Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Annoyance...
Unregistered 08:19 AM 11-15-2017
...just when I think I've seen it all and know how to handle it. I have 2 dcf's that plop their kids on top of the 4-foot cubby in my enrty to take off coats and shoes. I provide child-sized chairs for this purpose. In over 15 years, I have never had people do this, ever. What's changed? Only thing I can think of is I recently removed the aerosol air freshener and Lysol (state says it has to be locked up), but that seems insignificant. To me, it is disrespectful and unsafe. Plus, I am very plain about not allowing the kids to climb into it or hang on it or even sit on the lower shelves. That is not what furniture or shelving is for. Kind of hard to make that clear when children are placed right on top of it every day.

I will either clear it of the pens (the kids grab these and mark the top or drop them behind it) and few keepsake dc figurine gifts (dcm or dcd will at least swat their hands away from them), and grit my teeth and turn away when these dcf's put them up there. Or I'm gonna load it up with so much stuff there will be no place up there for a little set of buns. I was thinking maybe framing much of the art kids have brought me over the years in Dollar Tree frames and proudly displaying it.

The things we have to deal with!
storybookending 08:23 AM 11-15-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
...just when I think I've seen it all and know how to handle it. I have 2 dcf's that plop their kids on top of the 4-foot cubby in my enrty to take off coats and shoes. I provide child-sized chairs for this purpose. In over 15 years, I have never had people do this, ever. What's changed? Only thing I can think of is I recently removed the aerosol air freshener and Lysol (state says it has to be locked up), but that seems insignificant. To me, it is disrespectful and unsafe. Plus, I am very plain about not allowing the kids to climb into it or hang on it or even sit on the lower shelves. That is not what furniture or shelving is for. Kind of hard to make that clear when children are placed right on top of it every day.

I will either clear it of the pens (the kids grab these and mark the top or drop them behind it) and few keepsake dc figurine gifts (dcm or dcd will at least swat their hands away from them), and grit my teeth and turn away when these dcf's put them up there. Or I'm gonna load it up with so much stuff there will be no place up there for a little set of buns. I was thinking maybe framing much of the art kids have brought me over the years in Dollar Tree frames and proudly displaying it.

Some people have no respect for other people’s property! I like the artwork idea! With the holidays coming you could decorate it holiday themed.
KayB 08:41 AM 11-15-2017

I used to have the exact same issue! How I took care of it was wrote a sign with a black sharpie that said PLEASE DO NOT PUT YOUR CHILD ON HERE! Left it there for a week and took it off to see if they did it again and nope they didn't!!
Gemma 08:43 AM 11-15-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Some people have no respect for other people’s property! I like the artwork idea! With the holidays coming you could decorate it holiday themed.
This^^^

MomBoss 08:49 AM 11-15-2017
I had this same probelm. Where the parents enter its next to my kitchen that has a cutout window type thing. Since its a ledge i would have this parent sit their kid on there to take off shoes and coat. I was like ew your kids butt in 5 inches away from where i prep food...so i would put seasonal decor there so she couldnt do it anymore.
MarinaVanessa 09:20 AM 11-15-2017
I would just make a trifold shaped sign that can stand on the surface for the next week or two with ...
"DO NOT PLACE CHILDREN ON TOP OF FURNITURE SURFACES
Bottoms are meant to sit on chairs.
Thank you. "

And when I'd see a parent attempt to try it I'd address it directly with them.
ME: "DCM, Don't place your child on top of my furniture like that. It's not made for that and I'd like my furniture to last. Thanks. I appreciate it."
DCM: "Oh sorry, I just wanted to sit her down so I can remove her jacket"
ME: "There's a chair right over there specifically meant for her to sit on."
Also ME: **blank smile followed by uncomfortable stare**
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 11-15-2017

Okay, I'm sorry but seriously? Why wouldn't you just say "Don't put your child up there?" instead of trying such passive-aggressive solution?

These parents will never learn unless we teach them.

Creating roadblocks, deterrents and other ways of passively re-directing rarely if ever gets the message across.
hwichlaz 10:11 AM 11-15-2017
I had a daycare mom that used to sit on my coffee table, put her kid on the sofa, and remove her shoes.....until my teen son piped up... "Tables are for glasses, not a$$e$." I admonished him in front of her, then high fived him when she left.
Leigh 10:13 AM 11-15-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I had a daycare mom that used to sit on my coffee table, put her kid on the sofa, and remove her shoes.....until my teen son piped up... "Tables are for glasses, not a$$e$." I admonished him in front of her, then high fived him when she left.

midaycare 10:27 AM 11-15-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Okay, I'm sorry but seriously? Why wouldn't you just say "Don't put your child up there?" instead of trying such passive-aggressive solution?

These parents will never learn unless we teach them.

