Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child That Still Might Not Be Adjusting, WWYD?
littlemonkeys 01:20 PM 01-27-2011
I have a dcg that's 19 months old and she's been with me since August. I love her and she's my favorite dck! She is VERY sensitive and fragile. She cries at almost every drop off and she could be playing and laughing and as soon as she see's her parent at pick up she starts crying again. I feel so bad for her. However, she does stop crying almost immediately after the parent leaves, and will occasionally cry for no reason during the day, usually when it's getting closer to nap time, but not always. Today, my LO was playing with cars and minding his own business during playtime and she started crying. She wasn't hurt; no one was bothering her or anything. I just feel so bad for her. This happens everyday. Some days are better than others, but it is still an everyday thing. She's such a sweet girl and is so smart. I just want to try and find a way to make her feel more comfortable.

The ONLY thing that keeps her content when she's in one of these off moods is a Baby Einstein video or playing by herself... and I can't let her watch TV all day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?
littlemonkeys 04:09 PM 01-27-2011
No words of advice?

Thanks anyways!
momatheart 04:16 PM 01-27-2011
I just saw this post.

Maybe she has some illness or something that is making her uncomfortable.
Keep track of what you feed her and the times of when this happens and ask mom and dad if this happens at home.
littlemonkeys 04:38 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
I just saw this post.

Maybe she has some illness or something that is making her uncomfortable.
Keep track of what you feed her and the times of when this happens and ask mom and dad if this happens at home.
Thank you!

I've been doing this and it actually happened again right in front of mom today. My LO walk up to her and she started crying and pointing to her head. Her mom just told her, "**** didn't touch your head". I explained that this went on almost all day and she just wanted to be held, be "alone" or watch a video. She said that it has never happened at her house or on play dates.

It's not so much the crying at drop off and pick up. I can handle that, but I feel bad for mom and dad. It's the crying for no reason and not being able to comfort her without having to hold her all day or putting on a video. Maybe you're right and she's jut not feeling too well. I'll pay more attention to it tomorrow and next week to see if I see a pattern.
SFMamaTeacherC 09:02 PM 01-27-2011
I have a DCG that acts similarly too. She just turned 2 and crys a lot! Drop offs by now (she's been here 6 months) are usually ok, but if anything scares her (loud noises, a child running by, a toy taken away, dogs, etc, etc,) she will start screaming and yelling "owie" even when not hurt. She is just super sensitive to everything, in between the crying she is fine, happy, smiling but she still crys a lot! I was so happy when she signed up as she looked so cute and was a girl (almost all my kids are boys), but she is way more work than any of them! I do actually think she has a milk allergy that makes her uncomfortable, she has a rash all over her arms and legs. I've mentioned it to her mom and dad but they don't seem too concerned. I hope your gets better sooner rather than later.
Abigail 09:58 PM 01-27-2011
I guess all you can do is observe and take notes for a good week and discuss it with the parents. My first thought was maybe something at home was going on. I wonder if you're really concerned that you would feel comfortable callling licensing after your week of observing and ask for advice or if they have had a similiar situation.
Cat Herder 04:24 AM 01-28-2011
Do you have a "Boo-Boo Bunny" or something of the like?

I have one really cute linen bunny wearing a jumpsuit and bow tie (easily washable between uses) that is soft and the perfect size for cuddling that sits on a high shelf and "likes to watch happy kids play".

If someone is having a hard day I ask them to "watch" Boo-Boo bunny for me for a little while because "He is feeling sad". They love on him, read to him etc....after about 30 minutes I thank them and tell them what a wonderful job they did.

I then take him out of the room for a while because I don't want it to become a transitional object for anyone in particular, after all ; Boo-Boo Bunny is "Mrs. Catherders friend" .

It has worked really well for me so far.
littlemonkeys 06:45 AM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by SFMamaTeacherC:
I have a DCG that acts similarly too. She just turned 2 and crys a lot! Drop offs by now (she's been here 6 months) are usually ok, but if anything scares her (loud noises, a child running by, a toy taken away, dogs, etc, etc,) she will start screaming and yelling "owie" even when not hurt. She is just super sensitive to everything, in between the crying she is fine, happy, smiling but she still crys a lot! I was so happy when she signed up as she looked so cute and was a girl (almost all my kids are boys), but she is way more work than any of them! I do actually think she has a milk allergy that makes her uncomfortable, she has a rash all over her arms and legs. I've mentioned it to her mom and dad but they don't seem too concerned. I hope your gets better sooner rather than later.
We totally have the same dcg's. My dcg also has a rash, but it's on her face. It just feels like rough dry skin. I noticed today she has been whiny every time some one rides in the car in the playroom. I think it’s the loud noises that scare her.

Originally Posted by Abigail:
I guess all you can do is observe and take notes for a good week and discuss it with the parents. My first thought was maybe something at home was going on. I wonder if you're really concerned that you would feel comfortable callling licensing after your week of observing and ask for advice or if they have had a similiar situation.

That's exactly what my sister thought too. She thinks that her dad is a yeller at home. She got a funny feeling when he dropped dcb off one day. I don't think she's being abused, but I have seen a bruise on her face and Dad said that she tried picking up something off the counter and it fell on her face. I documented it and moved on and never questioned again. I've never seen anything since.

Originally Posted by Catherder:
Do you have a "Boo-Boo Bunny" or something of the like?

I have one really cute linen bunny wearing a jumpsuit and bow tie (easily washable between uses) that is soft and the perfect size for cuddling that sits on a high shelf and "likes to watch happy kids play".

If someone is having a hard day I ask them to "watch" Boo-Boo bunny for me for a little while because "He is feeling sad". They love on him, read to him etc....after about 30 minutes I thank them and tell them what a wonderful job they did.

I then take him out of the room for a while because I don't want it to become a transitional object for anyone in particular, after all ; Boo-Boo Bunny is "Mrs. Catherders friend" .

It has worked really well for me so far.
This is such a great idea, and very cute too! I'm totally going to try this. I also like the idea that you take it away after a certain time and praise them for their job well done. Right now we have a sheep and a certain baby doll that she loves to hold. That's on my list of things to do this weekend is to find a cute "washable" stuffed animal.

Thank you... these are some great suggestions!
Live and Learn 06:45 AM 01-28-2011
little monkeys: I had a child that was just this age and behaved the same way to the extreme. I tried for 4 months to help her out but in the end I had to term. It still makes me sad that I had to let her go but after four months I was totally exhausted from the day in day out screaming. She was a great napper...that was probably why I was able to hold on so long. It was hard on her, on me, and all of the other dc kiddies. The other dc kiddies stopped wanting to play with her because it would only take a minute or two and she would scream.
littlemonkeys 06:59 AM 01-28-2011
How funny, my dcb is a great napper too! I don't want to let her go. I'd keep her forever if I could. She's is so so sweet and such a delight to be around, but she just gets these awful off moments and it makes me sad and I know it's hard on her and the other kids to watch her so upset.

Her mom is a teacher and whenever there is no school she stays home... Dad is in construction and whenever he doesn't have work she stays home with dad. Last week, she was out on Monday due to the holiday and then ended up staying home the whole week. She's full time and they still pay without hesitating, but I'm wondering now if it could be more related to her not being able to adjust since she stays home so often. I have a full week with her only a couple of times a month. And with her being gone for the two weeks of Christmas break and then a whole week in January maybe it's possible that's what it is? She finally gets used to being here and she's out for a while. I think she needs more consistency. What do you think and if this is the case, any suggestions on what to say to her parents?
Tags:adjustment period
Reply Up