Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice About Care.com
Former Teacher 07:03 PM 08-05-2010
As you may have known from my posts, my husband works nights. I work days. Sadly he works most weekends while I have the weekends off. No wonder our marriage is perfect! I have been looking for a part time job mainly for money and because I am so bored since DH is sleeping.

I have been a member of care.com for well over a year. Last year I found work for man as a nanny for himself and 2 kids. He contacted me first and we talked on the phone. It was great. He then requested a background check. Of course I had no problem doing that. I was later employed by him however was let go because that was when the economy was REALLY bad.

My question is this. I have been sending emails to these families offering my services. Several no response. Several were nice. However I just received an email from care.com stating that so and so wants a background check done on me.

I normally wouldn't have a problem with it. However I have had NO communication with this woman, other than the fact that I emailed her first about her ad. I am kinda of leery.

I tried to go back and see if I can pull up her ad again and it wouldn't let me. There are several with her name (it's a common name). Like I said, I am very leery. What would you do in this situation?

Thanks Ladies!
Crystal 08:15 PM 08-05-2010
I would probably go with my gut feeling. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

On the other hand, you could ask that you have a telephone conversation with her prior to authorizing a background check. If she's a fraud, you won't hear back
momofboys 08:27 PM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
As you may have known from my posts, my husband works nights. I work days. Sadly he works most weekends while I have the weekends off. No wonder our marriage is perfect! I have been looking for a part time job mainly for money and because I am so bored since DH is sleeping.

I have been a member of care.com for well over a year. Last year I found work for man as a nanny for himself and 2 kids. He contacted me first and we talked on the phone. It was great. He then requested a background check. Of course I had no problem doing that. I was later employed by him however was let go because that was when the economy was REALLY bad.

My question is this. I have been sending emails to these families offering my services. Several no response. Several were nice. However I just received an email from care.com stating that so and so wants a background check done on me.

I normally wouldn't have a problem with it. However I have had NO communication with this woman, other than the fact that I emailed her first about her ad. I am kinda of leery.

I tried to go back and see if I can pull up her ad again and it wouldn't let me. There are several with her name (it's a common name). Like I said, I am very leery. What would you do in this situation?

Thanks Ladies!
I can see why you would be leery. But maybe the woman wants to make sure your record is clear before contacting you. It makes sense to make sure you have no record first. Who would want to find that out after the fact. One thing to keep in mind also is on care.com you have to pay extra (or upgrade) to even view it even if you have made it accessible to them (your record). My newest client I met that way & she was unable to view my record unless she upgraded her account. I was able to show her paper copies I have. I guess my point is what do you have to lose. The record only says "We find no record" or it will list the issues. There were no privacy stats on my record through them. I would allow her to view it & see what happens.
Abigail 09:50 PM 08-05-2010
I use that site on a regular basis and was in the same situation! I was let go in May from a housekeeping job that paid VERY WELL because the person I worked for had a budget cut. I will never let them check my background unless they've communicated with me. The family I worked for I actually spoke to on the phone before I allowed them to do a background check. I told them I didn't know how it worked and was uneasy about trying something new online, but it got me the job and a sense of security!

Remember, anyone can post anything on there so be careful.
momofboys 04:25 AM 08-06-2010
I guess my point is the background report says very little. I can understand not wanting just anyone to see it but it does not list your address, social # or anything like that. It does list my last name though & I guess that would be one reason to be concerned b/c unless you have a common last name (I do) they could easily figure out your home. For that reason alone it could be a cause for concern. This is what mine says:

Social Security Number Verification Verified on 07/04/2010

National Criminal Records Search
180+ million conviction records searched No Cases Found as of 07/04/2010
Tags:care.com
Reply Up