Creating roadblocks, deterrents and other ways of passively re-directing rarely if ever gets the message across.
I don't like confrontation, but I would on this. Anytime you lose your nerve just say, "I'm sorry, state regulations, the kids can't climb on furniture like that. That's why I have the chairs right there."

I don't think I would have an issue just talking to parents about this, but keep the state reg thing in your back pocket. It's useful. Once it's out of your hands and it's a state thing, the parents can't argue with you. Your hands are tied. Bummer.
Unregistered 10:28 AM 11-15-2017
I like the holiday decor idea. That would be cute! A sign could work, too, to be more direct (there are actual no sitting signs that show a figure sitting on a ledge).

Why not just openly say, "Don't put your kid up there."? I have tried being direct about small matters like this in the past, and it offends people, which in turn makes the relationship uncomfortable. I feel like they think I am being witchy with a b. Adults don't like to be scolded or told they are being impolite like children, although many deserve it. But I don't like confrontation on a trivial matter. Since I would like to continue with them as clients, I prefer to pacify my own little pet peeves, because that's what this is, by simply not making it possible to do something that really does no harm, but irritates me none-the-less.
midaycare 10:29 AM 11-15-2017
Kids always seem to say what we want to.
Unregistered 10:40 AM 11-15-2017
State says that's a no-no. Awesome idea! I could even say my liability insurance won't cover gross negligence like that. :P

I love that, hwichlaz! Kudos to your son! Nothing like being corrected or reminded of basic good behavior by a child to shape up!
midaycare 11:19 AM 11-15-2017
State says that's a no-no. Awesome idea! I could even say my liability insurance won't cover gross negligence like that. :P
MI has tons of regs, don't get me wrong...but my clients must think the regs are ridiculous I use this alot.

I have used it when clients were staying after pickup time..."I'm so sorry, my insurance and the state has regs against this. I'm only licensed until ____". I have likewise used it in the morning, when parents have tried to come early. "I'm sorry, the state has my hours of operation from ___ to ___. If they happened to come early and I was taking care of a child, I could lose my license."

Parents leave a running car in the driveway? "I'm so sorry, state regs. Please turn off your car."

Now...I'm almost positive I could actually find a state reg for all of these. I'm also sure my licensor doesn't really care. But...technically I'm not lying. I just throw up my hands and say, "Oh these state regs! So crazy!"
Blackcat31 11:24 AM 11-15-2017
I like the holiday decor idea. That would be cute! A sign could work, too, to be more direct (there are actual no sitting signs that show a figure sitting on a ledge).
I put a laminate sign (BIG BOLD RED letters) saying "DO NOT place your child here" but it was hard for parents to read because their kids were sitting on it.

Why not just openly say, "Don't put your kid up there."? I have tried being direct about small matters like this in the past, and it offends people, which in turn makes the relationship uncomfortable. I feel like they think I am being witchy with a b. Adults don't like to be scolded or told they are being impolite like children, although many deserve it. But I don't like confrontation on a trivial matter. Since I would like to continue with them as clients, I prefer to pacify my own little pet peeves, because that's what this is, by simply not making it possible to do something that really does no harm, but irritates me none-the-less.
More than likely they are embarrassed not offended.
However, even if they are offended who cares? They should be. I would never own someone else's reaction or their feelings. Especially when it's a direct result of THEIR own stupid actions.

That is a lot of what is wrong in this world today.
Either those that know better are afraid to speak up for fear of offending or those that don't know any better never learn because no one wants to offend them.

*sigh*

(OP~ I am not trying to be rude or harsh. Just honest and realistic. )
Mom2Two 01:08 PM 11-15-2017
I would probably be direct but positive. Rather than say "Don't xyz" say what the desired behavior is. So you could just say "Oh these chairs are the place for putting coats on." If a parent laughed me off, I would follow with, "Actually I really do want them to only use the chairs for that. That piece of furniture is not designed for that."

And we do have a state safety regulation that says that equipment should be used in the way it was intended.

And I have a rule for the kids: "No stunts in daycare."
Unregistered 05:36 PM 11-15-2017
I’m gonna say this as unregistered even thought I’m a registered member. “Parents are infuriating!” I was so pissed today when a parent who has been arriving earlier and earlier every day came 15 minutes before I open. I’m tired of them banging on the door. I answered the door with wet hair and said something. The same parent I have to lock the door on and do pick ups at the door cuz this kid goes nuts in my house. These parents are driving me to the quitting point!
flying_babyb 05:54 PM 11-15-2017
Double sided patio door pest strips.... No chemicals on them but a heck of a nasty stick!
Im kidding...
HappyEverAfter 07:38 PM 11-15-2017
Hahaha!!!! I love it!!!!
AmyKidsCo 07:47 PM 11-15-2017
I had that problem so I put a large plant there. The dcm just pushed it aside so she could put her child there.
Tags:parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up