Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Asking to go to the bathroom all the time?
Unregistered 07:33 AM 04-01-2015
I have a dcb 2 1/2 that they started to potty train at home, I let him sit when we go potty before snack, before outside, lunch, after nap. But he asks to go every 5-10 even if he's already gone. (He doesn't do anything at the potty other then sit and touch himself. I've been telling him he can wait till bathroom time but I know mom would be upset if I wasn't letting him go every time he asked. What would you do? With 5 other kids I don't have the time to take him every 5-10 mins for 10-15 mins at a time. It's driving me insane.
Gemma 07:58 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
. I've been telling him he can wait till bathroom time but I know mom would be upset if I wasn't letting him go every time he asked. .
Sorry but if he "just went", mom can be upset all she wants, I would not drop all the other kids to play this game!

At the same time, I wouldn't want to discourage him so , I wouldn't make him wait till bathroom time, he might go before then!...I would tell him something like :" we just went, lets wait a few minutes!" ....then maybe take him again within an hour or so, if he can't go still, the next time I'd wait longer before taking him to try again.

ETA sorry I can't type
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 04-01-2015
I have a dcb 2 1/2 that they started to potty train at home, I let him sit when we go potty before snack, before outside, lunch, after nap. But he asks to go every 5-10 even if he's already gone. (He doesn't do anything at the potty other then sit and touch himself. I've been telling him he can wait till bathroom time but I know mom would be upset if I wasn't letting him go every time he asked. What would you do? With 5 other kids I don't have the time to take him every 5-10 mins for 10-15 mins at a time. It's driving me insane.
If he is needing to be taken to the bathroom, he isn't trained in my book.

I don't have the time or ability to take a 2.5 yr old to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes.

If he just went and you know he did, there is nothing wrong with saying no.

If mom gets upset, call her to come take him every 15 minutes and she can see how time consuming and non-productive that behavior is.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:29 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I don't have the time or ability to take a 2.5 yr old to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes.

If mom gets upset, call her to come take him every 15 minutes and she can see how time consuming and non-productive that behavior is.

It is not possible to do what your DCM expects when caring for a large group of children. It is simply not possible. If it were me, I would just tell DCB when he asked, "Okay, I will take you in a few minutes just as soon as I can," over and over, and take him when I could. Part of potty-training is learning how to hold it.
Unregistered 09:00 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

He never goes in the potty though, always always has wet diaper. I swear he just wants to play with himself lol
Martha Stewart 09:02 AM 04-01-2015
I have a dcm right now who excitedly tells me that dcb has gone potty every morning before she drops him off, I smile and tell her that is wonderful. I asked if he is asking to go potty or if she is putting him on the potty, and she's all "of course i have to put him there" and I respond with "when he is going on his own, let me know and we can use underwear here"

Well, they are in there 2 week term window right now and today she announced that his new daycare center (not home) is going to work on taking him potty every 20-30 minutes, and I told her that was wonderful that they are trained to do that.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:16 AM 04-01-2015
He never goes in the potty though, always always has wet diaper. I swear he just wants to play with himself lol
If he is in a diaper, he is not potty trained. I wouldn't even be taking him to the potty. Tell mom he is not ready and you will be waiting to work on potty training when you feel he is ready. He should be able to know he needs to go, gets his pants down, get on the potty, wipe, get dressed, wash hands and all with very little help from you (possible help with wiping and buttoning pants and such). Until then, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of potty training.
284878 05:11 AM 04-02-2015
I was thinking that. He is not going to go but to play with himself.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 04-02-2015
Then he is not trained at all.

I'd just start saying no.

Encourage him to tell his mom. Once she makes a significant amount of progress in training him, then I would agree to step in and join the process but not until he has remained dry for at least 75% of the time.

Until that point, it's just time consuming and unnecessary.
Reply Up