Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 Year Old Vomiting
cara041083 10:14 AM 10-11-2013
I have a 3 year old that I have had for about 4 months now, that will get angry and stick his fingers in his mouth and gag himself to the point of vomit. At first, I did what any provider would do and say "oh no what happened" and such, and then I addressed it with mom. Her response was "ya he does that at home when he gets upset" but other then that she really wasn't any help. He does it at least every other day and every time he does it I have to clean/sanitize and all the fun work of cleaning up vomit while taking care of everyone else. Lately when he does it I move him where ever there is tile or hard wood because quite frankly im getting tired of cleaning my carpet! So Is there any advise on this issue? He is a kid that gets worked up over EVERYTHING. I do think there are some issues like autism going on, but mom says " no hes fine, his brother was the same way" and for the most part I have him under control with his fits, except this issue. I would hate to term him because of it but at the same time Its getting pretty old.
Maria2013 10:20 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by cara041083:
Lately when he does it I move him where ever there is tile or hard wood because quite frankly im getting tired of cleaning my carpet!
I have a 3 yr old that does this only at home now cause she knows if she does it here, she'll be confined to the tile floor room...I wish mom would give her consequences too
Maria2013 10:21 AM 10-11-2013
I forgot to give you a hug lol
Leigh 10:24 AM 10-11-2013
At 3 years old, the child would be cleaning up his OWN vomit at my home if it was intentional (I would go behind and clean it up behind him to be sure). I wouldn't make a deal of it at all, just get a bucket and rag and have the child clean it up (if it's on a hard surface).
nanglgrl 10:29 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
At 3 years old, the child would be cleaning up his OWN vomit at my home if it was intentional (I would go behind and clean it up behind him to be sure). I wouldn't make a deal of it at all, just get a bucket and rag and have the child clean it up (if it's on a hard surface).
We run the risk of being flamed but I agree and would do the same. I would talk to parents beforehand to make sure they are on board and if they weren't they would have to be able to come pick the child up if he vomited because my contract says I deal with the symptom not the cause, and vomiting earns an immediate pick up. It would depend on if I know for sure it was intentional and what the child's abilities are but with all of the 3 year olds I have now I wouldn't hesitate and I doubt they would do it again.
Maria2013 10:33 AM 10-11-2013
kids cleaning up their own vomit is against regulations, not to judge those who do this but I myself would never have a kid clean up vomit
Leigh 10:40 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
kids cleaning up their own vomit is against regulations, not to judge those who do this but I myself would never have a kid clean up vomit
I would NEVER make a sick kid clean up his own vomit. I would (against regs or not) make a kid who puked SOLELY to force me to clean it up do it himself. No way would I give a child such a way to control me.
nanglgrl 10:49 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I would NEVER make a sick kid clean up his own vomit. I would (against regs or not) make a kid who puked SOLELY to force me to clean it up do it himself. No way would I give a child such a way to control me.
Exactly how I feel. I see it as not much different than cleaning off walls when they color on them or making them pick up when they intentionally get every toy out. If kids throw their food at the table I make them clean it up, actually they all clean up big pieces of food on the floor after lunch and since I started doing that they rarely have much to pick up. The only difference is it's gross (for me more than them as it is their vomit) and sanitary precautions would need to be taken such as washing hands. It also needs to be handled appropriately with no shame just a matter of fact "you made a mess, you clean it up".
craftymissbeth 11:00 AM 10-11-2013
Honestly, I don't care the reason... you vomit in my house you have to go home. Either mom will step up and fix it or go somewhere else. Either way... problem solved
countrymom 11:01 AM 10-11-2013
acually I have to agree. I don't do well with puke, but when you start doing it on purpose there has to be a consequence for it. Also, can you catch him before he sticks his fingers in his mouth.
cara041083 12:11 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
acually I have to agree. I don't do well with puke, but when you start doing it on purpose there has to be a consequence for it. Also, can you catch him before he sticks his fingers in his mouth.

