Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just a Vent
mindy2137 11:55 AM 01-21-2010
Disclaimer: I may just be a little hormonal but I don't think I'm being irrational.

Okay, so about 2 months ago, a mom, we'll call her C's mom, T, showed up at my house with C (he's two and half) with a bag full of socks, sweat pants, and undies, about 5 pairs of each and told me we were potty training and he's wearing undies and hopefully those clothes would be sufficient to last through the day!

So, I start trying to potty train him. And he didn't do too bad, but still accidents. I wipe pee and poop up (one time he tried to dump his poop in the sink in the bathroom and got it everywhere, I almost through up!). He would pee on my floor and I clean it up. You know the routine. Well, eventually he got it and he is now potty trained! Yay.

Through an accident of sorts, T found out I'm pregnant. Not that I was trying to keep it from her or anyone, I just don't know all my plans regarding maternity leave and what I'm doing so I was putting off telling them until I had a more specific plan. And it's fine that she knows, I just explain that I'm still in the planning stages for maternity leave and everything that will involve.

Tuesday night, T calls me and says that it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm pg (which I don't think it does specifically) but that she has had C on a waiting list at a preschool and a spot has opened up so he'll be starting there Feb 8th. And she's giving me her two week notice. She has H (C's older sis) on the waiting list too but she hasn't got in. I'll still watch H though until a spot opens up. And that this 'just seems to be great timing with you being pregnant and all and him being potty trained'.

Bull crap. I call the preschool provider whom I'm friends with and she says he is not in the preschool, so he's just going to the daycare, he's not old enough for preschool. AND T just saw her at the store a few nights ago and asked if they had any openings and she told T to call the daycare and speak with someone else as she's not sure. My friend said she saw a note on the desk Tuesday that had called to enroll C and put H on the waiting list. Okay, so T lied to me.

What's the big deal? Now, I don't have some rule that states if I potty train a child they have to stay here in my daycare. And I know I didn't do it by myself, she followed through at home, but it's impossible to potty train him if I didn't work at it. She never, ever, not once told me thank you. And it just irritates me. I know, I know she was waiting for him to get potty trained so she could take him over there. I know it. And it's fine. But I think it was rude and it shows no appreciation for what I've done. And she lied. And funny thing is, my sister will be C's teacher over at that daycare! hahaha So, I know for sure he wasn't on the waiting list. I just wish she would have told me.

Sorry this is so long. It's just a rant. Okay, I'm done.
mac60 12:20 PM 01-21-2010
I would NEVER allow a child to be potty trained in my dc home without pullups and have them peeing all over in my home. If the child goes thru 5 outfits in one day, he is not ready to be put in underwear especially at daycare. I honestly find it gross to hear when people say the dc kids peed here and there in their home, yuck, this is my families home.....not a barn.
There my rant is done too.

Yea, sorry you did the work and now someone else gets the money. Grr, that is why I have in my handbook that once the parents have worked with the child and they understand the concept of potty and can and will do it, then I will work on it here at dc. I also state that 2 weeks of no accidents and coming to tell me they need to potty on their own, without me asking, before they can go to panties. No pee on my floors or furniture.
momma2girls 01:48 PM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I would NEVER allow a child to be potty trained in my dc home without pullups and have them peeing all over in my home. If the child goes thru 5 outfits in one day, he is not ready to be put in underwear especially at daycare. I honestly find it gross to hear when people say the dc kids peed here and there in their home, yuck, this is my families home.....not a barn.
There my rant is done too.

Yea, sorry you did the work and now someone else gets the money. Grr, that is why I have in my handbook that once the parents have worked with the child and they understand the concept of potty and can and will do it, then I will work on it here at dc. I also state that 2 weeks of no accidents and coming to tell me they need to potty on their own, without me asking, before they can go to panties. No pee on my floors or furniture.
I am totally with you here!!! I have the same thing said in my contract.
momofboys 02:56 PM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by mindy2137:
Disclaimer: I may just be a little hormonal but I don't think I'm being irrational.

Okay, so about 2 months ago, a mom, we'll call her C's mom, T, showed up at my house with C (he's two and half) with a bag full of socks, sweat pants, and undies, about 5 pairs of each and told me we were potty training and he's wearing undies and hopefully those clothes would be sufficient to last through the day!

So, I start trying to potty train him. And he didn't do too bad, but still accidents. I wipe pee and poop up (one time he tried to dump his poop in the sink in the bathroom and got it everywhere, I almost through up!). He would pee on my floor and I clean it up. You know the routine. Well, eventually he got it and he is now potty trained! Yay.

Through an accident of sorts, T found out I'm pregnant. Not that I was trying to keep it from her or anyone, I just don't know all my plans regarding maternity leave and what I'm doing so I was putting off telling them until I had a more specific plan. And it's fine that she knows, I just explain that I'm still in the planning stages for maternity leave and everything that will involve.

Tuesday night, T calls me and says that it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm pg (which I don't think it does specifically) but that she has had C on a waiting list at a preschool and a spot has opened up so he'll be starting there Feb 8th. And she's giving me her two week notice. She has H (C's older sis) on the waiting list too but she hasn't got in. I'll still watch H though until a spot opens up. And that this 'just seems to be great timing with you being pregnant and all and him being potty trained'.

