Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensing Coming On Thursday, Any Tips?
MCC 12:23 PM 12-02-2013
I applied to switch from a county permit to a state license back in October. They called this morning, and are coming to do the initial inspection on Thursday! I am so excited, b/c it's opening up 2 new spots, my insurance goes down, and I can applied for the food program! Anyway- I am pretty nervous about a couple of things, and was hoping you all could help.

1. Diaper changes/cleaning- we have to Start by washing our hands, then change, then wash the kids hands, our hands, and then clean sanitize the mat. Where do I put the kid when I'm washing my hands? Do I wash their hands and then plop them on the bathroom floor while I wash mine? I normally just put them outside the bathroom door, but I wasn't sure if that's okay?

2. I'm using a dawn/water spray to "clean". Do I just use this mixture for the changing mat as well, or is a diaper wipe sufficient, and then sanitize?

Any other tips? I know I am over thinking this. I do have clinical OCD, so I am trying to be calm, but I am pretty worried I'm going to mess this up
Michael 12:42 PM 12-02-2013
Some previous posts to read: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ection+-+first
jenboo 12:55 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I applied to switch from a county permit to a state license back in October. They called this morning, and are coming to do the initial inspection on Thursday! I am so excited, b/c it's opening up 2 new spots, my insurance goes down, and I can applied for the food program! Anyway- I am pretty nervous about a couple of things, and was hoping you all could help.

1. Diaper changes/cleaning- we have to Start by washing our hands, then change, then wash the kids hands, our hands, and then clean sanitize the mat. Where do I put the kid when I'm washing my hands? Do I wash their hands and then plop them on the bathroom floor while I wash mine? I normally just put them outside the bathroom door, but I wasn't sure if that's okay?
it differs from state to state but here is how I have to do it: After I wash the kids hands, I have to place them back with the rest of the children then wash my own hands.
2. I'm using a dawn/water spray to "clean". Do I just use this mixture for the changing mat as well, or is a diaper wipe sufficient, and then sanitize?
If I use dawn/water I have to spray and wipe with that and then spray with water and wipe and then spray with bleach and wipe. I cannot use a baby wipe to clean it. I could use a multi-purpose cleaner and then skip the water/rinse step and go to the bleach spray

Any other tips? I know I am over thinking this. I do have clinical OCD, so I am trying to be calm, but I am pretty worried I'm going to mess this up
im sure you will do just fine! Ask questions if you have any when they are there.
MCC 01:10 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
im sure you will do just fine! Ask questions if you have any when they are there.
Thank you! I will ask about the multipurpose cleaner, that sounds a lot less involved.
MarinaVanessa 01:30 PM 12-02-2013

Yes it's different from state to state but here's what I do when I need to change a diaper (I have a changing table with a mat) ...
1) I sanitize the mat with a Clorox wipe or disinfect it with a diluted bleach/water solution in a spray bottle. Then I wipe it dry.
2) I get all of my supplies out ... wax paper square with a daube of diaper rash ointment, 5 or 6 wipes, a diaper and if it's a #2 I'll pull out a pair of rubber gloves.
3) Then I get the child and we wash our hands. I take the child with me and I stand behind the child while the child is on a stool and I help the child and then I wash my hands while the child dries their hands with paper towels.
4) I put the child on the changing mat and remove the clothes and if necessary I'll put on the gloves. Remove the diaper, clean the area and put the wipes in the diaper, apply the ointment if necessary and close the new diaper then the dirty diaper (add the used wax paper square also). If I have gloves I hold the diaper in one hand and with the other I take the glove by the wrist and pull it down and over the diaper, then I take the diaper in my other gloved hand and do the same again so that the diaper is enclosed inside the gloves (diaper bomb).
5) Then I put the child's clothes back on and we go wash our hands again the same way.
6) I release the child back into the group and then I go back and take all of the trash and put it in the diaper pail, spray the area with bleach/water solution again and leave for 2 minutes then wipe with paper towels and throw them away then wash my hands again.

I wash my hands twice however because my changing table is in the main space and I don't want to leave a child on it while I throw the trash in the diaper pail which is in the bathroom.

Sanitize: Removing some germs to where it's healthy enough to generally be safe
Disinfect: Killing the majority of germs on surfaces.

I would definitely disinfect not sanitize the area. I would use something to kill viruses and germs alike considering that you will be dealing with body fluids and feces.

