Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>About to go off on a DCM!!!!!
Christina72684 09:02 AM 04-03-2014
This isn't the first time she's done this, but I let it slide the first time....

We have a young, single mom taking care of her 3yr old by herself with no child support (dad doesn't work). Her house burnt down right before Christmas and they lost everything (Her daughter's bday was just 2 weeks before so they lost all the new bday presents and Christmas presents). She took a few weeks off work, so I let her skip a few co-pays (We charge $110, her co-pay is $40. so we have been getting some money at least). Well she's been living with her mom ever since and got a ton of stuff donated, so she should have some money saved up. I showed her the bill last night and she said she can only afford to pay her co-pay weekly. She was in a hurry to get to work so I didn't pursue it any more at the moment. Well one of my workers closed last night and talked to her. Apparently the DCM said she's not paying more than her co-pay and that it's our fault for letting it add up and she doesn't think she should even have to pay a co-pay at all because we get the CCDF money.

She's said something like this before to my same worker and I let it go. Now I'm PISSED! We bent over backwards helping her. She didn't bring her daughter every day and we didn't say anything. I donated some of my daughters (unwanted) toys to her. We gave her till tax time to pay the money back. And this is how she repays us?! By complaining to our worker, again?! I'm about to tell her if you can't pay $80 a week until it's paid off then don't come back and we'll see you in small claims court!
sahm1225 09:07 AM 04-03-2014
I'm confused. You let her 'skip' as in she pays when she gets money or she doesn't to have to pay?do you have a contract
daycarediva 09:09 AM 04-03-2014
How KIND of you for offering her a break when she was in need. How AWFUL of her not to be grateful and appreciative. This is what turns providers off from offering anyone 'help'.

I would set up a payment plan, effective immediately. I would include the entire back charges and even a late fee if not paid on time. I would also add that if she misses one payment, or is late more than once, she is terminated effective immediately and you will take her to court, too.
spud912 09:12 AM 04-03-2014
Yeah I'm confused too. If you let her "skip" was she well aware she would have to pay it back and did you give her a time line of when to repay it? Was this in writing? If it wasn't clear, this dcm may assume that you were giving her a "gifted" discount temporarily (without the need to repay).
Crazy8 09:15 AM 04-03-2014
I'm a little confused too… did you explain that the money would be due eventually or did she think you were gifting her the free copays?? I think if all that was not clear from the beginning that maybe she was under the impression it would not be owed at all. Unfortunately it sounds like a bit of a lack of communication on both ends.
spud912 09:20 AM 04-03-2014
I wanted to add that I'm sorry that she is not treating you with any respect . She should be grateful to have such an understanding provider!
Annalee 09:21 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
This isn't the first time she's done this, but I let it slide the first time....

We have a young, single mom taking care of her 3yr old by herself with no child support (dad doesn't work). Her house burnt down right before Christmas and they lost everything (Her daughter's bday was just 2 weeks before so they lost all the new bday presents and Christmas presents). She took a few weeks off work, so I let her skip a few co-pays (We charge $110, her co-pay is $40. so we have been getting some money at least). Well she's been living with her mom ever since and got a ton of stuff donated, so she should have some money saved up. I showed her the bill last night and she said she can only afford to pay her co-pay weekly. She was in a hurry to get to work so I didn't pursue it any more at the moment. Well one of my workers closed last night and talked to her. Apparently the DCM said she's not paying more than her co-pay and that it's our fault for letting it add up and she doesn't think she should even have to pay a co-pay at all because we get the CCDF money.

She's said something like this before to my same worker and I let it go. Now I'm PISSED! We bent over backwards helping her. She didn't bring her daughter every day and we didn't say anything. I donated some of my daughters (unwanted) toys to her. We gave her till tax time to pay the money back. And this is how she repays us?! By complaining to our worker, again?! I'm about to tell her if you can't pay $80 a week until it's paid off then don't come back and we'll see you in small claims court!
Here, if a subsidy paid client doesn't pay the copay, we are mandated to report it immediately. The client then loses their subsidy pay. I would check with the subsidy office and see what their guidelines are. Good luck!
TwinKristi 09:34 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Yeah I'm confused too. If you let her "skip" was she well aware she would have to pay it back and did you give her a time line of when to repay it? Was this in writing? If it wasn't clear, this dcm may assume that you were giving her a "gifted" discount temporarily (without the need to repay).
I agree... This is the second post this week about people being kind in times of need and getting burned. If you didn't have a repayment plan, according to our alternative payment programs, it's your job to get the copay. Some people don't charge a copay at all and accept what they get from the state as reimbursement. I'm not saying it's right, but I do know others who do this. But yeah, $70/wk probably isn't enough for that spot. Just term her and replace her with someone who will pay your full rate! Period. You let her slide, now she can't catch up. Either write off the balance she owes you as a loss and move on or pursue her for the copays but I imagine she'll have some sympathy on her side giving her situation. It's not right but it's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. I've learned from this forum that doing parents favors when it comes to money really never pays off!
TwinKristi 09:36 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Here, if a subsidy paid client doesn't pay the copay, we are mandated to report it immediately. The client then loses their subsidy pay. I would check with the subsidy office and see what their guidelines are. Good luck!
That's not how it is here. We don't have to accept a co-pay from the parent if we choose not to. I had a friend who was on a subsidy program and I was her backup provider. I wasn't subject to the copays but her main provider was and she never collected it. The only money she collected from her was for their extra programs (gymnastics, fieldtrips, etc) and not the actual copay. She had 3 kids in her care so the amount she was getting without the copay was enough for her.
Lucy 09:52 AM 04-03-2014
I took "skip" to mean she didn't have to pay them. Like you waived a 2 or 3 co-pays.
Christina72684 05:57 AM 04-04-2014
Sorry for miswording it. I guess they right wording would have been "I told her she could delaying paying us until she got back on her feet and she had until tax time to start paying us back." She knew that she had to pay it, for whatever reason she thinks she doesn't have to. I'd love for her to go look for another daycare that only charges $70/week because there aren't any! We are a little on the high end, but we also offer preschool, not just daycare.
Tags:assistance, discount, tragedy
Reply Up