Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>19-1/2 month old being held back
JScott 07:31 AM 05-13-2009
My grandson is being "held" in the 12-17 month olf class although 2 openings have been created in the 18-2 year old class so that twins who are younger than my grandson can be "moved" up and not seperated. I feel that the director is not doing what is best for my grandson's development. She has stated that "the twins' parent's wishes must be honored to not split the twins up" and therefore my grandson must wait another month of so before he can be moved to the older toddler class. Meanwhile he is with children that still sleep in cribs, do not talk, and I feel his social delevopment is being delayed. He is large for his age and I feel his needs need to be considered just as much as the twins. His parents and I are very frustrated and do not know what to do except look for another daycare. The problems with a new location is his having to adjust to a new place, routine, personnel, etc. Does anyone have any advice?
lilbiddapopcorn 10:43 PM 05-19-2009
You know honestly, I think removing him in this situation might be a little rash. Were the twins there before your grandson? Maybe that's why they were moved first. Whatever the reason, unless the director has given you any reason in the past not to trust their decision, they probably just made a judgement call based on what they know and what they see. I'm not saying your grandson didn't deserve to move to the next classroom as much as these twins but in the long run, this seems like a small thing that's been turned into a big one.

Besides, it's a month's wait, and let's be honest - that's not going to affect your grandson's development. I think waiting a month isn't bad enough to remove your grandson...especially if he's comfortable and used to the place he's in now.
mac60 06:15 AM 05-20-2009
Originally Posted by lilbiddapopcorn:
You know honestly, I think removing him in this situation might be a little rash. Were the twins there before your grandson? Maybe that's why they were moved first. Whatever the reason, unless the director has given you any reason in the past not to trust their decision, they probably just made a judgement call based on what they know and what they see. I'm not saying your grandson didn't deserve to move to the next classroom as much as these twins but in the long run, this seems like a small thing that's been turned into a big one.

Besides, it's a month's wait, and let's be honest - that's not going to affect your grandson's development. I think waiting a month isn't bad enough to remove your grandson...especially if he's comfortable and used to the place he's in now.

Very well said.
Reply Up