Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Child Tracking GPS Device for Kids
Beth 01:07 AM 03-17-2010
Has anyone used or recommends a device that your child can wear or put in their backpack in order to keep track of were they are during the day. There is an article on this site about it along with information about cameras that daycare can install in order to check on the kids while at the center. I worry about my kids and just knowing that they're where they're supposed to be would put my mind at rest. Am I over reacting or is this something I should look into? Anyone used it?
tymaboy 05:36 AM 03-17-2010
My DS is a teen. His phone has a gps tracking system that we have used a few times. There has only been 1 time that we had to call him on where he was at. It ended up that it was puling the information from the tower across the river instead of the one here in town. It comes in handy when we are not sure when he will be home so we will pull up the info to see if he is still at school or on his way home.
Childminder 07:31 AM 03-17-2010
Our state just recently started enforcing a strict attendance accounting for subsidy day care children. It is a huge hassle, the parents have to call in the hours to match what I claim. I get that. My problem is that the parents for the most part are lazy and don't. Which means I don't get paid. My suggestion is a gps implanted under the skin on each child, at birth, then big brother knows where they are at all times. Or maybe they could provide us with a finger print scanner to scan them upon entry and exit.

I know that isn't what you asked I'm just irritated. Can you tell?
tymaboy 07:40 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Our state just recently started enforcing a strict attendance accounting for subsidy day care children. It is a huge hassle, the parents have to call in the hours to match what I claim. I get that. My problem is that the parents for the most part are lazy and don't. Which means I don't get paid. My suggestion is a gps implanted under the skin on each child, at birth, then big brother knows where they are at all times. Or maybe they could provide us with a finger print scanner to scan them upon entry and exit.

If I had to do something like that I would not be watching those children that the parents cant do what they need to. If I dont get paid the child does not stay in my care. If its a regular issue with the same family they would no longer be in care.
Childminder 07:49 AM 03-17-2010
In a perfect world it would be great to terminate but enrollment is down and my husband is out of work. It's a big hassle and I'm tired of hand holding but I do what I gotta do. If I don't get my payment childcare is suspended till I do. Just can't find children right now, they are dropping like flies around here.
mac60 09:10 AM 03-17-2010
I totally understand Childminder. Things are tough all over, and we have to deal with things we normally wouldn't. I put up with a pain in the butt family for quite a while, until I had the opportunity to replace them. But, I can tell you, if it is just the behavior of a child that is the problem......I would never get rid of them for that as long as I was paid on time each week, because when you let 1 child go for behavior issues......there is always anotehr one lurking around the corner. There are things I will tolerate and deal with, and things I won't, and sometimes we are not in any position to change things. good luck.
Beth 09:53 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:

I was asking about the devices from the article here https://www.daycare.com/story/mainstreet_md/index.php

It's not a phone gps, it appears to notify you if my child leaves the daycare or enters it.
Former Teacher 02:53 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Beth:
I was asking about the devices from the article here https://www.daycare.com/story/mainstreet_md/index.php

It's not a phone gps, it appears to notify you if my child leaves the daycare or enters it.
Maybe it's just me or the fact that it's been a LONG day but your question has kinda, for the lack of better words, irked me.

Let me get this straight, again it was a long day. You want a GPS system on your child or in your child's backpack just so you know where your child is at all times. I get that. However, if the GPS was in the backpack and your child took off without the backpack, what good would the GPS be?

Another thing that "irked" me was that yes I understand about being overprotective. You have to be nowadays. My mother is still overprotective of me and I am 36 years old haha.

Anyway when you choose a provider, whether it be a daycare or a home center, you are placing faith in that provider to protect your child at all times. Don't you think a GPS on a child would 1. make that child feel singled out? and 2. make the provider feel that she can't do her job?

If I sound nasty I don't mean to be. Your thread just stood out from the others today for some reason
Beth 04:02 PM 03-18-2010
"1. make that child feel singled out? and 2. make the provider feel that she can't do her job?"

No offense taken. You made two points here and did not even consider the "parent" in this. I as a parent am asking has anyone ever or considered using these devices. I see where childcare providers buy monitor systems why can't we as parents monitor our children with these GPS devices. If, I get relief at work knowing that my child made it to daycare and has not left the daycare, whom does it hurt?. It is peace of mind, and that is worth a lot in this day and age. Maybe I watch too much news and worry too much. Don't you sometimes?

I am considering buying the cheapest tracker subscription. I will register here in the future and let you all know how it goes.
jen 04:30 PM 03-18-2010
Personally, I gotta wonder if this person is really thinking about purchasing one of these things or if they sell it and wanted to lure parents to look at it...
Former Teacher 04:53 PM 03-18-2010
Originally Posted by Beth:
"1. make that child feel singled out? and 2. make the provider feel that she can't do her job?"

