Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Medication Authorizations/Thoughts
Sunshine69 02:17 PM 03-02-2020
Dcb has been with me p/t over a year now. I recently received an updated medical report and learned child is now prescribed EpiPen for allergy and Ventolin rescue inhaler for asthma. I printed out the appropriate Medication Consent forms required by my state for dcd to have pediatrician complete.

FF a few weeks, I have repeatedly asked dcd for forms. He said he lost them so I reprinted. Another two weeks later, no forms. I asked dcd again and informed him I would not continue to accept dcb without completed forms. He informed me that dcb’s mom ended up picking up forms from pediatrician and he had to make arrangements to get them from her.

When he finally gets forms from her, it is another updated medical report with same medications noted. He claims pediatrician told him that report was the same as the forms I gave him. Absolutely Not. I know what I printed twice and they were Medication Consent forms.

He claims he doesn’t know what happened to the forms, is blaming the pediatricians office for losing them and wants me to print them a third time.

Everything I ask of this dcd turns goes the same way. I feel like I’m nagging my teen kids.

I left a message for my licensor asking where my responsibility lies in getting the correct forms. Licensors record of returning my calls isn’t the best either.

I can’t really contact the pediatrician directly as it’s not my child.

There is a history between dcd and dcb’s mom going back and forth and blaming each other for every little bump, scratch and bruise on the boy. To me, it’s all been basic boo boos that happen to all kids that age, but I document everything in my health check to be safe.

I don’t really want to be involved if this child has a reaction or asthma attack on my watch and I don’t have the medication to help him. What would you all do? I’m thinking of terming.
Michael 02:31 PM 03-02-2020
It would be one thing if you had to administer his medication/EpiPen but it appears that there is a lot more to the care of the child and also managing his parents than maybe you would be willing to put the time into. I would terminate.
e.j. 02:49 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
FF a few weeks, I have repeatedly asked dcd for forms. He said he lost them so I reprinted. Another two weeks later, no forms. I asked dcd again and informed him I would not continue to accept dcb without completed forms.
If it were me, I would do exactly what I said I would do if he didn't get the necessary paperwork to me.

If I don't have that paperwork in my file during a licensing visit, I get written up. That's bad for me but it's a minor thing compared to what would happen if the kid had an asthma attack on my watch and I didn't have the medication he needed or the permission forms that would have allowed me to administer it. No medication/proper paperwork=no child care from me.
Jo123ABC 07:36 PM 03-02-2020
You don't necessarily need to term right away unless you'd rather do that. Just say sorry, I can't care for dck until I have the appropriate paperwork. Close your door to them until they do it. That should get dcd moving.
Cat Herder 03:41 AM 03-03-2020
I'd employ my exclusion policy. No attendance until I had both the forms and the medications in my hands.
Cat Herder 03:52 AM 03-03-2020
Wrong thread. So sorry.
Sunshine69 04:52 AM 03-03-2020
Thank you all for your advice.

I was also confused that there is no mention of the use of benedryl on the child’s medical report.

In my experience, there has always been benedryl used in conjunction with an EpiPen where there is an allergic reaction. I asked dcd and he just shrugged.

I have never encountered such resistance and confusion on a parent’s part when it came to treating a child’s allergy.

Isn’t benedryl usually used with the EpiPen?
Cat Herder 05:08 AM 03-03-2020
Benedryl is too slow for anaphylaxis. It is unnecessary if you give the epi pen and call 911.
Sunshine69 05:17 AM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Benedryl is too slow for anaphylaxis. It is unnecessary if you give the epi pen and call 911.
Thank you.
LittleExplorers 11:34 AM 03-03-2020
It may be the pediatrician too. I know our pediatrician has a form that says this meets state standards for all daycare and school needs. They more or less refuse to fill out anything different.
Sunshine69 04:58 AM 03-04-2020
We shall see. I gave dcd forms again and put in writing that child cannot return to daycare without completed forms and the medication in it’s original prescription packaging. I’m waiting to see if he tries to drop the child off today without it.
Sunshine69 08:58 AM 03-04-2020
Dcd has now begun texting me that he got a flat tire on his way to pick up the forms from the doctor and plans to drop the child off before he gets the car fixed. I told him I can’t take the child without the forms and medication. And so I wait. (Insert eye roll emoji).
Cat Herder 09:13 AM 03-04-2020
Dcd has now begun texting me that he got a flat tire on his way to pick up the forms from the doctor and plans to drop the child off before he gets the car fixed. I told him I can’t take the child without the forms and medication. And so I wait. (Insert eye roll emoji).
Wow.

