Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>12 Month Old Sleep Issue
cheerfuldom 09:57 AM 08-16-2011
I have a part timer (I know, I know....) that has NO structure whatsoever at home. There is nothing I can do about that. Sadly, most of the time this little girl is tired but shows it by crying, clinging and whatnot (not readily falling asleep). When her mom gets here, I always ask when she woke up that morning and then put the child down for a nap 3 hours from when she woke up. Her wake up time varies greatly at home, again, nothing I can do about that. Do you think that 3 hours from wake up to first nap is okay? The thing is that the parents give me a schedule a month in advance but the days and hours vary all over the place. This is fine because I don't mind having one family with that sort of flexibility and it is VERY hard to find kids right now. I am basically all on my own here trying to figure out what works for her at daycare because mom doesn't have a clue. This little girl is only on one nap at home that is one hour or less (totally not enough!) so when she comes here, sometimes she will just crash for four hours and sometimes she will fight and struggle even though I know she is tired. The good thing though is that her parents are really great as far as paying and communicating, the little girl plays well with others and seems fine to just be going here and there at random.
MommyMuffin 10:21 AM 08-16-2011
I have somewhat of the same issue.

I put him down when the others go down. He only sleeps for about 30 minutes though. I have no real advice except to talk to parents about a more consistent schedule at home.

The problem I see is..these 12 month olds will soon be 13 mo, 14, 15, 16...2 years old and then what am I going to do with a 2 yr old who wont sleep??

Never Never again will I do a PT infant!!!
AnneCordelia 10:23 AM 08-16-2011
Oy....

I have a whole bunch of 12mos, including one of my own. They all nap asap when they arrive in the morning. Usually within 2 hours of waking up...no more than 3 hours. Our routine here is nap at 8-9:30am (everyone up at 6 here) and nap from 12-3.
Meyou 10:27 AM 08-16-2011
I don't think I have ever had a 12 month old that could last 3 hours in the morning. I normally put them down 2 hours or less after waking up for an hour or so. They all go back down at naptime.

Could she be sleep deprived?
cheerfuldom 11:04 AM 08-16-2011
maybe I am waiting too long....thanks for the feedback. she is definitely sleep deprived. the first nap she ever took here was over 2 hours and the parents about passed out from shock but to me, a 2 hour nap is very healthy and thats what every other kid i know does if given the chance. i dont know what they do with her at home besides the fact that there is no schedule....i guess they just wait till she passes out somewhere?
Meyou 11:22 AM 08-16-2011
My 14 month old I have now literally goes from dad's arms to bed in the morning here at 8:30. She gets up at 7am. She is sooo cranky if I even set her down in the playroom. She gets up between 930 and 10am and is a different child. But the nasties start again like clockwork at 1230 and back to bed she goes.

I have a friend with no schedule kids and they do pass out anywhere and everywhere. They also stay up until midnight and sleep until 1pm. They're 4 and 5.
mema 12:05 PM 08-16-2011
I have no advice for you, but am watching for advice. I have a 13mon old that will not sleep longer than 30min ALL DAY. Mom says he doesn't ever nap at home. He goes to bed around 9pm and gets up at 530am. That isn't even enough for some adults let alone a 1 yr old.
Tags:1 year old, sleep - issues
Reply Up