Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Story Daycare
gumdrops 11:55 AM 01-07-2019
I'm still exploring my options of opening a new Daycare Center. One option is to put up a barn/detached garage on our property. It would be 2 stories.

It would make more sense in my opinion to have the infants and young toddlers upstairs. Parents can carry them up and down to reduce risk of falling, preschool kids can jump around etc. on the bottom floor without disturbing the infants (vs them being on the second floor above them), I would need less plumbing up there with only a few kids using the restroom, etc.

My only concern is if there would be a fire or some sort of emergency. Preschool kids could use the stairs and get out quickly vs infants will need carried and a few trips up and down the stairs would be necessary to get them all out. The ratio is 1:6. What are your thoughts?
hwichlaz 11:57 AM 01-07-2019
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
I'm still exploring my options of opening a new Daycare Center. One option is to put up a barn/detached garage on our property. It would be 2 stories.

It would make more sense in my opinion to have the infants and young toddlers upstairs. Parents can carry them up and down to reduce risk of falling, preschool kids can jump around etc. on the bottom floor without disturbing the infants (vs them being on the second floor above them), I would need less plumbing up there with only a few kids using the restroom, etc.

My only concern is if there would be a fire or some sort of emergency. Preschool kids could use the stairs and get out quickly vs infants will need carried and a few trips up and down the stairs would be necessary to get them all out. The ratio is 1:6. What are your thoughts?
What about a ramp of some kind and evac cribs?
Rockgirl 12:08 PM 01-07-2019

I would check your state’s licensing regulations before considering it. That wouldn’t be allowed in my state.
Cat Herder 12:36 PM 01-07-2019
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I would check your state’s licensing regulations before considering it. That wouldn’t be allowed in my state.
Agreed. Same here.

All must be on the same floor in the main home. No outbuildings. They are really strict about this because of those warehousing kids.
LittleExplorers 01:09 PM 01-07-2019

We can do split levels in MN. We can only had 3 under 2. You would grab and go in an emergency. I have my daycare in my basement and if needed would open my egress and out we go.
flying_babyb 05:36 PM 01-07-2019
Worked at a 2 story daycare. Was SCARY! they had no plan in place. The kids played downstairs, slept upstairs. There was a teacher up there MOST of the time. I would be afraid of fire. I did work at another 2 story center, they had a ramp. The infants, middle infants and school agers were all on the first floor. On the lower level was 2s,3s, 2.5s and school agers. This center was run better.

I would look into a ramp
Tags:stairs, upstairs, warehousing
Reply Up