Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Read My Letter And Let Me Know What You Think...
MrsB 05:50 AM 03-13-2012
So most of my most recent enrollies, have come from center care and they seem to have a more difficult time making the transition to contracted hours. That fact combined with nice weather, and the time change, so far this week has been the week of early drop offs, late arrivals, and oh hey I have errands to do this week so my wife will pick up. (Wife gets off 1/2 later than husband). I have written a letter to go out to all parents. Read and give me input please.

I have attached copies of your contracted hours. Please review them and make sure that it still meets your needs. Weekly rates are set based upon your specific contracted hours, not my open and closing hours. If your current contracted hours no longer meet your needs, please discuss with me so we can change them. Typically your rate will go up $5 for each additional 15 minutes of time you require. If you need additional time that is not permanent, please verify with me FIRST. Please do not assume that since I normally have kids that arrive earlier than your normal time, or kids that stay later than your normal time, that I can always meet your need.

According to state regulations, I have a set number of kids that can be in care at one time. I always try to be accommodating to people’s schedules but going beyond your contracted hours, may put me over ratio. To maximize my profits I am always trying to fill my open hours. So if you are contracted to start at 9am, I may fill the spot with a school-aged child that leaves before 9am for school. Visa versa, if you are contracted to pick up at 4pm, I may fill the spot with a school-aged child that gets off the bus at 4:30. If you only come on Tuesdays and Thursdays I will fill the slot with a family that needs Mon, Wed, Friday.

I wanted to explain from a business stand point why I do it this way, compared to other providers or centers. Typically centers charge a higher fee but are open for long hours, like 6am-6pm. In a center you pay a higher rate for the flexibility to drop off and pickup anytime in between those opening and closing hours. So essentially in a center you are paying for 12 hours of care per day, regardless of what you use. Here I base your rate on the specific amount of hours that you need, which results in a much lower cost to you. When you look at it on an individual basis picking up 30 minutes late and dropping off 15 minutes early isn’t that big of a deal. But, if you add it up, providing 45 minutes of care extra per day, means over a year’s time that is 195 hours of free care. I love what I do, absolutely love your children, and can’t imagine me doing anything else, but unfortunately I haven’t won the lottery, YET, and can’t do “Free”.

I understand that traffic is bad in this area and most of this is not referring to the occasional 5/10 minutes late due to traffic. I am familiar with providers/centers that charge high late fees for every single minute that you are late and really don’t want to have to go that route. Usually the general rule of thumb is if you are more than 15 minutes late, more than 2-3 times per month, then we need to look at adjusting your contracted hours.

So in review here a few key points. Review your contracted hours and make sure you stick to the contracted arrival and departure times. If you need a permanent change, make requests in writing at least 2 weeks prior to the change. For short term changes, make the request at least 48 hours in advance. In both cases, wait for approval from me first. With your approval I will include the amount due for additional time.
Please feel free to discuss any questions or concerns you have.

Much adoration, Mrs.B
cheerfuldom 05:58 AM 03-13-2012
I think it is too wordy and would absolutely take out "maximize profits". I would also outline late fees and start enforcing them, even for traffic issues. If they need extra time for traffic, then they pay for it
JenNJ 05:59 AM 03-13-2012
I think it is really wordy and honestly I was skimming by about halfway through. I think a simple letter such as:

Dear Parents,

Attached are copies of your contracted hours. Your arrival and departure times are highlighted. If you need additional hours, the request must be submitted in writing at least 48 hours prior. Additional care will come with a charge of $5 per 15 minutes if I can accommodate the schedule change. Please make sure you have a reliable back up in case I am not able to accommodate your schedule changes.

Failure to abide by your contracted hours will result in a permanent rate change.

Thank You,

MrsB
MrsB 06:41 AM 03-13-2012
Thank you! I knew it was too wordy. It was my morning vomit of words!

I will work on it!

I dont remember who it was that suggested it... but I agree we need a vomitting emoticon
daycare 07:36 AM 03-13-2012
Yes shorten it. Also do you have late fees?
I charge $1.00 per min that you are early or late. With a 10 min grace period

If you do, I would mention the late fees in the letter
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 03-13-2012
I vote for JenNJ's letter. Short and to the point.

