sheet (one from the food program) and put it by door. ALL families on CCAP are required to sign times in and out and initial. All the other parents do it too (they aren't required to, but they don't know that...I just have everyone do it) I do tell my CCAP parents though that they are required to do it. You could always tell your parents you will sign i and out if they don't and then bill according to those times...just make sure you fill in the earliest drop off and latest pick up times possible and I'm sure most of the parents who think it is nonsense will change their tune....unless you bill by the day cuz then that won't work...
misol 12:22 PM 12-02-2010

My state doesn't require it either but I use a sign in sheet. Even though your state doesn't require it, there are plenty of reasons why you might have to prove attendace (i.e., an audit, food program, insurance, subsidy payments, if you charge hourly, etc.) I would draft a letter telling them that effective immediately, everyone will be required to sign in/sign out daily and have them sign the notice. Period.

Parents have some say in how you care for their child but don't let them dictate how you handle the business side of things. It's not going to be a pretty day when a parent tells me they flat out refuse to do something that I requested. I am surprised that more than one parent had this attitude toward it.
legomom922 04:15 AM 12-03-2010
I have a clipboard by the front door and 1 client per sheet, because I dont feel its any other parents business knowing who is here when or at what times, so I like to keep it private. I just have the date, signin/out time, and parent signature of who is dropping off and picking up. I like to keep it in my records in case of an audit and for legal purposes as I have 1 family who is divorced, so if ever there is any issue, I can show who dropped off or picked up.
DancingQueen 04:18 AM 12-03-2010
legomom922 - if it is on the clip board don't all the parents still see all the information? or do they all have their own clip board? I'm trying to figure out a privacy solution as well.
legomom922 04:36 AM 12-03-2010
I put the next parents sheet up who is to arrive next after the first parent leaves, so everytime a parent comes in, they only see their sheet on the clipboard.
misol 04:44 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
legomom922 - if it is on the clip board don't all the parents still see all the information? or do they all have their own clip board? I'm trying to figure out a privacy solution as well.

I keep a separate sign-in sheet for each client for the same reason. I keep mine in a small 1" binder and each family has their own tab. After a parent signs and leaves I immediately flip to the page of the next family that I anticipate will be arriving. This way nobody has a reason to "thumb through" the pages. They just pick up the pen and sign. I once had a nosey mom question another family's hours and that's what prompted me to switch to using individual pages.
QualiTcare 05:26 AM 12-03-2010
a daycare i worked for and one my kids went to had a binder with all the kid's names so parents could see - but honestly, it's just like a chore/habit that you don't really look or care about anyone else - just try to hurry and sign so you can go on.

but if you're worried about privacy, wouldn't it be easier to put each child's sign in sheet in their cubby so you don't have to flip pages or anything? they could just sign when putting away/putting on coats, etc.
DancingQueen 05:36 AM 12-03-2010
I don't have cubbies or daily bags. Or a spot to put a binder.
I'm not entirely worried about privacy - but I'm worried my other parents might be... so I'm trying to think of a solution proactively.
misol 05:48 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
a daycare i worked for and one my kids went to had a binder with all the kid's names so parents could see - but honestly, it's just like a chore/habit that you don't really look or care about anyone else - just try to hurry and sign so you can go on.

but if you're worried about privacy, wouldn't it be easier to put each child's sign in sheet in their cubby so you don't have to flip pages or anything? they could just sign when putting away/putting on coats, etc.

Over the course of the day, the little ones often reach in and pull everything out of the cubbies so it's likely the sheets would get lost or damaged. Plus, if it wasn't always in view the parents would forget to sign and I would probably forget to remind them! I keep the binder right on top of the cubbies. So far that has been working for me.
SandeeAR 06:36 AM 12-03-2010

I didn't use one this first year. I simply wrote on a calendar, who was here on what days. However, after talking to my CPA, she suggested next year, that it would be a good idea. I would be back up if I was ever audited.

You might tell your parents, that your CPA is now requiring it for the new year and start in 2011.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Over the course of the day, the little ones often reach in and pull everything out of the cubbies so it's likely the sheets would get lost or damaged. Plus, if it wasn't always in view the parents would forget to sign and I would probably forget to remind them! I keep the binder right on top of the cubbies. So far that has been working for me.
I had that problem also and everything I wanted to send home with the parents was crumpled, lost, pushed aside etc so I went out and bought a few of those clear plastic folder size envelopes that have a slider top for a closure. Now parents can 'see' if there are any notes or info being sent home and the kids can't get anything wet from snowy mittens and hats tossed in the cubby and the plastic file keeps everything from getting crumpled up. I also wrote each child's name really big on the folder/file so it is obvious who's is who's.
Tags:attendance, display, organize, sign in, sign out
Reply Up