No offense taken. You made two points here and did not even consider the "parent" in this. I as a parent am asking has anyone ever or considered using these devices. I see where childcare providers buy monitor systems why can't we as parents monitor our children with these GPS devices. If, I get relief at work knowing that my child made it to daycare and has not left the daycare, whom does it hurt?. It is peace of mind, and that is worth a lot in this day and age. Maybe I watch too much news and worry too much. Don't you sometimes?

I am considering buying the cheapest tracker subscription. I will register here in the future and let you all know how it goes.
I understand where you are coming from Beth however, again forgive me, wouldn't you KNOW whether or not the child has arrived to the center? I can understand in circumstances of divorced parents etc.. but even in that case I in my honest opinion think a GPS for a daycare use is taking it to far. I did consider the parent in this. The parent must wholeheartedly trust another human to take care of the parents most treasured possession. The parent MUST have the communication with the provider thru a more personal level, IE phone calls, face to face meetings, emails etc. I just don't believe in placing a tracking device on a child just because he/she goes to daycare. But that's just my opinion
DBug 07:14 PM 03-18-2010
While I don't think I'll ever use a tracker for my own children (too big brother for me), I can totally understand a parent wanting to use one. And I hope that as a provider, I wouldn't be offended if one of my parents put one on their kid while in my care. I mean, I have nothing to hide -- I'm always where I say I'm going to be. And what if some child-snatcher grabbed a child at the playground while my back was turned for 2 seconds? Then I'd be incredibly grateful that the parent had the foresight/paranoia to use a tracker. I occasionally care for a child whose non-custodial parent may eventually cause problems. A tracker would be great for situations like that. Point is, stuff happens. Why beat a parent up for wanting to take care of their kid to the best of their ability?
MarinaVanessa 08:46 AM 03-19-2010
I agree that I wouldn't mind it at all. If it gives the parent piece of mind then so be it. The issue however falls with the parent of a child that feels that this is necessary. Maybe it's her first child and she's overprotective. Growing up with an overprotective mother I know how it feels to be the overprotective child and it doesn't feel good. Even as a child I was never allowed to even ride my bike on the street or walk to school (I was 9 or 10 and school was four blocks). It made me feel inadequate and untrusted. As a provider however I would doubt the parent. I'd worry about whether the parent would cause issues down the road.
BenSmith1 08:45 AM 11-11-2010
This is something that you really need to look into. Of course we are not beside our child as always. So in order to monitor them at all times, it is necessary for us to provide them with a device that will enable us to track them in any place that they are in. The device that I provided to my kids is a cellphone that is GPS enabled and I registered them to this website. This website provides a cellphone application that can track the current location of our kids and it is also very useful during emergency situations because it has a panic button that our kids can press to summon for help and ask for immediate response. They also provide other safety features which I find very useful to ensure the safety of our kids.
adla 11:44 AM 12-13-2010
I really don't think it's a good idea to place a GPS device on a normal functioning child. It takes away a large level of their independence as they grow older, and who knows what sort of psychological damage or distrust of authority that can lead to?

I might understand putting it on smaller children who have to walk themselves to bus stops and things like that, but GPS tracking devices should steer clear of mature children who are able to think for themselves. I'd say anyone after 7 shouldn't have to wear a GPS device at all.

The only exception to this rule, I think, is when your child has a cognitive disorder like autism or Down's. In these instances, it may be difficult to constantly watch over a child who is prone to unpredictable behavioral patterns, and for these children, an extra level of safety might just be the smartest thing to do.

In these instances, I would recommend a GPS device like the one offered by It comes with an anti-tamper feature that will ensure the safety of your special needs child to the point where you can rest easily. But if your child is normal functioning and wants to go hand out with friends, you shouldn't feel the need to keep an eye on him or her at all times.

That's just cruel and irresponsible.
jen 08:27 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by adla:

That's just cruel and irresponsible.
LOL! Seriously? OK..I don't have my children "chipped" either, but cruel and irresponsible? Let's try to get some perspective.

Cruelty? Let's take a moment to remember all the children who will be beaten and abused this year, who won't have enough to eat, will live in poverty, isolation, and hunger. Let's remember those who live in underdeveloped countries infested with disease and dirty water.

Irresponsible? How many children will get left in the car this Holiday season while Mommy runs in to throw a fiver in the slots? How many parents will spend their money on smokes, while their kids don't have gloves or school supplies?

Let's try to get a grip, shall we? You may not realize this, but when you call good and loving parents, whose biggest faults are being over-protective, cruel and irresponsible, your are being a bit irresponsible yourself.

Sorry for the rant, but this whole idea that we are going to damage our children beyond beliee because they hear the word no, get a spankinking, or in this case, are over-protected is making me nuts.
Jo123ABC 07:03 PM 12-07-2019
Seems like a lot of "guest" posters decided to respond to this. Oops... Just noticed the date. That's probably why.
Tags:2010, cctv, gps, monitor, tracking
Reply Up