Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Do You Wait?
laceylmm 11:42 AM 03-06-2013
So this is my sixth week as a certified provider.

My one family generally drops off boy at 12:30 (here til 7:30pm). Well lately he will randomly show up at 2 or 3, with no call that he will be late. Some days he is my only kid.

I have no desire to sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to show up whenever they want. Contract says 1pm, even though mom actually goes to work at 10am. Boyfriend drops of the boy. They have state subsidy.

I think if they haven't shown up within an hour of their contracted time without a phone call I shouldn't have to sit here and wait.

Oh the kicker?? Yesterday they showed up THREE HOURS EARLY with no call. He could tell I was pissed/not ready for the day/surprised he was there so early.

I text mom that I needed to leave with her son and use my carseat since he was three hours early and I had things to do before his 1pm contracted time. I told her in the future he HAS to call before he drops off early. All she said back was 'ya he can use the seat' No sorry or anything.

I write this all at 2:45pm waiting AGAIN for him to show up when he should have been here at 1pm. I'm tempted to pack my kids up and leave as soon as the clock hits 3!!!
Blackcat31 11:45 AM 03-06-2013
I don't wait. Parents are required to call if they are going to be more than 15 minutes late.

If they don't call, I assume they are not coming and will no longer accept them into care for the day.

I'm sorry but EVERYONE and their child has a cell phone now days. A quick text or phone call is NOT too much to ask imho.

It is also a sign of respect. If you (parent) don't respect me with a little bit of courtesy, then I will not respect you by caring for your child today.
mema 11:46 AM 03-06-2013
I would go somewhere. If they are that rude to not tell you when they are coming, I wouldn't be waiting around. They have a contracted time for a reason. I had one a few months back that didn't show up or call on time, so we left to go to the park. I just left a note on the door with the time we would be back-they could come back then or not at all. Parent was a little pissed, but I said we aren't going to just sit around waiting all day, we have things to do. Show up on time or be left out. They did get better about showing up on time and calling if they were going to be late.
NeedaVaca 11:53 AM 03-06-2013
Nope, wouldn't wait past 15 minutes without a phone call! Maybe what you need to do it type up a reminder of the contracted times, tell them no early drop offs without prior request and approved by you, if they are more than 15 minutes late & no call you will assume they are not coming. Leave the house, they will figure it out quickly I think it's really rude and disrespectful to you...
AfterSchoolMom 12:56 PM 03-06-2013
I wouldn't wait, I'd go somewhere immediately and be gone until really late on purpose. I bet you'll get a call then!
laceylmm 01:00 PM 03-06-2013
so they showed up as we were ready to walk out the door at 3:45pm! I'm so mad right now!

Did I mention that this is their sixth week of care and I still have not been paid? They haven't had their cards to swipe in (do other states do this, this is how it is in Ohio). Kept telling me that had called for new cards and should be getting them any day. Finally called to see why it was taking so long and no new card had been issued since last year.

New cards were finally mailed off on 2-26 and they still do NOT have them.

Which means if the times aren't entered in this week I won't get paid until 3-22!!
ABCDaycareMN 01:13 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by laceylmm:
so they showed up as we were ready to walk out the door at 3:45pm! I'm so mad right now!

Did I mention that this is their sixth week of care and I still have not been paid? They haven't had their cards to swipe in (do other states do this, this is how it is in Ohio). Kept telling me that had called for new cards and should be getting them any day. Finally called to see why it was taking so long and no new card had been issued since last year.

Which means if the times aren't entered in this week I won't get paid until 3-22!!
They should be paying you out of pocket til their subsidy comes in. Then you can pay them back what is over paid. I would never work with out payment!
laceylmm 01:19 PM 03-06-2013
I just turned in my manual claims forms so I should get paid something soon. Hopefully next Friday???

BUT they are SUPPOSED to be swiping in. And I should be paid for at least four of those six weeks by now.
Holiday Park 01:19 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't wait. Parents are required to call if they are going to be more than 15 minutes late.

If they don't call, I assume they are not coming and will no longer accept them into care for the day.

I'm sorry but EVERYONE and their child has a cell phone now days. A quick text or phone call is NOT too much to ask imho.

It is also a sign of respect. If you (parent) don't respect me with a little bit of courtesy, then I will not respect you by caring for your child today.
This is me and it states it in the contract. Not only is my wait time 15 minutes but if the don't tell me 24+ hrs in advance they will be late , I will consider the child to be absent and reserve the right to turn them away. A couple times my client has asked if she could bring him late after the fact and I said yes because she asked.
laceylmm 01:21 PM 03-06-2013
This is the text I sent him:

Hi M this is Lacey. I just want to make sure you have my cell as well as my house number 7****. Please note that from now on you will need to call/text if you will be more than 20min late for drop off time which is 1pm. And call if you need to drop of earlier than a half an hour before 1pm. A three hour window in either direction of 1pm is not okay.

Additionally we will have to amend what time drop off time will be in the contract when J's schedule changes next week. Thank you.
TheGoodLife 01:24 PM 03-06-2013

I'd talk to them today at pick-up. First, tell them that you will not wait longer than 15 minutes. Then make it a point to be out (or not answer the door if you have a DC space they can't see from an entrance) with only a note on the door. Also, they should pay you NOW for weeks owed, with a signed agreement that you will pay back the money when you are payed by the government. Let them know that you understand their situation, but you are under NO CIRCUMSTANCE to give service w/o payment! The nerve of some people!!!
TheGoodLife 01:27 PM 03-06-2013
This is the text I sent him:

Hi M this is Lacey. I just want to make sure you have my cell as well as my house number 7****. Please note that from now on you will need to call/text if you will be more than 20min late for drop off time which is 1pm. And call if you need to drop of earlier than a half an hour before 1pm. A three hour window in either direction of 1pm is not okay.

Additionally we will have to amend what time drop off time will be in the contract when J's schedule changes next week. Thank you.
Good for you! Good luck, I hope they can get their act together!
laceylmm 01:27 PM 03-06-2013
I guess I need to work on my rules some more. Even though Im sure they didn't actually read the hand book. And don't even remember half of what I told them anyway.

Should I print out something also in case they try to act like they didn't receive the text?
Holiday Park 01:29 PM 03-06-2013
Oh i also have a cut off drop off time. The contracted hours for pick ups can vary person to person , but they must drop off at 8am.
As for the early drop offs thing f a parent needs occasional early drop offs , I give them a specific amount of early drop offs per week to use and make sure my wuoted rate for each week compensates me for that. They pay the full rate whether they actually use their allotted early drop offs or not.

For example the one client I have now is Tue-Fri's 8-5:30 . She has 2 6am early drop offs to use per week. But must tell me by friday evening @pick up which days will be her early drop offs for the following week. Sometimes her schedule changes and she doesn't know if she'll be getting an early shift until after the weekend. So I have it stated in her contract to tell me by 7pm the night before.
Since her schedule changes and some weeks she needs only 3 days but they are never the same 3days week to week, and I like to contract for specific days, that is why she has a 4day contract&rate. So a lot of times he will just be a no show and thats ok. Since after the 15minute wait it's not like I'm waiting around got him anyway. I can move onto other things in my day :-)
The reason I have a requirement for the 15 minutes is because if I need to take my kids to school for any reason, that allows me time to get them to school n time, and again.. am not having to wait around for a kid who might not show up.
Blackcat31 01:31 PM 03-06-2013
Did I mention that this is their sixth week of care and I still have not been paid?
Aw, hun FIRST rule in daycare is NO pay NO stay. I don't care what their excuse, situation, or reason is.

NO payment means NO daycare!

You need to STOP providing services until you are paid IN FULL or have spoken DIRECTLY to their case worker and verified that the days and itmes you have already provided care will be reimbursed to you and that you will be paid as of today for this day forward.

NEVER ever allow someone else's financial situation to become your issue.
TheGoodLife 01:32 PM 03-06-2013
I say just sick to your word- although maybe have something in print for them to update/ change their schedule with you. I did decide to make a Contract Policy Overview- one page with short, bulleted reminders of my most important/ most often abused policies from my contract. Keep it simple and hopefully it will be easier for them to review
Willow 01:38 PM 03-06-2013
Tell them you need to be paid in full before he returns.

Also tell them he needs to be there at his scheduled time. If they want to always schedule for 10 or always schedule for 1 (or 2 or 3 or whatever) then that's what time he needs to be there. No early drop off's, and you'll give them a 15 minute window without a phone call and then you're no longer going to be available that day.

They're taking MAJOR advantage of you.

They would not get away with that crap elsewhere, you do NOT have to put up with it.

Stick to your guns, you deserve better!
laceylmm 01:39 PM 03-06-2013
I guess I wasn't really sure how this works if you are taking state kids as well.

In Ohio/my county they say to take the families until they get their cards to swipe. And the cards will back swipe three weeks. Well here I am waiting and waiting. The first week I didn't even have my machine yet.

Anyway so I HAVE entered in my manual claims forms for the first two weeks. And JFS says that I can't enter the rest if its inside the three week back swipe time for when they do get their cards.

I think I'm going to tell them if they aren't swiped in on Friday they will have to find other care until they get their cards?? <<<thoughts??
laceylmm 01:41 PM 03-06-2013
LOL you guys are making me want to revise everything I've said to them now!! Love that you all don't mess around with your families/money!!
Willow 01:54 PM 03-06-2013
I guess I wasn't really sure how this works if you are taking state kids as well.

In Ohio/my county they say to take the families until they get their cards to swipe. And the cards will back swipe three weeks. Well here I am waiting and waiting. The first week I didn't even have my machine yet.

Anyway so I HAVE entered in my manual claims forms for the first two weeks. And JFS says that I can't enter the rest if its inside the three week back swipe time for when they do get their cards.

I think I'm going to tell them if they aren't swiped in on Friday they will have to find other care until they get their cards?? <<<thoughts??

Can you call their worker and ask what the heck??

I can't tell you how many parents I've had tell me they'd filled out all the proper paperwork and were just stuck "waiting" when in fact they'd never done ANYTHING they needed to get assistance at all.

Now it's smack dab in my policies, you need to already be approved for assistance or private pay until it starts coming through.

Please tell me you're on a food program so you haven't been feeding him all this time without reimbursement too?
JLH 02:00 PM 03-06-2013
Yep, learned this one the hard way about a month ago.

I had a state paying client who was with me for a few months. She didn't pay her co-pay for the first month and a half. When I threatened late payment penalties, she paid $200 but was still short of what was due by $18 I believe. The first of the next month was coming and she was warned to pay on or by the 1st, including the last month's unpaid balance of $18, or late fees and no more care.

She dropped her son off on the first and when she came to pick him up I asked for the money. She claimed she had to go to the store to get it because it was wired to her by the kid's dad, and that is the last I heard from her.

I called the state to report her. Because she owed me the co-pay, I basically get nothing out of the deal. The co-pay that she didn't pay was supposed to cover the one day he attended, the 5 absent days allowed, and the one holiday; and the state says it's my responsibility to get the co-pay. They only pay what is due on top of the co-pay.

Well, lesson learned! lol Now, because this was a very trashy family I know that unless I go to small claims I will never see my money. However, I do get satisfaction out of knowing that until she pays me the state won't give her childcare benefits anymore. Atleast for the time being, she can't do this to anyone else. Hahaha
laceylmm 02:00 PM 03-06-2013
They have definitely been approved for services. They had lost their cards conveniently the second I got my machine. And kept telling me they had called TWICE for new cards and didn't know what was taking so long.

Which was when I called and JFS said they hadn't been issued any new cards so they didn't know who they were talking to. Cards have definitely been mailed now according to JFS. BUT the parents STILL do not have them.

On the food program BUT since February was my first full month I haven't received ANY reimbursement yet. And I've been feeding his sister also on her one day a week, and any snow days.

Literally have only made their $60 copay since starting.
Tags:disrespectful parents, late arrivals, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up