I answered above in blue
MCC 02:04 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I answered above in blue
Thank you for your response. I guess, in reference to standing behind the child, I'm wondering about babies. The only kids I have in diapers here are under 1, so, none of them are standing.

I am using bleach water, so I think that does disinfect. The licensing reg says "sanitize" does bleach water disinfect? I also have some Proforce, but we don't use it often, I can switch though.
MarinaVanessa 02:10 PM 12-02-2013
Thank you for your response. I guess, in reference to standing behind the child, I'm wondering about babies. The only kids I have in diapers here are under 1, so, none of them are standing.

I am using bleach water, so I think that does disinfect. The licensing reg says "sanitize" does bleach water disinfect? I also have some Proforce, but we don't use it often, I can switch though.
Then you are fine. As for babies that's a good question. I don't wash their hands, just keep them away from the diaper area when it's uncovered. Once they start reaching down under I start washing their hands (around 1 yr). I put my foot on the step stool and sit the child on my leg straddled (if they are too small to wash their own hands) and do the reach around to wash their hands then I wash my hands while their on my lap with my arms around them. Then I pick them up off of my leg and carry them out to the changing table so they don't touch anything in the bathroom.

And yes bleach disinfects so that's perfect. I use it for table tops and toys too.
MCC 02:15 PM 12-02-2013
Then you are fine. As for babies that's a good question. I don't wash their hands, just keep them away from the diaper area when it's uncovered. Once they start reaching down under I start washing their hands (around 1 yr). I put my foot on the step stool and sit the child on my leg straddled (if they are too small to wash their own hands) and do the reach around to wash their hands then I wash my hands while their on my lap with my arms around them. Then I pick them up off of my leg and carry them out to the changing table so they don't touch anything in the bathroom.

And yes bleach disinfects so that's perfect. I use it for table tops and toys too.
Great, thanks! In our regs, it says to "wash child's hands" so I'll just have to ask what they suggest for the littles.
Cradle2crayons 02:20 PM 12-02-2013
Great, thanks! In our regs, it says to "wash child's hands" so I'll just have to ask what they suggest for the littles.
Our regs have wash hands for all kids... Even newborns!! Stupid if you ask me lol.

I don't wash if they can't reach... Another lovely reason I'm not licensed. Some of the regs make NO SENSE AT ALL.
snbauser 02:29 PM 12-02-2013
Our process is similar to above except that we are required to throw everything out in coered garbage can prior to putting the new diaper on the child. And we are required to wash hands for any child that is able to hold their head up.

Bleach water can be both a sanitizer and a disinfectant. It depends on the strength of bleach:water.
itlw8 04:15 PM 12-02-2013
to wash the changing table wash ( with soapy water) rinse with plain water then sanitize with the proper ratio of bleach water. her it is 200 ppm with is about 1/8 to 1/4 t per quart of water. they want three bottles

I would glove to change then roll the diaper in the glove as you remove it
wash babies hands and then go place baby in a safe place return to sanitize the changing table and then you wash your hands.
MCC 04:58 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
to wash the changing table wash ( with soapy water) rinse with plain water then sanitize with the proper ratio of bleach water. her it is 200 ppm with is about 1/8 to 1/4 t per quart of water. they want three bottles

I would glove to change then roll the diaper in the glove as you remove it
wash babies hands and then go place baby in a safe place return to sanitize the changing table and then you wash your hands.
Thanks!

They want three bottles? We have to make our bleach water daily, do you make three bottles a day?? That seems excessive. Or are you saying soap water, water, and bleach?
MCC 05:00 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Our regs have wash hands for all kids... Even newborns!! Stupid if you ask me lol.

I don't wash if they can't reach... Another lovely reason I'm not licensed. Some of the regs make NO SENSE AT ALL.
It is a really silly reg. That and not being able to have my coffee pot plugged in. My husband is home all day and drinks coffee all day. It makes no sense that the pot can't be plugged in. I find it very hard to believe that it would catch fire. (This is the reason for the reg.)

I wish I could continue to go unlicensed, but I really need the extra spots for the income right now, and getting a license is the only way I can legally have more spots.
snbauser 06:20 PM 12-02-2013
Thanks!

