Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A vent and a question.
debbiedoeszip 02:30 PM 09-29-2016
Vent: Tomorrow I have a second visit with a daycare client/child (child starts next week). She wanted a visit last week, which would have brought the total number of visits to three. This is after having had an interview.

First time mom and she is not from Canada (Caucasian with strong Spanish accent; maybe from Spain or maybe from a South American country). I wonder if multiple visits are normal in her country of origin, or maybe she was advised to ask for them.

During an interview I always invite the client to have a visit (if they want) but she's the only one to take me up on it. Most make a decision with just an interview. Anyway, putting on my social face (hope it's not too close to a grimace LOL)...

Question: What would you do with a pt dcg (18mo) who I suspect is grazing at home. She doesn't eat enough here (at one time) to go the three hours between our periods of eating. She is so crusty and melty the last hour before lunch/snack/pick-up, and other than feeding her early (which would create chaos and revolt with the other kids) I'm not sure what to do.

The most unpleasant time is the last hour before parents pick her up. I hate the idea of them arriving in the middle of a sobbing tantrum every day because she is hungry. I don't want them to think she's like this all day (or that she's not happy here, or being starved). Any advice?
Ariana 05:44 PM 09-29-2016
I would address it directly with the parents. Ask them if she is grazing at home, explain how things work at your daycare and then express your concern that she is not eating enough and you think this is why she is melting down before they pick her up. Ask them if they can get on board with following more of a daycare schedule and explain that in group care feeding at specific times is the only way you can do things.

At least this way they can understand why she is upset at pickup everyday.
Reply Up