Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ringworm? Eczema?
mommyneedsadayoff 09:03 AM 10-12-2015
My daughter got a few spots on her skin about 6 weeks ago. They started as scaly patches and then defintely started to look like ringworm (red, white halo around them, red on the outside). We went to the doc and got prescribed an ointment, which we have been applying for almost 5 weeks now. There is two spots on her face, one on her wrist, one on her ankle, and now two more scaly patches are appearing on her chest and butt. The cream seemed to be working, but they would look better and then look worse the very next day. None of them have the ring anymore. They are red, scaly patches of skin, some bigger and the one on her cheek almost looks like a large mosquitio bite and will sometimes look like a pimple (puss underneath). Sorry for the gross details, but I am starting to think it is not ringworm (or maybe turned into something else?) and may be eczema? My husband's family has a few with severe eczema and I am wondering if anyone can offer advice or opinions on this? I am planing to go back to the doc, but just wanted some feedback first! Thank you!
Blackcat31 10:42 AM 10-12-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
My daughter got a few spots on her skin about 6 weeks ago. They started as scaly patches and then defintely started to look like ringworm (red, white halo around them, red on the outside). We went to the doc and got prescribed an ointment, which we have been applying for almost 5 weeks now. There is two spots on her face, one on her wrist, one on her ankle, and now two more scaly patches are appearing on her chest and butt. The cream seemed to be working, but they would look better and then look worse the very next day. None of them have the ring anymore. They are red, scaly patches of skin, some bigger and the one on her cheek almost looks like a large mosquitio bite and will sometimes look like a pimple (puss underneath). Sorry for the gross details, but I am starting to think it is not ringworm (or maybe turned into something else?) and may be eczema? My husband's family has a few with severe eczema and I am wondering if anyone can offer advice or opinions on this? I am planing to go back to the doc, but just wanted some feedback first! Thank you!
I agree that it is no longer sounding like ring worm but as an eczema sufferer myself it doesn't really sound like eczema either.

I'd make another appointment with your Dr and see about getting something maybe stronger. I've heard of a few cases of rig worm needing to be treated with oral medication but I have no experience with ringworm so I am not sure.
jenboo 11:51 AM 10-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree that it is no longer sounding like ring worm but as an eczema sufferer myself it doesn't really sound like eczema either.

I'd make another appointment with your Dr and see about getting something maybe stronger. I've heard of a few cases of rig worm needing to be treated with oral medication but I have no experience with ringworm so I am not sure.
I agree with the bold. My eczema has never looked like that
Crazy8 12:03 PM 10-12-2015
unfortunately we are no strangers to ringworm here with 2 wrestlers in the house. could it be the one with puss got infected? sometimes that happens from scratching. I do find with ringworm the actual ring would fade but the dry/patchy spot would last longer. My son had ringworm of the scalp once and that they always treat with an oral medication. Sounds like maybe she is spreading it by touching it and could be through her sheets and other things she's touching maybe. Its very contagious and spreads easily. I would ask the dr. for an oral medication - they won't always give it but since its been going on so long maybe they will. And wash everything, keep the spots covered. My boys shower with selsun blue as a body wash during wrestling season - its supposed to help. If she uses a shower puff replace it (or have her use washcloths for a while and wash them in hot water after each use).
mommyneedsadayoff 12:37 PM 10-12-2015
Thank you for all the advice! I have an appointment for tomorrow, so hopefully an oral medication will do the ttrick! I am sick of this stuff!
stephanie 11:31 AM 10-13-2015
Earlier this summer I was convinced I had ringworm (red scaly ring, whiter in the middle) because I'd been at a family reunion at a campground interacting with some cats that may have had ringworm (I found out later), and 10+ other family members developed ringworm post-reunion.

OTC antifungal cream didn't work after 4-5 weeks, and when I went to my regularly scheduled dermatologist appointment it turns out to be eczema! (I've had occasional eczema flareups since first being diagnosed about 10 years ago).

I do agree that your dd's spots don't seem like they're in the places eczema usually appears, but I thought I'd chime in since I recently had a similar experience where it turned out to be eczema. You never know I guess.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:43 AM 10-13-2015
Update! Stephanie-you are right on the money! It is articular (sp?) eczema, which is basically eczema that shows up in circles all over the body and not necessarily in the more common spots, like behind the knees and whatnot. She got a steriod cream and an antibiotic cream, because the rash on her face is some sort of batcerial rash that I guess can be common in young kids. It looks like an allergic reaction, but he said it will clear up with the antibiotics. We go back in two weeks to see if it is all helping.

For those of you with eczema, should I start using the free and clear stuff when it comes to detergents, lotions, body wash, ect? What can be a common thing that leads to a break out? Thank you for any advice!
sharlan 11:51 AM 10-13-2015
Weather changes always brings out my grandson's eczema.
Blackcat31 11:53 AM 10-13-2015
For those of you with eczema, should I start using the free and clear stuff when it comes to detergents, lotions, body wash, ect? What can be a common thing that leads to a break out? Thank you for any advice!
For me personally, anything with fragrance irritates my skin.

This includes tissues with fragrance as well as soaps and lotions.

As for internally, I was advised to limit intake of citrus...so I had to cut back on the orange juice and grapefruits I'd been eating for breakfast. I also found a lot of relief after I stopped drinking milk.

I am sure it's different for everyone as eczema is a lot like allergies...
One size (remedy) does not fit all.
Baby Beluga 12:52 PM 10-13-2015

My DD has eczema, we use All free and clear laundry soap with no fabric softener and vanicream lotion.

She will break out if we use scented laundry detergents, miss a day of using lotion or when she eats dairy.
Unregistered 01:49 PM 10-13-2015
This stuff works SO good!
http://www.amazon.com/Grandpas-Soap-.../dp/B002LMN7B4

Bagbalm too!
http://www.amazon.com/Bag-Balm-80z-8...ywords=Bagbalm
lizzlee 05:07 PM 10-14-2015
Two of my kids have allergy related eczema. We use the free and clear detergent and avoid whatever seems to aggravate it...for one child it's dairy and for the other it's anything with added fragrances. Both of my eczema sufferers respond well to oatmeal baths and the doctor has told me not to bathe them every day, especially in cold weather. The Aveeno eczema cream also works well for us.
Tags:eczema, ringworm
Reply Up