Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Teacher Pay - Year Round

Hi All! I have filled my soon-to-be open spots with a teacher friend's two boys. They won't need me in the summer, as both parents are teachers. I'm fine with that this year, since I would love an easier summer. But I was wondering if anyone had ever averaged a teacher's 40 week payments out over the 52 week year in order to get paid over summers. I know it won't work this year, but maybe starting in the fall.

For example, let's say she pays me $300/week for both boys. Instead of pay that for 40 weeks, she would pay $240 52 weeks. They couldn't come in the summer, but they would still pay during the summer. Any feedback? Has anyone had this work in the past? I know there are some factors to consider, like if we end care early and such. How have any of you dealt with that type of situation? TIA
Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Unregistered

they should pay 390 per week as parttime clients. In this way, they will cover all 52 weeks. You can give them a discount if you want to.
No one likes to pay for daycare while not attending. It is easier to increase weekly payments a little and don't charge during summer.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I charge teachers more on their daily rate so that my summers are partially covered for that 9 weeks. I also take the bulk of my vacation in the summer which is unpaid so it works out. The teachers I have do not know that they pay a higher daily rate by $6.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

I’m (hoping) to have all teachers in the future. I have one with deposits paid for a spot for next school year. She will pay $175 for 42 weeks and not pay at all in the summers. My current clients pay $150 for 50 weeks if they use their 10 allotted vacation days. The teachers actually pay me MORE per year than my year round families currently do. It is just up to me to budget to make sure I spread the money out over the months where I’m receiving less pay. No one pays if I take a random day off, for what’s its worth.

If you do it the way you described I bet a lot will just cut off contact after the school year to avoid paying summers and find new care the next fall.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

Charge a little more to cover summers.If you try to charge for summer with no attendance they would probally leave.When I had teachers contracts they paid a little more .They paid from last week of August until last week of June.They paid for school vacations but kept their child home.All school closings they paid but did not attend.Last week of June I collected a non refundable fee of two weeks tuition.It was applied to first two weeks of care next school year.If for any reason they did not come back it was non refundable.You could bank the extra and put it towards the summer It worked out to be only about 5 weeks as I had two weeks paid each summer for the other clients and took Feb school vacation paid as well.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:45 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I charge teachers more on their daily rate so that my summers are partially covered for that 9 weeks. I also take the bulk of my vacation in the summer which is unpaid so it works out. The teachers I have do not know that they pay a higher daily rate by $6.
Same but by $18/week. Christmas break is paid at regular rate. Spring break can be taken at half rate.
Plus, they repay their enrollment fee (deposit) every Fall since it's forfeited in June.

Last edited by Snowmom; 01-27-2020 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added fees
Old 01-28-2020, 07:50 AM
Daycare.com Member

I only take teachers kids as I am closed in the summer, but I will say charging for a full year but only providing 9 months of care wouldn't work here. Parents would just leave. Providers near me either charge and offer to provide care year round whether or not they come, or fill the spots with school age kids. Parents will hop around to save three months worth of tuition.

Tags
teacher, teacher - schedule, teacher contract