I try. When he's worked up and puts his finger in his mouth, I always get his hand and tell him "no" but hes doing it to get a reaction, and get attention. (The more I try to stop him from doing it the worse it is and the harder he tries) If he does it again then I pull his shirt off (cause I don't want to deal with a nasty shirt). and I move him to the hard wood and walk away (I stay within sight distance but he doesn't know that) then he vomits and then waits to see what Im gona do. When I don't run over and react then he calms down. At home they react to it and he either gets his way or does it again. I walk over and clean him, and it up with out saying anything to him other then telling him that you can't do that and then once he is all the way calmed down its business as usual. When I tell the mom about it she just says "well hes too moody" and lau I am gona try to make him sit on the hard wood in time out when he does it and maybe that will stop him. I had never thought about doing that. I just hate term him for that issue but at the same time Im done dealing with it. Thanks ladies for your thoughts!
Maria2013 01:35 PM 10-11-2013
I am gona try to make him sit on the hard wood in time out when he does it and maybe that will stop him.
Time out doesn't work for many kids, but loss of privilege (carpet) has worked for me in the passed
good luck
cara041083 01:55 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
Time out doesn't work for many kids, but loss of privilege (carpet) has worked for me in the passed
good luck
Thats what I ment lol. Im gona have him stay on the hard wood away from everyone an tell him that until he can stop he will have to stay off the carpet. Do you still allow him to play with toys? or does he sit there the rest of the day? Cause Im starting fresh Monday lol
Unregistered 02:58 PM 10-11-2013
I have a 3 year old that I have had for about 4 months now, that will get angry and stick his fingers in his mouth and gag himself to the point of vomit. At first, I did what any provider would do and say "oh no what happened" and such, and then I addressed it with mom. Her response was "ya he does that at home when he gets upset" but other then that she really wasn't any help. He does it at least every other day and every time he does it I have to clean/sanitize and all the fun work of cleaning up vomit while taking care of everyone else. Lately when he does it I move him where ever there is tile or hard wood because quite frankly im getting tired of cleaning my carpet! So Is there any advise on this issue? He is a kid that gets worked up over EVERYTHING. I do think there are some issues like autism going on, but mom says " no hes fine, his brother was the same way" and for the most part I have him under control with his fits, except this issue. I would hate to term him because of it but at the same time Its getting pretty old.
Send him home everytime
Scout 04:42 PM 10-11-2013
I have a 4 yo who vomited on my couch one day right after lunch from running around too much. I didn't send home but, I did let mom know. She was coming in about an hour anyway. I sat the child down on the floor with a bucket away from the other ones in case it happened again. Next week the child vomited in my sink after smelling poop! A few days later starts to gag again and I said in a firm voice "You do not have to throw up! You are fine." Child did not vomit I suspect that while the child does have a weak stomach(according to dad she would gag as a baby smelling her own diapers) it was more for the attention of it. Her mom had at that time been working a LOT of overtime and does everything for her! The child just in the past year stopped getting a bottle! And wouldn't get herself dressed because she claimed she couldn't. I made her stay in her undies and shirt because I was not helping her unless she tried herself. At 4 I know she can do it-I've seen it, she just didn't want to that time. Mom would've dressed her....not me! Maybe a firm voice will help. Sorry, I kinda got off track there!
Maria2013 08:16 PM 10-11-2013
Thats what I ment lol. Im gona have him stay on the hard wood away from everyone an tell him that until he can stop he will have to stay off the carpet. Do you still allow him to play with toys? or does he sit there the rest of the day? Cause Im starting fresh Monday lol
I allow washable toys, yes, I don't want to make it feel like a punishment but just a direct consequence for his action...a consequence I know the kid will get tired of

forgot to ad that in my daycare a child that gags on purpose, has to go a whole day without doing it before returning to carpeted areas...and I do this until it sinks in
lflick 06:07 PM 10-15-2013
If it happened at my home child would be at the very least cleaning it up.
dingledine 06:18 PM 10-15-2013
If a child vomits in my house, even if they did it because they might have coughed too hard... they go home. If a child makes himself throw up, I would send them home, if they did it once or twice more, I would term. NO WAY, do I want vomit on my wool carpet, my other carpet, my couch, etc.
nannyde 07:22 PM 10-15-2013
I would pop a thickly mitted sweatshirt over him and have it on until he settles.

He just needs a block so that he can get through the urges without being able to gag himself. I would make the mitted end very thick. He needs to stuff his mouth with cloth instead of fingers. The skin to mouth contact is what gags him. Having a hand full of cloth will most likely not do the trick. May not work but worth a try.
Attached: Nan's mitted sweatshirt.jpg (7.9 KB) Nan's mitted sweatshirt 2.jpg (9.2 KB) 
Willow 07:49 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Honestly, I don't care the reason... you vomit in my house you have to go home. Either mom will step up and fix it or go somewhere else. Either way... problem solved

Willow 07:54 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would pop a thickly mitted sweatshirt over him and have it on until he settles. I can't link from my phone but if you search my name and the word mitted you can see links to how I make them and pics.

He just needs a block so that he can get through the urges without being able to gag himself. I would make the mitted end very thick. He needs to stuff his mouth with cloth instead of fingers. The skin to mouth contact is what gags him. Having a hand full of cloth will most likely not do the trick. May not work but worth a try.
I read this, agreed, but then not going to lie a picture of a child with a tall dog cone collar quickly overtook your imagery

Note to self.....this particular wine I'm indulging in tonight should be used with great caution because seriously.......holy buckets lol
Tags:3 year old, intentional vomiting, purposeful vomiting, vomiting
Reply Up