Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Virus Anyone? Sorry Kind Of Long....
Christian Mother 07:56 PM 02-09-2012
I tried researching new virus that just came out bc my daughter is really sick. I can't seem to find anything on her symptoms... Tues she came home from preschool with a cough that sounded like it was congested. By the next day she had a raging temp. that I gave her Tylenol for which did not break. When her temp was taken at the doctors it was 103.5. My husband said that all the sick kids that where in their (which was packed) seemed to have the same thing. All the parents where talking about it in the waiting room. While waiting for almost a hr in the doctors room the doctor seemed frantic going from room to room and the nurses where trying to locate breathing machine bc of all the bad coughs for our kids. One child was having a serious hard time breathing so they send for a ambulance to take him to the hospital. The doctor only said she had acute bronchitis. No antibiotics just a neutralizer with a steroid and preventative for the cough. And to take mucinex as well as Tylenol and Motrin for the fever and pain. We don't have Motrin so we've been using Ibuprofen which she throws up every time I give it to her. For 2 straight days now she has been running a temp. It hasn't been as high as at the doctors office but about 102.5 all day even with med's. She isn't hungry but she will take some fluids. Not much. My husband has been home to help me with her...I told all the parents and they understand she is ill but isolated from the kids. But they understand that just bc she is isolated doesn't mean they can't catch it either. They enter at their own risk. Tomorrow if she is not better I am going to take her to the hospital. I am really worried about her..she has never been this sick for that long. I wish I knew what I was dealing with and how to really help her bc I am doing everything the doctor ask me to do but she doesn't seem to get any better. I hope the breathing machine is breaking up this cough. She's a sleep now but I just know when she wakes up she's going to feel sick from all the mucus in her chest. I do have her propped up on pillows so she isn't sleeping on her back and I have a humidifier that has vicks vapors going in her room. I just don't know what else to do..I just pray her temp. breaks...
Sunchimes 08:25 PM 02-09-2012
How scary for all of you! I hope that she is feeling better by morning.
Childminder 08:35 PM 02-09-2012
You must be frantic. Hopefully the fever breaks soon. Lots of fluid and maybe some cool cloths on her head and the back of her neck?
bice99 08:40 PM 02-09-2012
Whooping cough is on the rise! 2 boys at my DH's school have it, even though they received vaccines.
DaycareMama 08:56 PM 02-09-2012
hugs to you all. I really hope her temp breaks soon and she feels better.
countrymom 06:16 AM 02-10-2012
roseolla? can it be an ear infection.
Cat Herder 06:31 AM 02-10-2012
Out here Strep and RSV are on the rise so fast it just made the front page of our newspaper....

A couple elementary schools were at 50% or less attendance...

Ironic, 4 of my DCK's are on Mucinex and Nebs (albuterol), currently....RSV.

The symptoms and onset you described sound exactly like my DCK's.
Sunchimes 06:33 AM 02-10-2012
How is your daughter feeling today?
MamaBear 07:39 AM 02-10-2012
Over here in Southern California we have a lot of cruddy coughs going around. My son had a cough that lasted about a month almost! It was a bronchitis cough. All my daycare kids had it... cough, cold and fever. Just a funk going around.
Christian Mother 08:09 AM 02-10-2012
Still very sick Slept through the night but woke up this morning with a temp of 101.7 not to bad but her tummy is all up set. I think she does have RSV. I am not sure but I think I might take her to the Children's Hospital. She isn't drinking much although she peed. It's bright yellow which means she def. doesn't have enough fluids in her. Earlier she coughed after having her breathing treatment and through up biol...last night she throw up at it was white a little foamy. She's sleeping right now with my husband. I just want to allow her to sleep as she was up til 11am last night not feeling well. I feel awful for her...we where going to take her for her bday to the Renaissance Festival on Sun. and it looks like we won't be doing that with her as she is so sick.
karen 11:11 AM 02-10-2012
How sad!
Here are my suggestions-
Coughs that make the child breathe in and say whoop at the same time means whooping cough
Coughs that sound like a seal is barking it is croup. Croup is going around at my center right now. 3 kids came in with it on Monday.
Coughs that sound like a rattle has been inserted into chest it's bronchitis/rsv
Somethings you can try.....
Vicks works wonders I would put on chest and bottoms of feet. When I would get croup nothing worked better for me.
Lot's of fluids to be offered at all times 7up, sprite, Jello, popsicles, anything that is her favorite avoid milk. My favorite thing to drink has always been a fountain coke.
Lots of bedrest.
Homemade soup-yummy!
Hang in there she will get better. Hugs to you and your family!
saved4always 02:25 PM 02-10-2012
My daughter has had bronchiolitis several times since school started. She is still on the albuterol in her nebulizer and advair from the last bout that started a few weeks ago. Last year she had croup...so weird because she was 8 years old at the time and had never had it before. But it did sound like a barking seal. It seems all her friends have been coughing up a lung all school year, too. And now strep is going around here. Oh...and one little one I watch has had a cough since she started back in the fall. Sometimes I wonder if my daughter keeps getting sick because this child naps in her room while my daughter is at school. Everything seems to hit my daughter in the lungs. For such a mild winter here, illnesses are still going around like crazy.
saved4always 02:27 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Still very sick Slept through the night but woke up this morning with a temp of 101.7 not to bad but her tummy is all up set. I think she does have RSV. I am not sure but I think I might take her to the Children's Hospital. She isn't drinking much although she peed. It's bright yellow which means she def. doesn't have enough fluids in her. Earlier she coughed after having her breathing treatment and through up biol...last night she throw up at it was white a little foamy. She's sleeping right now with my husband. I just want to allow her to sleep as she was up til 11am last night not feeling well. I feel awful for her...we where going to take her for her bday to the Renaissance Festival on Sun. and it looks like we won't be doing that with her as she is so sick.
That is especially sad that this is going to mess up her birthday plans. I hope she makes a super fast recovery before Sunday! Sending prayers and hugs your way!!!!!!
Kaddidle Care 02:35 PM 02-10-2012
Do be careful - bronchitis can move down and turn into pneumonia. Go with your gut Mama - if you feel she isn't improving, bring her back to the Dr. or ER.

Hope she's better soon.
Sprouts 03:53 PM 02-10-2012
my son also had something very similar, a WHOLE week of fever...which started monday, he also went up to 103.5....the doc said if he had fever by sunday to give him antiobiots, but friday or saturday was the last day...he also didn't eat....sorry to hear

hope she is feeling better....he also spits up his medicine, so i give him acetometaphen suppositories which i buy from cvs
Christian Mother 09:41 AM 02-13-2012
Sunday first day of no fever!! Today (Monday) no fever but she is still coughing bronchitis sounding. The breathing treatments are really helping but I am laying off the mucinex since she's been on it all week at least 3 times a day. She has starting eating again but not much...she has had some small crescent rolls, apple sauce, popcorn, ritz crackers, and she had a little bit of a breakfast roll so we are on the up finally. I called her in from preschool today but I am going to have her go for her speech therapy class today. She should be able to return back to school tomorrow but I am so scared to have her go to preschool bc it seems like she is getting sick from there. I know it's what I should expect but she hardly ever gets sick her from daycare so I have no ideal why she gets so sick from preschool...maybe I should start giving her baths as soon as she gets back from school...I don't know if that will help..maybe help the other kids here...
Tags:sickness, virus
Reply Up