Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Craigslist Scams Are Driving Me Crazy!
missheather 10:38 AM 01-23-2014
I am just opening my daycare. My first day of business will be February 10th!

Yesterday I posted my first ad on Craigslist looking for clients. Since then I have had 10 responses to my ad and NONE of them seem real. They all sound as though they are scams.

For those who post on Craigslist:
how many scam email responses to you receive?
Do you post your email in the ad?
What about phone #?
Do you respond to the possible scams in case they are actual possible clients?

Thanks a lot
melilley 10:45 AM 01-23-2014
Congratulations on opening!!

First, when you put your #, space the numbers out and/or spell some of the them, I have never gotten a scam call.

Second, ask parents to put daycare, child care, or what ever in the subject line, that way you can weed out the scammers. I used to respond, but don't anymore. I don't put my emai, but do put my website and that has my email, but I have never gotten a scam email in my regular email, just when they reply on CL so they must have some kind of system.?

Every time I posted an ad, I always got emails that were scams too. Then I saw people were saying in their ads to put something in the subject line so I'm assuming it works.
missheather 05:32 PM 01-23-2014
Thank you so much!
I have edited my ad and hopefully I wont get so many spam emails
craftymissbeth 05:36 PM 01-23-2014
I have started creating little ads in Word and then use the Snipping Tool to create a picture of the ad. I attach that to my Craigslist ads that way my phone number and all of my info is in a picture rather than something that scammers can pull quickly.
Shell 05:41 PM 01-23-2014
I don't post any of that information. Just a little about me and my program. When they email me back, I wait to see how they write, and if they provide me with enough details. For example, I need to know the age of the child and days/hours. I have found that people that send out vague emails, that say things like, "what are your rates" "where are you located" without a name, age of child, etc. are most likely other providers looking for information. I will ask for the parent's first and last name to make sure they live in my town or state. I am quite the stalker , and usually know exactly what the person looks like, what they do for work, and lots of other info before they even walk through the door. I think we have a responsibility to check people out as much as we can before we let them in our homes.
Maria2013 05:22 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by missheather:
I am just opening my daycare. My first day of business will be February 10th!

Yesterday I posted my first ad on Craigslist looking for clients. Since then I have had 10 responses to my ad and NONE of them seem real. They all sound as though they are scams.

For those who post on Craigslist:
how many scam email responses to you receive?
Do you post your email in the ad?
What about phone #?
Do you respond to the possible scams in case they are actual possible clients?

Thanks a lot
I only advertised on CL twice (never though about it before) I do not answer e-mails that leave me guessing (weird wording) and yes I got a couple of those
I post my phone number not the name of my Daycare
Meeko 07:01 AM 01-24-2014
I have never used Craigslist. I understand it can be very "iffie"
spinnymarie 07:07 AM 01-24-2014
I don't include a reply address via craigslist, I spell it out with spaces at the bottom of my ad. That way someone has to either visit my website and use my form email, or they have to type in my email address into a new email. I haven't gotten any spam since I started this.
Crazy8 10:58 AM 01-24-2014
I hate craigslist - all I ever get are spam emails from them!!!

But I have gotten desperate for kids and have used them a little more but now I just don't even accept responses to the ad and I give them the name of my daycare to google my website and contact me thru there. Any "real" candidate will take the extra minute to do that (and they'll get lots more info on my website) but the scammers don't!
TwinKristi 11:49 AM 01-24-2014
I used to get a lot of spam emails but haven't in a long time. They're pretty obvious to me and I just delete them. Never gotten spam calls!
aemcclane 02:01 PM 01-24-2014
I am just starting out and was considering craigslist. Reconsidering that! Thanks!
melilley 02:03 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by aemcclane:
I am just starting out and was considering craigslist. Reconsidering that! Thanks!
I've had nothing but success with cl! Just weed out the ones that aren't real.
TwinKristi 02:18 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Exactly! They're pretty obvious to me... They usually say something along the lines of "dear sir or madam, I will be bringing my child to you from Feb 30th to March 30th. She is very well behaved and won't cause you any problems. I will compensate you at a rate of $100 per day payable by cashiers check that I will mail to you as soon as possible. Please reply with your address and I will send it immediately" It's just so obvious to me. This is NOT how a normal person will respond to your ad. The first question EVERY person but one (state funded parent) has asked is my rate and availability first and foremost. Then I have to reply asking what days/hours they need, the age of their child, etc.
melilley 02:40 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Exactly! They're pretty obvious to me... They usually say something along the lines of "dear sir or madam, I will be bringing my child to you from Feb 30th to March 30th. She is very well behaved and won't cause you any problems. I will compensate you at a rate of $100 per day payable by cashiers check that I will mail to you as soon as possible. Please reply with your address and I will send it immediately" It's just so obvious to me. This is NOT how a normal person will respond to your ad. The first question EVERY person but one (state funded parent) has asked is my rate and availability first and foremost. Then I have to reply asking what days/hours they need, the age of their child, etc.
Yes! I have gotten those. Yeah, you can bring your kid for a month and on Feb. 30th..lol
TwinKristi 03:20 PM 01-24-2014
Yes! I have gotten those. Yeah, you can bring your kid for a month and on Feb. 30th..lol
I know!! I have to just laugh at them now. They used to really irritate me at first but now it's kinda silly. I feel bad for people who actually get excited and think it's real! LOL If it sounds too good to be true... it IS!
Maria2013 03:38 PM 01-24-2014
good advise
Tags:craigslist
Reply Up