Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Clashing with owner/director
Unregistered 11:35 AM 06-16-2014
I work at a center from 9-6. I basically close the center everyday (center closes at 6pm). My problem is the owner of the program constantly undermines my authority. I was told that the late fee is $1.00 per minute. Yet when I charge parents she goes over my head and waives the late fee. Her argument is that we can't afford to lose any children but we are licensed for 30 and are almost at capacity. This daycare is located in an urban area and most families are from a low socioeconomic level. These parents receive childcare vouchers. The position is stressful because most of the parents do not know how to communicate and have been disrespectful and rude in the past (cursing at staff members, threatening to fight staff members). The owner/director avoids the parents by coming to the daycare after drop off ( everyone is usually dropped off by 8:30am) and leaving before 1:00pm ( most children are picked up between 5-6pm). Her attitude is pretty much that she needs to bring in money so therefore the staff should grin and bear it.
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 06-16-2014
I'm sorry you are going through this.

Unfortunately, you don't have many options.

If you are able to, I would find another center to work at.

Are the late parents causing you to have to stay late?
melilley 11:46 AM 06-16-2014
Awww so sorry you have to look like the bad guy!

Most states require directors/owners to be present so many hours a day. I would check into that. She shouldn't be out of the building that much anyways!

I too would be looking for another job!
DaisyMamma 11:48 AM 06-16-2014
Ask her what she wants you to do. If she is going to remove your charges then maybe you shouldnt be applying them. If she wants you to charge them so she can remove it, then thats another issue.
I would start looking for another job.
SignMeUp 12:13 PM 06-16-2014
I always hear that centers expect payment-in-hand from late parents: Do not come for your child until you have the late fee. Then that late fee is handed directly to the care provider who had to stay, and it's theirs to keep. (It always sounds slightly shady to me, but I've heard this over and over.)

So basically my question is: Are you staying late? Are you getting paid for staying late?
snbauser 12:19 PM 06-16-2014
I would point blank ask her if she wants them charged or not and tell her that if she is just going to waive them, then you won't bother saying anything to the parents. I would also make sure that you are getting paid if you are staying late to accomodate late pick ups. Short of that, the only thing you can really do is find someplace else to work.
KidGrind 12:28 PM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Ask her what she wants you to do. If she is going to remove your charges then maybe you shouldnt be applying them. If she wants you to charge them so she can remove it, then thats another issue.
I would start looking for another job.

Shell 01:22 PM 06-16-2014
The last center where I worked had the same late fee policy. We would have to confront the parents and have them initial for being late, and the director would charge...nothing! We always had to stay late, and the director always had some b.s excuse about why she didn't have to pay us for the extra time. My advice is the same as a few others- get out while you can. Centers are a dime a dozen where I live- check out a center with a better reputation of following policies. I once worked for one that was very serious about late fees, and everything else. All centers have their flaws, but I would find one that has better policies and more respectful people.
kitykids3 04:50 PM 06-16-2014
Yeah, ask her whether she wants u to charge or not. Perhaps look for another place. Are you getting paid past 6pm?
cheerfuldom 05:34 AM 06-17-2014
I would look for another job.
Tags:bad providers
Reply Up