They want three bottles? We have to make our bleach water daily, do you make three bottles a day?? That seems excessive. Or are you saying soap water, water, and bleach?
We have to have 3 bottles - soap/water, sanitizer, disinfectant
melilley 06:34 PM 12-02-2013
I answered above in blue
Good point to wash hands before changing a diaper! Many people do not think of doing this! I know it differs from state to state, but a lot of organizations that accredit programs require us to do that!
melilley 06:38 PM 12-02-2013
We also have 3 bottles... Soap water, rinse water, then bleach water. You are supposed to leave bleach water on to air dry or for at least 2 minutes for it to disinfect/sanitize. I don't know how you would do that when changing multiple children. I have had licensing consultants tell me to at least put it on, then wipe it off, but it would be up to each individual person on how they require it to be done.
If we use something other than bleach water, we are supposed to follow the directions to a t when using it to sanitize/disinfect and most require the product to be left on for a certain amount of time.
itlw8 07:48 PM 12-02-2013
Thanks!

I am in MO we need three bottles one marked wash with soapy water one rinse with plain water I change those every few weeks but I doubt I have to ... my sanitize bottle we do not hanve to make fresh daily but we are to test with the test strips keep it away from heat and direct sun and it lasts for a few weeks .. BUT that is because whe have to test it... We get them at restaurant supply stores. You have to follow your states rules.... I know ILL has to mix their bleach solution so strong we would get in trouble for it.
MCC 07:53 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
We also have 3 bottles... Soap water, rinse water, then bleach water. You are supposed to leave bleach water on to air dry or for at least 2 minutes for it to disinfect/sanitize. I don't know how you would do that when changing multiple children. I have had licensing consultants tell me to at least put it on, then wipe it off, but it would be up to each individual person on how they require it to be done.
If we use something other than bleach water, we are supposed to follow the directions to a t when using it to sanitize/disinfect and most require the product to be left on for a certain amount of time.
They suggested they we have two pads, so when doing multiple kids, you can clean/sanitize one, switch them out, and then clean/sanitize that one. By the time your done with one, the other is dry. It's a pain really, but it is nice to have an extra.
melilley 08:15 PM 12-02-2013
They suggested they we have two pads, so when doing multiple kids, you can clean/sanitize one, switch them out, and then clean/sanitize that one. By the time your done with one, the other is dry. It's a pain really, but it is nice to have an extra.
Ummm..I never thought of that...

Makes sense...lol
Play Care 03:15 AM 12-03-2013
Does your state have a regulation handbook? In my state we do, and the licensor essentially just goes down the list. My advice would be to go through it and make sure you are in compliance for the visit. If the handbook says that there has to be x amount of mulch under play sets, make sure there is. If it says parents have to sign paperwork, make sure everyone has, etc. I know it sounds simple, but the one time I waited to get licensing here to ask, they are helpful and will clarify, but it's also a citation Minor, yes, but still.
jessrlee 04:21 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Ummm..I never thought of that...

Makes sense...lol
This is brilliant!! I hate when bleach gets on their clothes from the indented areas! I'm headed to Wallyworld tonight!
Rachel 04:33 AM 12-03-2013
I don't know if this is "allowed" in your state (I'm not even in the US), but I have a changing mat and on top of the changing mat I put a cloth diaper. I make the corners with different colors (one for each kid), and then I just wipe the mat and change the diaper. If the diaper gets dirty it goes in the laundry bucket and next time I take a new one with that child's color. If I had to go through all those steps I would probably just buy one mat for each child.

As for washing little's hands, I use a washcloth dipped in soapy water and rung out until they can stand at the sink (at least supported with 1 hand).
iluvlearning 05:10 AM 12-03-2013
I found these free displays that I posted near my diapering area and sink (for handwashing). My inspector loved them because the followed the Caring for Our Children national standards. Best of all..they are free! Here is the link. I hope it is OK to post it here because they are free.

http://www.geewhizeducation.com/health/
MCC 05:35 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by iluvlearning:
I found these free displays that I posted near my diapering area and sink (for handwashing). My inspector loved them because the followed the Caring for Our Children national standards. Best of all..they are free! Here is the link. I hope it is OK to post it here because they are free.

http://www.geewhizeducation.com/health/

itlw8 07:56 AM 12-03-2013
If we use paper on the pad we do not have to sanitize just toss the paper but I forget to buy it . Paper towels work but I just sanitize. I wipe dry if another child is next other wise air dry Teally the changing pad should not have those little indents germs hide in them
Tags:inspection - first
Reply Up