Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Rules Listed in My Handbook
tinytotzdaycare 04:06 PM 10-02-2009
I noticed a posting on a parent taking away a bottle at dc but not a home.

Here are my rules...period. Everyone gets this in the handbook and I tell them in person during the tour....

at 1 year of age in my childcare program there are NO BINKIES AND NO BOTTLES.................period. (unless medically necessary of course)
This is a rule I have had for years and everyone follows it.

I have parents bring their child with a binkie but they know before they come into my home to put it thier pocket. Even the kiddos sometimes come in and hand them to me to give to mom...LOL! They know my rule and it makes mom and dads job easier when they (parents) get up the courage to do it as well...LOL!

We also start our kiddos at the table at 18 months with regular cups..no sippys. Yes we have a lot of spills the first week but after that its great!!
ConcernedMotherof2 09:43 AM 10-07-2009
Having providers like you is how I got through those first few years of firsts as a first-time mom So, on behalf of all stressed out moms who need guidance on how to get through those important first transitions of early parenthood--THANK YOU!
tinytotzdaycare 09:08 PM 10-08-2009
Your very welcome! I think sometimes its hard as a provider to stand your ground, but there are ways to do it tactfully and in all honesty I know that my parents THANK me for doing the things they have trouble doing sometimes..LOL! We are a team and we co-parent!! LOL!

I remember being a first time mom, my provider was a great help for all those NO NO's! LOL! Live, Learn, and work together for happy, healthy kids!
sarahtheresa02 10:38 AM 10-10-2009
I have two little girls. One is just barely 2 and the other is closer to 3. They both come with "binkies" attached to them. From day one I took them off of the girls in front of their parents. Both sets of parents looked at me as if I had stabbed their children.

Now... a week later the 3 year old walks in and immediately gives it to me and says "I'm a big girl". Her mom was shocked. But as soon as her mom picks her up she screams for her binkie and "bobble" (YES, SHE'S 3 AND HER MOM STILL GIVES HER A BOTTLE) and her mom sticks it in her mouth to shut her up. Once the 2 year old walks in the door her binkie, which is attached to her shirt, is removed. She no longer cares. But again is given it as soon as her parents arrive. It's funny how parents allow them to regress so quickly and undo all that you are working on.
tinytotzdaycare 09:59 AM 10-11-2009
Originally Posted by sarahtheresa02:
I have two little girls. One is just barely 2 and the other is closer to 3. They both come with "binkies" attached to them. From day one I took them off of the girls in front of their parents. Both sets of parents looked at me as if I had stabbed their children.

Now... a week later the 3 year old walks in and immediately gives it to me and says "I'm a big girl". Her mom was shocked. But as soon as her mom picks her up she screams for her binkie and "bobble" (YES, SHE'S 3 AND HER MOM STILL GIVES HER A BOTTLE) and her mom sticks it in her mouth to shut her up. Once the 2 year old walks in the door her binkie, which is attached to her shirt, is removed. She no longer cares. But again is given it as soon as her parents arrive. It's funny how parents allow them to regress so quickly and undo all that you are working on.

I would give them information on the dental/speech aspects of having a binkie and bottle at 3!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS LAZINESS!! The parents just dont want to listen to a bit of whining....and I commend you for standing up to them...WAY TO GO!!
Chickenhauler 10:29 PM 10-11-2009
Originally Posted by sarahtheresa02:

WOW, a bottle at 3?

Then again, not really all that surprising in this modern day of "TV Raising Kids".....whatever's easiest, and the hell with the long term outcome.
melissa ann 03:04 PM 10-12-2009
I have an almost 4 yr old dcb who wears diapers at night. In the morning grandpa just puts underwear over the diaper w/otaking it off. Yes, it's very heavy. The boy knows no diapers. So as soon as he comes in, if he has a diaper on, he walks straight to the bathroom and takes it off. Grandpa recently got the message. So the boy has been coming in w/just his undies.
tinytotzdaycare 04:10 PM 10-12-2009
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I have an almost 4 yr old dcb who wears diapers at night. In the morning grandpa just puts underwear over the diaper w/otaking it off. Yes, it's very heavy. The boy knows no diapers. So as soon as he comes in, if he has a diaper on, he walks straight to the bathroom and takes it off. Grandpa recently got the message. So the boy has been coming in w/just his undies.

FUNNY!!!!!!!! Kids always catch on BEFORE the parents!! HA HA!
Former Teacher 04:21 PM 10-12-2009
That is just pure laziness if you ask me. When my Goddaughter was 5 (yes 5!) she too was also in diapers. She, like your dcb, had a grandfather who would just slap a diaper on her and wouldn't take her potty. Until I took control.

