Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Sensory Issues and Eating
Unregistered 08:09 AM 09-13-2019
I am very newly licensed and am currently doing the food program. I recently started care for a 3 year old dcb who has some sensory issues. I explained to the family I'm on the food program and will offer the meals I prepare instead of them sending food. He will occasionally eat some of it while making himself gag, otherwise he gets up and refuses to sit with the kids. The parents said he only eats captain crunch at home and sometimes crackers.

He has been here 5 times now and today the parents sent captain crunch and two sippy cups of orange juice. They can tell he is hungry when he gets home, but I dont know how to handle this. I dont want him to be hungry, but I feel like I shouldn't be feeding him captain crunch at every meal. Should I just feed him the captain crunch and have them opt out of receiving the food program?
Cat Herder 08:13 AM 09-13-2019
I am not allowed to serve either of those. Both are junk. I would simply tell them no. It is a disservice to the child and lazy at best.
Jo123ABC 11:21 PM 09-14-2019
I would say no too though I know it's easier said than done. I have a "no food or drink from home" policy and some still drop their kids off bright and early with a bag full of candy or a cup full of juice I hate confrontation so I stick it in a baggie and set it on the shelf for parents to pick up with their kid. I explain to the kids that it's not fair to the others if one brings something and the others can't have any. Hopefully they repeat that statement to their parents.
Unregistered 09:50 AM 09-15-2019
I am a former daycare provider and two of my children also have sensory integration issues. So I do understand the struggle on both sides. However, if the parent is honestly only feeding their child captain crunch and crackers that blows my mind. How is the child getting his nutrition? Does he drink a nutritional supplement or anything? I would think he would have to be on pediasure or something if he honestly eats zero protein and nothing but sugary cereal. Is he under a dr.'s care for this? Craziness...anyway, do you have a no food from home policy written in your contract? If so, I would just enforce that. If it is seriously a sensory issue and not just a lack of parenting then maybe you could come up with a compromise. Like, would you be willing to serve him the same meal offered to everyone else, but add a couple whole grain crackers? Or if he does drink a nutritional drink at home, could they bring that to be served in place of his milk/water during meal times?
I have a child who used to eat peanut butter, yogurt, whole grain crackers/cereal, & 4 fruits. I totally get the struggle as a parent with a child who gags over textures. But I worked with an OT to figure out how to help my child. If your dck is that extreme he needs to be in feeding therapy or working with a professional to help him reach a healthy level with his eating.
I'm so sorry you're dealing with that.
Unregistered 09:57 AM 09-15-2019
The only other thing I can think of if you're wanting to keep this dck is that although its not ideal, maybe offer him the least amount of food allowed on the food program and then offer him more milk/juice whatever you're drinking. I hate that he would be drinking his calories instead of eating them, but it sounds like that's what he's doing anyway and its the parents' job to correct that, not yours. If he's a good fit in every other way thats probably what I would do.
Unregistered 10:14 AM 12-01-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am not allowed to serve either of those. Both are junk. I would simply tell them no. It is a disservice to the child and lazy at best.
Are you not allowed to provide it or are you not allowed to claim it if you provide?
Cat Herder 02:02 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Are you not allowed to provide it or are you not allowed to claim it if you provide?
I am a Quality Rating and Improvement System program. I receive grant money based on posted menus using healthy, locally sourced, whole foods. I would lose points and credibility were I to provide menus like that.

I could serve those as a rare treat component in addition to a complete meal or snack. If I did it often, I would lose points and end up with a lower star rating. That would cost me grant money and clients. I am not on the Federal food program.
Cat Herder 02:08 PM 12-02-2019
If he will eat Captain Crunch he should work to granola, dehydrated fruits/veggies and dried meats. Once he has a taste for those he may start trying more and more as long as they are not "wet". Think healthy food, just dry. Break out the food dehydrator. Keep his water available at all times.
AmyKidsCo 01:34 PM 12-03-2019
I have a 4 yr old who started with me at 2 and didn't eat ANYTHING for a full month. It's not sensory, just super-picky, and because I don't give him cookies, pop tarts, waffles, french fries, chicken nuggets, etc. I don't know if I'd do anything different if it were sensory, but it's "take it or leave it" at my table. I do try to have something I know he'll eat - usually the grain and fruit, but some meals he still chooses not to eat anything.

My job is to offer healthy food. Their job is to decide what and how much to eat.
Tags:enabling parents, malnutrition, nutritional neglect, parent - its a verb, qris, sensory food aversion
Reply Up