Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Rude and Inconsiderate Parent Didn't Show Up
learn-n-grow 05:42 PM 08-17-2011
Well as I suspected she was a no show, didn't call or txt...nothing. At this point, I don't know what to do. I was gonna send a term letter certified mail but does that mean that she is not responsible for paying the two week tuition that is owed being that a two week notice wasn't provided. I wanna make sure I do things right because I am going to take her to small claims court. Should I wait another week and then send the letter? Please help, this is the first time that I had to deal with this situation.
Abigail 05:45 PM 08-17-2011
Was she suppose to pay today? Can her child still come for the next two weeks if she pays? I would give her a call tonight and again in the morning trying to get an answer. It's your choice if you want to leave a simple message like "Please give me a call back today".

If you don't reach her by tomorrow I would go ahead and mail the letter tomorrow so you don't drag it out. Have the due date be the last day of her two weeks or you will go to small claims. Let her know to pay in full by cash/check and pick up her things if she drops by sometime.
daycare 05:46 PM 08-17-2011
it all depends on what your contract says.... If I term for certain reasons, then they will still have to pay for the last two weeks. Otherwise if I term the contract for other reasons, then there is no money due to me....
wdmmom 07:20 AM 08-18-2011
I wouldn't send out a termination paper, I would send out an invoice outlining any and all charges she owes including the 2 week notice that you require per the contract. At the bottom of the invoice I would note that failure to pay WILL result in legal action possibly costing her more money and give her 5 business days to pay it.

If she don't pay, go file the papers. Doesn't sound like it'd be too hard of a case to win. Some parents need to learn to take responsibility for their actions! Grrr!
CheekyChick 07:33 AM 08-18-2011
If you require a WRITTEN two week notice, then she is still on the "clock." I would text her and say she is responsible for payment until she gives her notice and pays her last two week's - PLUS anything accumulated until the point she gives her notice. I hope that made sense.
Unregistered 10:04 AM 08-18-2011
Maybe you should call her at work too, lol.

I send letters to the creditors/trustee's they're in arrears with, updating all their new work info. phone numbers ect. so they can garnish them. I don't get my money back, BUT I feel I'm helping to stimulate the economy!
learn-n-grow 06:33 PM 08-18-2011
Thanks! All of this advice is very useful! Now when I send the invoice, do I charge for just the two weeks or until she actually gives the two week notice because I doubt if she will even gives notice, even after I send this letter...
wdmmom 06:03 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by learn-n-grow:
Thanks! All of this advice is very useful! Now when I send the invoice, do I charge for just the two weeks or until she actually gives the two week notice because I doubt if she will even gives notice, even after I send this letter...
You send the invoice for:

The time she already owes you for
The required notice to terminate (your 2 weeks notice)
Any late fees
For example: If she owes you for the past 2 weeks and you charge $100 a week, she owes you $400 for care and your late fee.

learn-n-grow 09:56 AM 08-19-2011
Well she abruptly took all of last week off and didn't let me know until ten minutes after she was supposed to show up Monday. Then this week Monday, I got no call at all. She just didn't show up. I still haven't heard from her so I am going to send her a letter certified mail explaining what she owes and that I have not received a two week notice and that she will continue to be billed until notice is given. But like you said I am just going to bill her for the past two weeks and the two week notice period. Am I correct?
mismatchedsocks 10:23 AM 08-19-2011
I would just bill her for the past 2 weeks that she owes now. Then at bottom state that she will be billed for each week that she does not give you a 2 week notice. As soon as she gives you the notice ( which she will if you leave messages for all her work numbers, and emergency contact info that she needs to get ahold of you then on her message say that you will file against her on X date, even if you have no 2 week notice.

So lets say its $100 a week, I would send a bill for $200 explaining what each charge is for, then write a note that she needs to get current and give 2 week notice if her child is no longer coming. Then each week send her a new bill. Hopefully she will give you a notice so that she can get a final bill.

I WOULD NOT SEND A BILL FOR FINAL 2 WEEKS UNTIL SHE HAS GIVEN NOTICE.
learn-n-grow 10:26 AM 08-19-2011
Thanks so much! This is really good advice!
mismatchedsocks 10:40 AM 08-19-2011
I would however replace her now. She would not be welcome back here, and IF she tried, then tell her upon many attempts and no response from her you had another family who needed care.

Make sure to change in your policy, if you dont have it already, that no communication about the last 2 weeks of care, means that you can fill the spot and cannot guarantee that there will be an opening for their child unless they let you know they need it.
Unregistered 11:05 AM 08-19-2011
IF you have a contract then she breeched it by not paying you and is 2 weeks behind I would NOT give her 2 week notice I would send her a term notice today and a bill for the 2 weeks she owes and any late fees she owes and give her 5 days to respond if not you will see her in court and she will then have to pay court cost also.
Tags:no show, payment in advance, terminate - no show, two week notice
Reply Up