Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Daughter's School Is On Lockdown
Zoe 10:47 AM 12-19-2012
I am trying not to freak out here but our entire school district has been put on lockdown because of a threatening phone call. It is most likely some little punk who is trying to get attention, but as a mother and as a childcare provider who is sitting here worrying all day, I don't find it funny!

Part of me want to load up the dck's and go get my daughter but I know that might scare her. The other part of me is saying "what if" and I hate that!

This is OT and I'm sorry. I just needed some support today as I take care of other people's children.
BumbleBee 10:51 AM 12-19-2012
*hugs* & prayers that it is just some little punk trying to get attention.
mema 10:53 AM 12-19-2012
(((hugs)))

Are you in RW?? I read it on the local news fb page. So sorry. Hopefully the punks that keep calling in these threats are getting more than just expulsion. I think there were 2 or 3 here last week. Just nuts.

(((hugs again)))
Zoe 10:55 AM 12-19-2012
Yes I am. I'm just glad the kids are unaware of what's going on.
Scout 10:56 AM 12-19-2012
so sorry that you have to worry about this. Prayers.
mema 11:10 AM 12-19-2012
I also just saw that in D-E there is a 17 yr old that has a hit list. Really?? I'm not 100% sure what these kids need, but they better be glad they aren't mine.

I will continue to watch what pans out in your area. We have a friend that teaches there also. Hopefully they will find the one who did it.
lovemykidstoo 11:28 AM 12-19-2012
I'm sorry that that is happening. I completely understand your stress level. My sons high school had a threat for this coming Friday. Some kid reported it and it is a kind of a friend of a friend of a friend said that they're going to do some shooting at this school on Friday. They have been investigating but can't find any truth to it yet, but it still worries me. I have the kids of one of the teachers there and she said that if we get any snow at all Thursday night that they're going to call school off and just say it's due to bad roads. They don't want to say it's becuse of the threat because parents are already flipped out. The thing that concerns me is that this threat came in before Connecticut. I know that alot are popping up now simply because of that tragedy and people looking for attention.
Michelle 12:05 PM 12-19-2012
I am the same way, I would want to go pick her up too but lockdown means no one in or out of the school!
So, just know that the teachers are trained to deal with it and she will be fine.
hugs
lovemykidstoo 12:13 PM 12-19-2012
This is an email that I just received from my sons school. Sorry, but I don't feel any calmer about him going to school on Friday.

Dear Parents and Guardians,

There was a rumor among students that a person from another school district was planning to bring in a weapon to Heritage High School.
This rumor has been, and continues to be, investigated by administration and liaison officer Detective Don Koski of the Saginaw Township Police Department. At this time, there is no credence to this rumor.
The tragedy in Connecticut has brought school safety to the forefront for all educational communities. As with all districts and in response to the tragedy, we have reviewed security procedures and made some modifications to current practices in effort to make our school system more secure, and to help our students feel safer. Due in part to the events of the past week and the impending holiday break, the rumor in our district that began some time ago has spread even quicker through social media, taking on several variations and raising anxiety for us all. We have investigated and continue to address concerns as they are brought forward. We fully understand the concerns of both parents and students, but feel confident in the safety procedures of our buildings and the falsehood of the rumors.
Please know that your student’s safety is our highest priority.
Scout 12:24 PM 12-19-2012
All this really makes me not want to send ds to kindy next year.
Country Kids 01:17 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
This is an email that I just received from my sons school. Sorry, but I don't feel any calmer about him going to school on Friday.

Dear Parents and Guardians,

There was a rumor among students that a person from another school district was planning to bring in a weapon to Heritage High School.
This rumor has been, and continues to be, investigated by administration and liaison officer Detective Don Koski of the Saginaw Township Police Department. At this time, there is no credence to this rumor.
The tragedy in Connecticut has brought school safety to the forefront for all educational communities. As with all districts and in response to the tragedy, we have reviewed security procedures and made some modifications to current practices in effort to make our school system more secure, and to help our students feel safer. Due in part to the events of the past week and the impending holiday break, the rumor in our district that began some time ago has spread even quicker through social media, taking on several variations and raising anxiety for us all. We have investigated and continue to address concerns as they are brought forward. We fully understand the concerns of both parents and students, but feel confident in the safety procedures of our buildings and the falsehood of the rumors.
Please know that your student’s safety is our highest priority.
At least you got something. Our school has given us nothing on the threat our school has for this weekend. It is also another overheard rumor that isn't correct. They have sent nothing out, the news contacted them, a brief email was given to the news (not the parents) and the news did a brief annoucement. End of story. What gets me is not everyone get the news and I think we should be hearing it from the school not the news!
Scout 01:20 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
At least you got something. Our school has given us nothing on the threat our school has for this weekend. It is also another overheard rumor that isn't correct. They have sent nothing out, the news contacted them, a brief email was given to the news (not the parents) and the news did a brief annoucement. End of story. What gets me is not everyone get the news and I think we should be hearing it from the school not the news!
You have a right to be upset! I am betting they didn't want mass panic to set in. Knowing not everyone watches the news, they probably figured they could avoid some parents knowing. Wrong, but, that doesn't stop anyone these days.
Country Kids 01:23 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Scout:
You have a right to be upset! I am betting they didn't want mass panic to set in. Knowing not everyone watches the news, they probably figured they could avoid some parents knowing. Wrong, but, that doesn't stop anyone these days.
Sad thing is we have had a shooting at this school a within the last 5-6 years. There were injuries (one person shot in the back 4 times) and the gunman fled on foot down a very busy street towards 3 more schools. A friend of mine was in a restaurant that morning on the same street and they even made them all get down under the tables!!!!
Zoe 03:50 PM 12-19-2012
Well they had us parents come into the big gym to get our kids after school. She's home safe now so I feel much better. I do feel grateful that the school district kept us informed of the situation. I still don't want to send her to school but really other than our paranoia there's no reason to keep her home, so she's going. Thanks everyone for the cyber hugs!
lovemykidstoo 03:58 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Well they had us parents come into the big gym to get our kids after school. She's home safe now so I feel much better. I do feel grateful that the school district kept us informed of the situation. I still don't want to send her to school but really other than our paranoia there's no reason to keep her home, so she's going. Thanks everyone for the cyber hugs!
You have every right to be nervous. There is nothing more precious than our children! You're a good mommy!
Tags:disaster plan, guns
Reply Up