I am so sorry. Super original, isn't he?
daycarediva 10:57 AM 03-04-2020
I would get a HIPPA form and mail it along with the forms to the pediatrician with a self addressed stamped envelope.

I would NOT take dcb without forms and meds.
sahm1225 11:27 AM 03-04-2020
Good job enforcing no papers = no daycare.

These are the types of parents that will crucify you to the media if anything bad ever happens... they will say you KNEW the child needed the epipen and were so relaxed in your rules that you didn’t care and will likely toss in a comment about as a good parent they ‘have’ to work and rely on providers who just don’t care.

I would keep enforcing no stay until you have everything you need.
Sunshine69 12:52 PM 03-04-2020
Dcd seemed surprised I would not take dcb without the paperwork. Now he doesn’t have gas money to put in his other vehicle to get to the pediatrician to pick up the forms 😐

He is a drop-in and I charge him drop-in rates. I just saved him a day’s worth of daycare fees. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

I’m thinking I need to start charging fees to reprint forms.
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 03-04-2020
Oh my goodness! I am exhausted reading all that... lol!

I have to ask, is it worth keeping this family?

I can't imagine what other issues might be a problem if something like addressing a life or death situation is this difficult for them.

I might be inclined to just tell them you aren't the right program for their needs.
Cat Herder 01:21 PM 03-04-2020
So he's never heard of pdf, email or a fax machine?

Ridiculous
Sunshine69 02:26 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh my goodness! I am exhausted reading all that... lol!

I have to ask, is it worth keeping this family?

I can't imagine what other issues might be a problem if something like addressing a life or death situation is this difficult for them.

I might be inclined to just tell them you aren't the right program for their needs.
No, it isn’t really worth it.

It’s become so comical at this point, I want to stick it out to get more laughs.
Sunshine69 02:27 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
So he's never heard of pdf, email or a fax machine?

Ridiculous
He says the pediatrician won’t do it that way for privacy reasons.
Sunshine69 02:29 PM 03-04-2020
He’s still texting me about his financial dilemma.

I have no idea how he was planning on paying me 😂
Cat Herder 02:35 PM 03-04-2020
He’s still texting me about his financial dilemma.

I have no idea how he was planning on paying me 😂
Just wow.

I am closed now, so I'd probably text back "That sounds tough. Let me know when you have it figured out and he is ready to return. Have a good night."

My work phone is now turned off.
Sunshine69 07:49 AM 03-05-2020
Good News.

Dcd and dcb came in this morning with completed form and inhaler.

Also, there was a note from the doctor that the boy had recently had allergy testing and can discontinue use of EpiPen and Benedryl. An updated medical report was also provided with the EpiPen removed. I suspected this was the case as dcd had verbally informed me of that before but the medical report didn’t align with what dad said. So at least that is straightened out.

Dcd made an appointment with the doctor regarding the asthma diagnosis. He doesn’t believe the child has asthma, and frankly, neither do I. I have never witnessed a symptom of asthma in the child and Dcd says the same. Dcb’s mom is kind of a hypochondriac and has the child at the doctor at least five times a month. Recently, she made 3 visits to the doctor because she insisted the doctor’s diagnosis of stomach bug was an appendicitis. I don’t deal with her at all. My contract is only with dcd on days he has custody, so I feel for him on that front.

He told me he and dcb were going out for dinner later, so hopefully his financial trouble have resolved. 😁

Thank you all for your advice and support. I find being a single in-home provider to be very isolating. It is nice to have this board.
Tags:administering, asthma, enforcing policies - consistency, epipen, exclusion policy, medication - administering
Reply Up