Bull crap. I call the preschool provider whom I'm friends with and she says he is not in the preschool, so he's just going to the daycare, he's not old enough for preschool. AND T just saw her at the store a few nights ago and asked if they had any openings and she told T to call the daycare and speak with someone else as she's not sure. My friend said she saw a note on the desk Tuesday that had called to enroll C and put H on the waiting list. Okay, so T lied to me.

What's the big deal? Now, I don't have some rule that states if I potty train a child they have to stay here in my daycare. And I know I didn't do it by myself, she followed through at home, but it's impossible to potty train him if I didn't work at it. She never, ever, not once told me thank you. And it just irritates me. I know, I know she was waiting for him to get potty trained so she could take him over there. I know it. And it's fine. But I think it was rude and it shows no appreciation for what I've done. And she lied. And funny thing is, my sister will be C's teacher over at that daycare! hahaha So, I know for sure he wasn't on the waiting list. I just wish she would have told me.

If it were me I would let her know that you know that she lied, at least indirectly. I'd probably mention that your sis teaches there & will be his DAYCARE teacher with STRONG emphasis on the daycare part.
momofboys 02:56 PM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by mindy2137:

If it were me I would let her know that you know that she lied, at least indirectly. I'd probably mention that your sis teaches there & will be his DAYCARE teacher with STRONG emphasis on the daycare part.
mindy2137 03:19 PM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I'd probably mention that your sis teaches there & will be his DAYCARE teacher with STRONG emphasis on the daycare part.
Oh, I am

I don't know how to multi-quote but, I don't have it in my contract about the potty training, I need to, but I do have hardwoods so, it does just puddle instead of soak. I'm looking at the bright side! Live and learn.

Oh, I did have one dad who did the same thing with his little girl. And he said, she's in a pull-up because I didn't want her to pee in my car, I said, and I'm not kidding, "Oh, so it's okay to pee in my house, but not your car!" He was speechless. Speechless.

I was working with a little girl because her parents asked me to, then she had a three day weekend and when I asked how she did with the potty they said they didn't work on it, I was pissed. I instantly quit taking her. I'm learning. I am.
tenderhearts 03:37 PM 01-21-2010
In my contract is states they need to start at home and making some progress before I start here and pull ups are required. However if they say we're starting it and I feel they are ready I'm all over it WITH pull ups. I have an almost 3 yr old (next week 3) that is ready and dad talked about it but then stopped because their son wont wear the pull ups, I don't get that, ok make him, make it fun. So no potty training. I have been asking him and taking him potty here but it seems useless when I know they aren't doing anything at home consistently. Not to mention he's not wearing pull ups and it's a pain in the #$$ to take the diaper off put it back on, time consuming.
wejo928 05:40 AM 01-22-2010
I have a MOm whos daughter will be 3 in July. She told me she is gonna start sending her in unddies to start potty training. She does nto want pull-ups on her cause she will not learn.
She is not working on it at home cause she has to many men there so can nto do it.
It is Mom, her BF, the 2 yr old girl, 7 month old son & a uncle.
I told her she is not gonna pee all over my funiture. I do have the waterproof pads but still it puddles on floor or carpet when they pee standing up. So I bought the training pants w plastic covers. She asked if I bought her some for home too.
I was like no. She comes in a diapers, and will wear 1 for nap and to go home. If she wants her to come home in them then send her in them.

She is not trying at home so I am supose to do it all.

This is the mom who sends the child w a bag of chips or lollipop for breakfast.

I am gonna work with her but a child is ready when she is ready.
I tried explaining it would go faster & better if she takes her in w her and puts her on a potty while mom is on the hopper. I can nto do that. So she needs to show her sitting is fun.

Heck I love it. It is the only little breaks I get during the day all to myself. lol.
Carole's Daycare 08:46 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by wejo928:
Heck I love it. It is the only little breaks I get during the day all to myself. lol.
Too funny! I keep my magazine rack in there- its the only chance I have too!

That whole deal would make me mad too. My policy addresses potty training, but may get tweaked. I have had parents say they couldn't afford pull ups. Well, in place of diapers if they're actually using the potty most of the time it should be cheaper than diapers. I won't do underwear until 2 weeks w/ no accidents in pull ups. I might change the policy to have a minimum age of two, though. Currently i have a 3 yr old that came to me not potty trained, but ready, and her 18 month old sister. The parents, who just got the kids after they've been in foster care, insist on training them together, though the younger one is clearly not ready. She cant disrobe without help, she can not and does not verbalize when she needs to go. I am currently trying to convince the parents (who just had a new baby) that its Ok to get the older sister trained first, with all the benefits and rewards of being the big sister, rather than have them both continue to fail, fighting over who can get the most "baby" attention. ok vent done lol
Unregistered-misol 09:21 AM 01-25-2010
Wow, 18 months is very young to truly start potty training. Maybe introducing her to the potty, or letting her watch the big kids go is acceptable but to expect to be actively training a child that young is a bit much to ask - especially from a provider. Adding a minimum age of 2 sounds like a good idea. My policy also state that the parents must have already started potty training the child at home and that I will support their efforts while the child is in my care.
Tags:maternity leave, potty training, pregnant
Reply Up