She started to come to my center. Thinking that maybe because she was at "school" her mother would put panties on her (her mother also worked with me.) Well no she didn't. She was there for 2 days and I noticed when we lined up she was walking very funny. Kinda like a John Wayne walk, if you know what I mean. In her family history there have been hip problems and I thought maybe something happened.

I immediately took Rita to her mother. Her mother bent down and we talked and it was because of the diaper. There were to small and she couldn't walk. I FIRMLY told Rita that if she wanted to come with me and be in my school she can NOT wear diapers. I basically told her that if she can't potty she can't be in my room (I was the preschool teacher as well at the time). I told her other things but what I said sunk in overnight because the next day, she was in panties and she was completely potty trained. I mean, she had the occasional accident, but in my eyes she was indeed potty trained.

Some parents nowadays IMO are lazy. Not all of course but some. When I started my daycare life back in 1991, a child in my center was potty trained by 2 -2 1/2 years old the latest. I have mixed feelings on this subject matter. However I also believe parents nowadays that are lazy just push the potty training to the caregiver, and never followup at home. Now you are lucky you get a child trained by 3 years old.

As I said I have mixed feelings on this subject, I can go on and on and on
Chickenhauler 05:06 PM 10-12-2009
Does grandpa still ride the short bus?

Cuz maybe I'm mean, but he sounds a bit mentally incompetent.
melissa ann 09:33 AM 10-15-2009
Quoted by fomer teacher
When I started my daycare life back in 1991, a child in my center was potty trained by 2 -2 1/2 years old the latest. I have mixed feelings on this subject matter. However I also believe parents nowadays that are lazy just push the potty training to the caregiver, and never followup at home. Now you are lucky you get a child trained by 3 years old.

My daughter was almost 3 when she was potty trained. She was 2 1/2 when I had a baby. She was going to the bathroom occasionally at 2 1/2 but once the baby came that went out the window. About 2 months before she turned 3 she was going to the bathroom. My son is 2 1/2 now, and he has no interest in the potty. When we are home, I have him w/out a diaper but he will hold it for several hours until I put a diaper back on. Ihave a little potty downstairs for him and we watch a learning to use the potty video.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old dcg who right after she turned 2 has been in underwear and always uses the bathroom. Even during nap time she stays dry.
Now, we know how her almost 4 yr old cousin is doing. Not good at all. People have told me that it's easier getting girls to use the potty then boys. I don't know. Any pointers for my son would be very welcomed. He's in size 6 diapers and they are a tad small for him. He's a big boy. Weighing in at 10 lbs 12 oz at birth and is over 30 lbs now.
Chickenhauler 12:42 AM 10-18-2009
Quoted by fomer teacher
When I started my daycare life back in 1991, a child in my center was potty trained by 2 -2 1/2 years old the latest. I have mixed feelings on this subject matter. However I also believe parents nowadays that are lazy just push the potty training to the caregiver, and never followup at home. Now you are lucky you get a child trained by 3 years old.

My daughter was almost 3 when she was potty trained. She was 2 1/2 when I had a baby. She was going to the bathroom occasionally at 2 1/2 but once the baby came that went out the window. About 2 months before she turned 3 she was going to the bathroom. My son is 2 1/2 now, and he has no interest in the potty. When we are home, I have him w/out a diaper but he will hold it for several hours until I put a diaper back on. Ihave a little potty downstairs for him and we watch a learning to use the potty video.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old dcg who right after she turned 2 has been in underwear and always uses the bathroom. Even during nap time she stays dry.
Now, we know how her almost 4 yr old cousin is doing. Not good at all. People have told me that it's easier getting girls to use the potty then boys. I don't know. Any pointers for my son would be very welcomed. He's in size 6 diapers and they are a tad small for him. He's a big boy. Weighing in at 10 lbs 12 oz at birth and is over 30 lbs now.
I'll give you a tip with boys-they like something to aim at.

Toss some Cheerios (or something similar that floats) into the toilet. Boys will be in there trying to "sink the ships" every 15 minutes.
tymaboy 08:04 AM 10-18-2009
I think it is the parents & how much work they want to put into it. When my DS was young he was potty trained shortly after he turned 2. At the time I worked 2 jobs but I was still able to train him & it did not take very long. My SIL trained her little one (maybe 2 1/2) in 1 weeks time. She gave her DD an incentive that she could go see her Uncle & go swimming with him too.
melissa ann 12:22 PM 10-18-2009
I've been told to potty train my son sitting down. The reason being, is that he might get confused when he has to pee or a bm. However, I'm willing to try anything.
Chickenhauler 01:20 PM 10-18-2009
I've been told to potty train my son sitting down. The reason being, is that he might get confused when he has to pee or a bm. However, I'm willing to try anything.
We tried the sitting down method for a while, and had to constantly remind him to "guide" himself, or there would be more pee on the floor than in the bowl.
Tags:bathroom, guide, handbook, pee, rules, toilet train
Reply Up