Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default 8.5 Month Old Refusing the Bottle

She'll drink *maybe* 3 oz of a bottle before it goes flying. And she will not take it back after she tosses it.

I tried putting it in a sippy cup, 1 sip and the cup went flying coupled with the rage scream.

She'll eat infant oatmeal with her formula mixed in. 2 oz of formula in oatmeal is the max she'll take of that though.

She'll gobble up any table food you put in front of her. God help us if the kids are eating real food and she is not. Rage screaming, throwing herself back, furiously trying to roll her way to the table.

She's always been opinionated but this is a new level, even for her.

Anybody ever had a baby like this before? Tips? Ideas?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:34 PM
Daycare.com Member

Offer the bottle and table food at the same time. Keep parents updated. Let them deal with the bottle at home.

Mix a few ounces of formula and offer it in a shot glass, one ounce at a time. Teach her how to hold and drink from a cup and get her to drink her formula at the same time.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM

This little stinker has us trained.

She's taking three 6 oz bottles between 8:45pm and 6:45am.

So no lack of formula intake, just a baby who trained us well.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would just give her the formula and when it's tossed, put it up.

Keep a sippy of water handy that only you control, and that's just for if you feel kiddo isn't getting enough fluids with the meal.

And I would just let the kiddo eat table food if that's what dck wants.

Just chop it 1/4" or smaller. Just do small pieces of cooked dry beans, broken Cheerios, little bits of rice, tiny strawberry pieces or whatever.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM

I would not offer infant cereal until she took enough formula to meet her nutritional needs. It is an empty filler, I don't even serve it.

Minimum 24 ounces in 24 hours. I prefer closer to 32 because of iron.

My goal would be:

3 ounces with breakfast. 3 ounces with lunch. 6-8 ounces with morning snack. 6-8 ounces with afternoon snack. 18-22 ounces offered right there.

Remember they will also be getting formula at night, with their parents. Knowing how much they give may take some of the pressure off of you. They may even be giving a morning bottle before arrival.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I would not offer infant cereal until she took enough formula to meet her nutritional needs. It is an empty filler, I don't even serve it.

Minimum 24 ounces in 24 hours. I prefer closer to 32 because of iron.

My goal would be:

3 ounces with breakfast. 3 ounces with lunch. 6-8 ounces with morning snack. 6-8 ounces with afternoon snack. 18-22 ounces offered right there.

Remember they will also be getting formula at night, with their parents. Knowing how much they give may take some of the pressure off of you. They may even be giving a morning bottle before arrival.
Turns out she's getting 18-24 oz of formula between 8:45pm and 6:45am.

The story before today was she was sleeping thru the night and not taking much of her morning bottle before she got here. Hence my concern with the lack of formula intake because my calculations, based on sleeping thru the night, had her at 18-24 oz max in 24 hrs.

With the new info it's more like 24-30 oz in 24 hours.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

I would ask parents to give at least 6 oz before dropping off .Then do the best you can.I wouldn't fight her .It always seems once they get real table food it ruins them on baby food.Offer formula when appropriate then give same lunch /snacks as everybody else.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
Turns out she's getting 18-24 oz of formula between 8:45pm and 6:45am.

The story before today was she was sleeping thru the night and not taking much of her morning bottle before she got here. Hence my concern with the lack of formula intake because my calculations, based on sleeping thru the night, had her at 18-24 oz max in 24 hrs.

With the new info it's more like 24-30 oz in 24 hours.
It makes such a huge difference. Hope it gets easier, now.

Tags
9 month old, bottle issues, formula, formula - how often, formula - to what age, iron deficient anemia, won't drink from bottle