Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>High Demand Infant Spots?
Kristina 06:07 AM 06-08-2012
I have an infant spot that will open up Feb. 2013. It seems like forever away, but in my town, infant spots fill up quickly. There are waiting lists for spots. If a family wants a spot at a good daycare, they need to be put on a list at least a year in advance.

I have had 5 different families contact me about my infant spot opening up in Feb. 2013. They say that they are all very interested. How would you handle this situation? I have a deposit system set up, last two weeks tuition to secure a spot due at signing. Last four, if a sibling set.

Is it safe to sign a family this early? What if, heaven forbid, something happens???

I was thinking if we do, to have a start date on the contract for when baby turns 6 weeks old / mom goes back to work. And if they need to start after my slot opens to pay the non refundable holding fee since so many others are interested, and more undoubtedly will be.

But how do I choose which family to accept?
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Kristina:
I have an infant spot that will open up Feb. 2013. It seems like forever away, but in my town, infant spots fill up quickly. There are waiting lists for spots. If a family wants a spot at a good daycare, they need to be put on a list at least a year in advance.

I have had 5 different families contact me about my infant spot opening up in Feb. 2013. They say that they are all very interested. How would you handle this situation? I have a deposit system set up, last two weeks tuition to secure a spot due at signing. Last four, if a sibling set.

Is it safe to sign a family this early? What if, heaven forbid, something happens???

I was thinking if we do, to have a start date on the contract for when baby turns 6 weeks old / mom goes back to work. And if they need to start after my slot opens to pay the non refundable holding fee since so many others are interested, and more undoubtedly will be.

But how do I choose which family to accept?
I would choose whichever family you felt was the best fit for your program just as you do with any other child. Interview them and choose which family has the care situation you can best meet and which family is willing to pay your deposit. Do not save space for anyone with out payment and a signed contract.

The details are up to you and from what you posted, I think you have a good system planned out. I understand that things can undoubtly happen but you are still saving the space so you do what you need to do to make your business run smoothly and without any type of financial loss to you.

Anything that can happen outside of that isn't on your end of your concerns...kwim? I know that sounds a bit harsh but honeslty, you look out for you (and your business) and the parents will look out for them and all will work well.

It is the same way here for infant spaces. I have parents who are newly pregnant caling to find care. I don't even interview until a family is atleast 6 months pregnant and in the last few years I haven't even accepted new families with infants as my current families have kept me full themselves.
cheerfuldom 09:14 AM 06-08-2012
Its different where I live. People (including me) do not talk to parents so far in advance. I don't interview anyone unless they are 8 to 10 weeks from their start date. Too much can change between now and then.

But also, the home daycares around here do not do deposits or any type of enrollment fees.
wahmof3 09:43 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Its different where I live. People (including me) do not talk to parents so far in advance. I don't interview anyone unless they are 8 to 10 weeks from their start date. Too much can change between now and then.

But also, the home daycares around here do not do deposits or any type of enrollment fees.
This is a great idea!

I have had calls several months in advance & wasn't quite sure how to handle it. In fact I did hold a spot (no charge) for an infant starting April of 2011 with a start date of October 2011, only for the family to move and their needs changed

My area is the same way: no deposits or enrollment fees.
cheerfuldom 09:53 AM 06-08-2012
oh yeah, I never hold spots. I interview with a start date of 10 weeks out tops, but preferable sooner. Then if they are a good fit, and they sign the contract, and stay in touch with me, and their kid makes it past the trial two weeks, THEN they can stay. Weeds out a lot of wasted time for non productive interviews. Any thing out farther than that, I dont know what spots will be available and more than likely, parents are just shopping around and not ready to commit anyway.
lil angels 09:56 AM 06-08-2012
I am just starting a baby that I signed up almost 10 months ago. They paid deposit and I was able to tell them what hrs I was willing to work for them. Because I'm trying to get family's that only need Monday thru Thursday care during the summer and they were ok with it. Infant care is very hard to find here also I have a child that turns two on July 7 and baby starts on the 9 th. the baby is 4 moths old now and the grandparents have cared for it till now so I also know that they have good back up care. Witch is always a plus.

So anyway what I am getting at is it can be done if you find the right family and if something does fall through if you are like me around here it won't take long to find another baby for that spot.
wahmof3 09:58 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
oh yeah, I never hold spots. I interview with a start date of 10 weeks out tops, but preferable sooner. Then if they are a good fit, and they sign the contract, and stay in touch with me, and their kid makes it past the trial two weeks, THEN they can stay. Weeds out a lot of wasted time for non productive interviews. Any thing out farther than that, I dont know what spots will be available and more than likely, parents are just shopping around and not ready to commit anyway.
So if you get a call lets say with a start date of like 3-4 months, do you go ahead and phone screen them & tell them to call you back closer to the 8-10 week time frame or do you just flat out tell them to call back 8-10 weeks before?
Reply Up