Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Color Blind?
NiNi.R. 12:15 PM 01-22-2020
I have a 3.5 year old dcb. He talks well, picks up on things very quickly. Knows his shapes, recognizes numerals 1-5, can sort and match, etc. He knows every single color I have introduced to him to except purple. He often confuses it for blue. I've laid pieces of different colored construction paper out and had him place a coordinating colored bear on the paper. Even if he doesn't know the name of the color, he is able to match them up. Again, except for purple. He places all the blue and purple bears on the blue paper. When I ask where are the purple bears are he says he can't see them. I have given him just purple and blue to sort and he just places a random assortment of blue and purple bears on each paper. We've played a color hunt. When I ask him to bring me something purple, he always grabs something blue. I'll say no that's blue, try again, and he will bring me another blue object but usually a different shade. I could give several more examples.

I know these are common colors to get mixed up but because he picks up on everything else so quickly and he has struggled with these since September, my gut tells me he honestly can't see it. He is getting frustrated and when he knows we are about to play a color game, he never wants to play.

I mentioned it to dcd early on that he was having trouble with the two colors, and then again on progress report. They don't seem overly concerned. However, in fairness to them, I 've not described in detail to them what I have above. I have zero experience with color blindness, and I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, so to speak.

Should I say more? And how should I go about it?
Cat Herder 12:22 PM 01-22-2020
It could be blue cone defect, he can be tested for it. https://www.diseasefix.com/page/blue...ind-test/5334/

I can't read alarm clocks/radios/remotes etc. that are blue display, and recently they are becoming more common. That is why I despise my new stove, too. Blue display. I can see the color blue, it is just a moving blue blob of light that hurts my face to look at.
Valerie928 01:09 PM 01-22-2020
Both of my sons have red/green color blindness, called "color deficit" nowadays. This was discovered by the school's testing. They have grown to be able to distinguish those colors.
NiNi.R. 07:01 AM 01-23-2020
Any advice for how to approach the topic with the parents?
Cat Herder 07:34 AM 01-23-2020
They will have to do the ear, eye, dental screening form to enter pre-k or public school. Other than to continue to tell the parents of your concerns, there is not much you can do. It does not really fall into the medical neglect category.
Tags:color blind
Reply Up