IME, any more explaining opens the doors for negotiation.
MamaBear 07:50 AM 03-13-2012
I agree with JenNJ too... Just needs to be simplified & shortened. Like my Mom always told me, "less is more"
MrsB 08:27 AM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Yes shorten it. Also do you have late fees?
I charge $1.00 per min that you are early or late. With a 10 min grace period

If you do, I would mention the late fees in the letter
Good thought! I will add that. I do have late fees, same thing $1 per minute.
wdmmom 08:44 AM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Good thought! I will add that. I do have late fees, same thing $1 per minute.
Add that into the letter.

"Any time above and beyond your designated drop off and pick up time will result in a fee of $1.00 per minute. These fees will be strictly enforced."

When you put it like that, you are more apt to having parents pick up 10 minutes early than late just so they don't have to pay the outrageous fees.

I tell my families that they will receive a text message when I start charging.

Example text: DCB is still at daycare. Late fees are being imposed as of right now.

If pick up is 430pm and they are still here, they are charged from 430pm to whenever the parent exits my door with their child. Pickup takes 5 more minutes because DCM wants to chat, she's paying dearly for it.
MrsB 09:16 AM 03-13-2012
I have attached copies of your contracted arrival/departure times and weekly rate for your review. Make sure you stick to your contracted arrival and departure times. If you need a permanent change, make requests in writing at least 2 weeks prior to the change. For short term changes, make the request at least 48 hours in advance. After submitting a request, wait for my approval first. With your approval I will include the amount due for additional time. Typically it is $5 for each additional 15 minutes.
Anything extra that is not prior approved and beyond the 10 minute grace period will be charged the contracted late fee of $1 per minute.

Make sure any requests are submitted by Friday March 16th. All fees will be strictly enforced when I return from vacation, March 26th.

Please feel free to discuss any questions or concerns you may have.
Much adoration,
Mrs. Bellece
MrsB 09:37 AM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Add that into the letter.

"Any time above and beyond your designated drop off and pick up time will result in a fee of $1.00 per minute. These fees will be strictly enforced."

When you put it like that, you are more apt to having parents pick up 10 minutes early than late just so they don't have to pay the outrageous fees.

I tell my families that they will receive a text message when I start charging.

Example text: DCB is still at daycare. Late fees are being imposed as of right now.

If pick up is 430pm and they are still here, they are charged from 430pm to whenever the parent exits my door with their child. Pickup takes 5 more minutes because DCM wants to chat, she's paying dearly for it.
I like the texting idea!

I really dont mind my 5 minute chit chats at pickups. As far as my late fees go I do enforce them, and I dont really have a problem with any of my parents just showing up late.

I enjoy that I can have a family relationship and chit chat about meaningless stuff with my DCFs.

I enjoy being able to be flexible for the most part, but I want to get paid for my flexibility if it means extra time. Most of my issues more recently are because of the random show ups 15 minutes early, being told of late arrivals instead of being asked, or the thought that I am automatically going to say yes.
daycare 09:40 AM 03-13-2012
what does your contract say? DOes it explain what you have explained to us here?

This is what I would say.

Dear DCP,

Prior to your enrollment, each family was contracted and agreed to set hours. Attached you will find a copy of this agreement, please review it. Should you have any questions, please talk to me about it.

Starting March xx all late fees will be enforced.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation,

DCProvider
MrsB 10:17 AM 03-13-2012
This is what my contract says,

This rate is based on the understanding that I will be providing care in accordance with the set schedule above and does not cover any additional time. Requests for changes need to be submitted in writing at least 2 weeks prior to the change date and may come with an increased fee.

Without prior approval, there is a late fee of $1 per minute that your child is dropped off earlier or later than these contracted times. Care will not commence until all late fees are paid in full.

Also under the section of reasons for immediate termination, I have, not abiding by contracted times.
daycare 10:35 AM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
This is what my contract says,

This rate is based on the understanding that I will be providing care in accordance with the set schedule above and does not cover any additional time. Requests for changes need to be submitted in writing at least 2 weeks prior to the change date and may come with an increased fee.

Without prior approval, there is a late fee of $1 per minute that your child is dropped off earlier or later than these contracted times. Care will not commence until all late fees are paid in full.

Also under the section of reasons for immediate termination, I have, not abiding by contracted times.
so If that is already written in your contract and you will give it to them you don't need to say it twice.....
Tags:contracted hours, hours - changing, letter samples, notification letter
Reply Up