Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice
kayla 06:47 AM 11-16-2011
hi i have a dcm that thinks she can drop off her child whenever and pick him up whenever. In my contract i charge for anything over 9 hrs i have had to remind her of this on several occasions.

well yesterday she dropped him off 10 after 7 so she should have been here 10 after 4, she even told me i will be here a little after 4. well 12:30 while all my other children are napping she shows up no call saying shes not picking him up shes just taking him to see her pastor for 20 min and will be back. Well 5 oclock she finally walks threw the door acting like it was no bid deal. so i wrote her this note please give me any advice let me know how you would address this

Dear dcm-hey i just wanted to address some things with you. I would like to have a set schedule.Also yesterday you dropped dcb off a little after 7 and told me you would be picking him up a little after 4. I know you picked him up in the middle of the day but that does not come off his 9hr total. Also i would like the courtesy of a phone call when you pick him up early like that, so i may get him ready and bring him to the door so the other kids are not woken during nap. I would also like to have you refrain from pick-up during nap time 12-2, and if so you need to bring him home. Also payday is monday, and i do charge a late feeof 5$/day that i will start enforcing. Also yesterday you should have been here 10 after 4. I dont want you to take offense to this but i do need to enforce my contract with all of my clients. thanks
Cat Herder 06:57 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by kayla:
Dear dcm-hey i just wanted to address some things with you. I would like to have a set schedule. Also yesterday you dropped dcb off a little after 7 and told me you would be picking him up a little after 4. I know you picked him up in the middle of the day but that does not come off his 9hr total. Also i would like the courtesy of a phone call when you pick him up early like that, so i may get him ready and bring him to the door so the other kids are not woken during nap. I would also like to have you refrain from pick-up during nap time 12-2, and if so you need to bring him home. Also payday is monday, and i do charge a late feeof 5$/day that i will start enforcing. Also yesterday you should have been here 10 after 4. I dont want you to take offense to this but i do need to enforce my contract with all of my clients. thanks
I would not send this. She is not going to respect what you would LIKE to have. Parents need to know exactly what is expected of them, black and white, straight to the point. Trying to figure out what you want is frustrating and open to interpretation any other way. YKWIM?

"No pickups during naptimes. "

"Tuition is not based on attendance."

"Payment in full is due on Mondays. Late payment fees of $5 per day will apply, attendance barred until paid in full."

Simple statements in bullet form work best for written documentation. The rest can be explained face to face firmly and politely. IMHO, It just works best and does not leave it open for loopholes.
sassysue 07:01 AM 11-16-2011
Sounds good! I would make it a little more professional.Leave out your feelings and apologies.
Dear dcm, Your child may only be in attendance for 9 hours a day.Anything over 9 hours is a dollar a minute(or whatever your fee is.
You must call before if you are picking up early. I do not allow pick up during nap time.
All fees are due Monday,your child will not be accepted into care until all fees are due.Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Sincerely,Kayla
Short and sweet.
Leaves out all the emotion
sassysue 07:03 AM 11-16-2011
Agreed! It leaves it open for discussion and it's not!

Originally Posted by Catherder:
I would not send this. She is not going to respect what you would LIKE to have. Parents need to know exactly what is expected of them, black and white, straight to the point. Trying to figure out what you want is frustrating and open to interpretation any other way. YKWIM?

"No pickups during naptimes. "

"Tuition is not based on attendance."

"Payment in full is due on Mondays. Late payment fees of $5 per day will apply, attendance barred until paid in full."

Simple statements in bullet form work best for written documentation. The rest can be explained face to face firmly and politely. IMHO, It just works best and does not leave it open for loopholes.

Blackcat31 07:04 AM 11-16-2011
In addition to it being in writing...you need to discuss this with her face to face so you KNOW she understands what you are saying.

Some parents will take advantage the more a provider tries to evade the actual task of having an uncomfortable conversation.

These are your rules. You need to be able to state them, follow them and enforce them.
cheerfuldom 07:11 AM 11-16-2011
don't forget to actually enforce all the rules. you can write all the notes you want but until you start attaching fees to it, she's not going to get it. I would do $1 a minute on the late fees and really make it worth her while to pickup on time. Give her a deadline of when you must have a schedule by. For instance, one week in advance to be given by Friday of the week before. Anything outside the written and approved schedule is charged fees (including early drop off fee) (I actually do one month in advance)
kayla 07:25 AM 11-16-2011
Thanks all, Ive been licensed for a year and im having a hard time getting a back bone. Its hard for me because i dont really like confrontation. But i do need to start to build one because people are just going to keep taking advantage of me... so stressfull.
cheerfuldom 07:32 AM 11-16-2011
It is a lot less stress once you stay firm with your policies and get the families you actually want to work with. It does get so much better, I promise! Nobody "likes" confrontation but being able to enforce your rules is the responsibility of the business owner. You have to start thinking like a business owner. I realize this mom is not being that easy to work with but on the other hand, why would she change if you are letting her go on as is? In her mind, she isn't doing anything wrong because there is no accountability for her to change her behavior.
password 09:21 AM 11-16-2011
ok its kayla that parent i was talking about earlier showed up again today because "she forgot her apartment keys" which turned out to not be in her bag, like she really feels as tho she can come and go as she pleases i dont have any other parents that do this also when she dropped her kid off this morning she wore her snowy shoes all around my kitchen so i put a note on the door asking for parents to take shoes off in entry way also a reminder bout my days off well when she came back to look for keys she wore her shoes all around tracking in snow again and i know she saw the note cause she was all oh your closed on those days.. ughh so frustrating no one has respect that these are our homes as well!!!
Cat Herder 10:18 AM 11-16-2011
Did you confront her right then and there?
CheekyChick 10:20 AM 11-16-2011
This is what I would write...

Dear ***:

This letter serves as a final reminder of my policies and procedures:

1. I will no longer be able to accomodate your child care needs if I do not have a set schedule in writing by 11/18/11.

2. If you remove "Johnny" from daycare during the day, that does not deduct from his nine hour day. You will be charged $4.00 per hour for every hour used over nine hours - regardless if he is in attendance.

3. When picking up "Johnny" other than his scheduled pick up time, it is imparative that you call me 30 minutes prior to pick up.

4. Unless there is an avoidable emergency, picking up or dropping off "Johnny" between the hours of 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. is strictly prohibited.

5. Tuition is due every Monday. A $5.00 (per day) late fee will be enforced as of the date of this letter.

Thank you for your cooperation,
Miss ***
Ariana 10:23 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In addition to it being in writing...you need to discuss this with her face to face so you KNOW she understands what you are saying.

Some parents will take advantage the more a provider tries to evade the actual task of having an uncomfortable conversation.

These are your rules. You need to be able to state them, follow them and enforce them.
Totally agree! Be very firm and direct and tell her that if she is unwilling to follow the contract/rules then she may be put on notice for termination. You aren't a revolving door, you run a business where other kids needs are also important.
AnneCordelia 10:35 AM 11-16-2011
I know it's hard but you need to speak up! Use your voice!

"Suzy, I need you remove your boots in my home. The children play on this floor. I'm sure you understand."
kayla 03:13 PM 11-16-2011
so i told the mom at pick-up also wrote a note now i feel bad... Is that normal??
Cat Herder 04:55 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by kayla:
so i told the mom at pick-up also wrote a note now i feel bad... Is that normal??
For someone who is accustomed to being walked on?

You should never feel guilty for demanding they respect your home and policies.
kayla 05:00 PM 11-16-2011
thanks catherder
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, policies, policy sample, reminder letter
Reply Up