Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Employee Emergencies
springv 09:53 AM 02-01-2020
Friday (1-24) employee had to leave because their loved one was being admitted to the hospital because of illness and they stayed all weekend and then on monday, they worked and then after work, they went back to the hospital and then complications happened and they had to take off the rest of the week to stay with their loved one and our administrator got upset because them employee had to miss work and couldn't find anyone to cover their shift for the rest of the week and the administrator stated they didn't even try to ask anyone plus the administrator is threatening to tell the employee to call the boss and tell her that they can't work. What would you do?
Unregistered 11:45 AM 02-01-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
Friday (1-24) employee had to leave because their loved one was being admitted to the hospital because of illness and they stayed all weekend and then on monday, they worked and then after work, they went back to the hospital and then complications happened and they had to take off the rest of the week to stay with their loved one and our administrator got upset because them employee had to miss work and couldn't find anyone to cover their shift for the rest of the week and the administrator stated they didn't even try to ask anyone plus the administrator is threatening to tell the employee to call the boss and tell her that they can't work. What would you do?
As an administrator, I would be upset too. The employee isn't sick. S(he) can visit her loved one after her shift.
My loved husband was very sick (cancer). So, I spent all the time before and after my job with him (weekends, evenings, nights) in the hospital.
Cat Herder 01:30 PM 02-01-2020
If they have no vacation built up and this loved one is not their own minor child, they need to get their shift covered or go before and after work as mentioned before. The hospital is providing shelter and care. Surely part-time co-workers would be willing to help cover for extra hours? Most beg for them.

I live in a right to work state, so I would have been let go as soon as my vacation days were used up because of job abandonment. If I intended to keep my job, I'd go to work. If it was important enough to give up my job, I would do that. Daycare center jobs are pretty easy to come by.
springv 02:47 PM 02-01-2020
She claims that she was the only one that could stay because everyone else had responsibilities. But the administrator claims that it's because they wanted to be in control of everything and no one else gets to have a say
Cat Herder 03:12 PM 02-01-2020
She claims that she was the only one that could stay because everyone else had responsibilities. But the administrator claims that it's because they wanted to be in control of everything and no one else gets to have a say
Having a job, that provides an income, to support one's self, is an adult responsibility. How is she any different? I take it this is not her child? Either way, admin is well within their right to terminate.
sahm1225 04:14 PM 02-01-2020
Idk. My first thought was that the employee notified them
She couldn’t work the rest of the week and at the end of the day, in 10 years, she’ll remember being there for that person vs choosing to stay at work. I think I would need to know more about the situation, but I’m Still leaning towards showing compassion.

Ps. I am confused as to what the difference between an administrator is versus the boss.
springv 04:45 PM 02-01-2020
It's actually their grandmother
flying_babyb 04:47 PM 02-01-2020
They can take time from there responsibilties. When my best freinds grandma was sick and didnt want to be alone at the hospital we (best freind, me, her mom) worked it out to take shifts.
Tags:adults, employee - sick days, employee emergencies, finances, responsibilities
Reply Up