Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2020, 12:35 PM
Molouu's Avatar
Molouu Molouu is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 8
Default Home Daycare into a Center?

Has anyone turned their home daycare into a child care center? Either by way of converting your house or buying a building. I tried looking for it in the forum, but wasnít able to find anything. I know thatís not a goal for a lot of people, but itís something I would love to end up doing in the future and would love to hear first hand from others how it went for them and talk with them about it if they are willing. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,756
Default

I am licensed as a large group family child care in MN
I operate out of a house we purchased strictly for operating a child care. I live several miles away.

Every state has different rules though and not all states allow the provider to live off site.

Being a center in my state had way too many requirements and restrictions so I opted to remain family care instead.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:04 PM
Molouu's Avatar
Molouu Molouu is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I am licensed as a large group family child care in MN
I operate out of a house we purchased strictly for operating a child care. I live several miles away.

Every state has different rules though and not all states allow the provider to live off site.

Being a center in my state had way too many requirements and restrictions so I opted to remain family care instead.
I live in Florida and I havenít looking too heavily into the center requirements since it wouldnít be a reality for years, but from what Iíve seen they donít seem too terrible. There is a woman I met once whoís center looks like it was once a house so I always thought maybe she converted her house into a small center which is what I would like to do one day. Are there any differences between a family daycare and large family day care besides amount of children?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2020, 06:30 PM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 824
Default

If you want you could google: You are my sunshine Allouz daycare. The owner Keegan started out in a tiny home center and is now a beautiful center. worth a look.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2020, 08:49 PM
CalCare's Avatar
CalCare CalCare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: California
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molouu View Post
I live in Florida and I havenít looking too heavily into the center requirements since it wouldnít be a reality for years, but from what Iíve seen they donít seem too terrible. There is a woman I met once whoís center looks like it was once a house so I always thought maybe she converted her house into a small center which is what I would like to do one day. Are there any differences between a family daycare and large family day care besides amount of children?
It's different in every state. Here in California, the difference is mainly that you can add 6 more kids and you have to have an assistant there for that. Additional parts are the physical space has a few more safety regs. But that's all for going from "small family childcare" to "large family childcare". A center is a whole different set of regulations. Also we can't have a residential house become a center because you can't just have a childcare center on a residential zoned property. So, that would never happen. But there are old houses in areas that have become zoned for business, and those houses can be used as a center just as they can be used as dentist offices etc.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2020, 10:26 PM
Molouu's Avatar
Molouu Molouu is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCare View Post
It's different in every state. Here in California, the difference is mainly that you can add 6 more kids and you have to have an assistant there for that. Additional parts are the physical space has a few more safety regs. But that's all for going from "small family childcare" to "large family childcare". A center is a whole different set of regulations. Also we can't have a residential house become a center because you can't just have a childcare center on a residential zoned property. So, that would never happen. But there are old houses in areas that have become zoned for business, and those houses can be used as a center just as they can be used as dentist offices etc.
I completely understand zoning not being right for most peopleís homes. Many houses around me are zoned residential and some type of commercial (not sure the differences between the commercial types, havenít looked too much into it), but I wasnít even thinking that wouldnít be the case for most people. Finding a home zoned for it wouldnít be too difficult. And not that I would ever try to understand re-zoning because itís a lot, but I imagine someone out there has done it for their small business.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2020, 10:30 PM
Molouu's Avatar
Molouu Molouu is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_babyb View Post
If you want you could google: You are my sunshine Allouz daycare. The owner Keegan started out in a tiny home center and is now a beautiful center. worth a look.
Thank you! I love the fact that kids can have more same-aged peers while still getting that home feel.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
home to center, home vs center

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daycare Providers Wish Parents Knew These 12 Things Michael Parents and Guardians Forum 22 11-04-2019 08:56 PM
Center Director or Home Daycare Owner? consmom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 06-25-2016 08:32 PM
Considering a change of home to center Controlled Chaos Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 08-07-2014 09:08 AM
Child Adjusting From A Center To Home Daycare LoraJenkins Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 04-14-2013 07:11 PM
Need advice please - re: daycare switch? Mazzy Parents and Guardians Forum 24 08-16-2012 11:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming