Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handbooks
Second Home 09:22 AM 03-26-2014
When you all mention your parent handbook do you actually have a book or is it just your policies typed up on paper .

I currently have my contract ( 1 page) with hours and pricing .
3 pages that are my policies and things required by the state , the parents must initial on each item .
1 page for my 2 week trial /termination policy with signatures .

Do you think using the word handbook vs . policies makes any difference in the way parents follow the policies?
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 03-26-2014
I have a *very* detailed handbook. This handbook is my guideline for interviewing. I go over my handbook with families page by page.

I will supply them with their own copy once they are enrolled.

I have used the same handbook for years but the state recently made some changes so I redid mine earlier this year and have been going by the newer, much longer (but easier to follow) handbook.

I am currently working on linking it to my website so that parents (both current and potential) can check it out beforehand and see if I meet their needs.
CraftyMom 09:34 AM 03-26-2014
I have a detailed handbook (19 pages). There is a separate contract that states the parents agree to everything in the handbook. I mention the most commonly abused policies directly on the contract, but make it clear that they agreeing to EVERYTHING in the handbook
My3cents 10:38 AM 03-26-2014
I am similar to BCat and CraftyMom.

I have my policy/handbook/rule book
Then I have a paper that they check off that highlights most of the book and makes sure that they understand.
Then my contract that states the hours they need, price they are paying for my services,
Then I have forms that I hand out for the state
Food program forms

I need to overhaul my book big time.

This all sounds like a lot but really it is not.
melilley 10:40 AM 03-26-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I have a detailed handbook (19 pages). There is a separate contract that states the parents agree to everything in the handbook. I mention the most commonly abused policies directly on the contract, but make it clear that they agreeing to EVERYTHING in the handbook
Same here.
craftymissbeth 10:45 AM 03-26-2014
This is pretty much how mine is. Mines 14 pages and is separate from the contract. I can email it to you if you'd like. I have it set up with a cover page and table of contents and then I hole punch it and stick it in a pocket folder... in the pockets I put all of the forms I need back.

In my contract I restate all of my financial policies and I also put in there that ALL policies must be followed.
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 03-26-2014
I also include a sentence on my contract sheet that says "Failure to read any or all of the program's policies is not valid excuse for not adhering to the program requirements."

Let's parents know that just because they choose NOT to thoroughly read my handbook, that I will not make an exception if they break a rule.
llpa 10:50 AM 03-26-2014
This is how mine is as well.
CraftyMom 10:50 AM 03-26-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
This is pretty much how mine is. Mines 14 pages and is separate from the contract. I can email it to you if you'd like. I have it set up with a cover page and table of contents and then I hole punch it and stick it in a pocket folder... in the pockets I put all of the forms I need back.

In my contract I restate all of my financial policies and I also put in there that ALL policies must be followed.
That's a good idea with the folder!
rebekki78 11:01 AM 03-26-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a *very* detailed handbook. This handbook is my guideline for interviewing. I go over my handbook with families page by page.

I will supply them with their own copy once they are enrolled.

I have used the same handbook for years.
This. I have a very detailed, 13 page contract. I don't call it policies or a handbook, I just call it my parent/provider contract. And I, also, go over this during interview #1 so that they are fully aware of the guidelines. I just use printer paper and a staple to hold mine together. I have made revisions, and I have a line in the contract that states that any "new" policies go into effect immediately. If I "change" a policy, it is given to parents and two weeks after it will go into effect. Attached at the end is a Financial Agreement page and Policy Agreement page, both signed by provider and parent.
TaylorTots 11:34 AM 03-26-2014
My handbook goes over every policy, schedule and expectation I have for the parent. It is 13 pages. Then a signature page for the handbook. They get a handbook, a copy of their signature page.

We go through it in depth during the interview, page by page. When parents try to rush it, I go even slower - emphasizing each point until they understand these are the LAW here and they need to know and agree or it will end their care if they violate.

I have a 1 page financial agreement. They get a copy after it is signed.

I have OTC medication forms as well as Emergency Forms (1 page each) that must be completed/signed as well.
Second Home 11:47 AM 03-26-2014
This is pretty much how mine is. Mines 14 pages and is separate from the contract. I can email it to you if you'd like.
Yes please that would be great .

"Failure to read any or all of the program's policies is not valid excuse for not adhering to the program requirements."

I LOVE this .
MarinaVanessa 12:24 PM 03-26-2014

This is exactly how I do mine too. Handbook hole punched and in a pocket folder, pockets hold enrollment forms and information.

My handbook is a thorough explanation of my policies and covers what's in my contract plus some. My contract only deals with the money aspect of it like fees and fines.

You don't have to have a "handbook" but because I'm so thorough and specific I have a lot of pages so I call it my handbook.
Tags:handbook
Reply Up