Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mobile Deposit and Checks
DaveA 03:37 AM 12-05-2014
My bank finally joined the 21st century and now has an app where we can do mobile deposits. Very handy, but now I have the checks still here after deposit.

I figure I can

return them to parents
keep them with tax stuff & receipts
keep them for a couple of months then destroy them

If anyone uses this, what do you do with the checks?
Rockgirl 03:48 AM 12-05-2014
Good question--mine are all sitting in a drawer. I will probably shred them after a couple of months.
snbauser 03:52 AM 12-05-2014
I use a mobile app as well. We are instructed to write "mobile deposit on xx/xx/xxx" on them after submitting them and then we are supposed to destroy them after 7 days. I do have a stack of them right now though because my shredder is broken.
sahm1225 04:31 AM 12-05-2014
I keep them for about a month and then shred them.
Leigh 06:05 AM 12-05-2014
I would actually keep about 2 years worth of them. When my husband and I applied for a mortgage, it was a nightmare proving my income, because I kept records in a ledger, but the bank wanted actual copies of the checks parents wrote to me. My bank doesn't keep 2 years worth of copies, so I had a tough time coming up with "proof" for them. We wound up just leaving me off the mortgage and just putting my name on the deed to speed things along. For this reason, I've been taking photocopies of checks before depositing them, just in case we decide we'd like to move again someday!
daycarediva 06:21 AM 12-05-2014
We are to write 'for mobile deposit' and then keep them on file for 90 days (bank policy)

I keep mine indefinitely in my ledger.
craftymissbeth 06:37 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I use a mobile app as well. We are instructed to write "mobile deposit on xx/xx/xxx" on them after submitting them and then we are supposed to destroy them after 7 days. I do have a stack of them right now though because my shredder is broken.
This is what my bank's app says after I make a deposit. I just stick them in a special place and when I go to deposit the next week's checks I destroy the ones from the week before.
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
My bank finally joined the 21st century and now has an app where we can do mobile deposits. Very handy, but now I have the checks still here after deposit.

I figure I can

return them to parents
keep them with tax stuff & receipts
keep them for a couple of months then destroy them

If anyone uses this, what do you do with the checks?
I keep the checks in an envelop with my tax stuff.
I figure after 3 years I can toss them.

I don't know if that is what we are required to do or not but it seems to be the safest (in case of audit) and best (better to have record than no record) way of doing it.

HTH
therov 08:29 AM 12-05-2014
My bank instructs to destroy the check once the mobile deposit has been approved and credited to the account. Fire up the shredder.
melilley 11:05 AM 12-05-2014
I was told by my tax lady to copy them so I've copied them and then shredded them.
I always forget and end up with a hug pile to do at once..lol I think I'm just going to save them from now on.
SSWonders 08:53 AM 12-10-2014
My bank says to destroy them after two weeks.
BrooklynM 02:01 PM 12-10-2014
I have a binder and I 3 hole blank paper and just tape them on there, then separate them by family. It makes tax time a piece of cake! I use the same binder to tape my expense receipts in. At the end of the year, I clip it all together and store them with my tax returns.
Crazy8 02:16 PM 12-10-2014
when I am depositing them it says to keep for 14 days. I generally keep them for about a month and then shred them.
spinnymarie 11:18 AM 12-11-2014
I have a binder with copies of the bills I send to parents filed in it, and I staple their check to the back once deposited. I plan to keep for a couple of years this way, mostly for records/taxes.
Tags:automatic - billing, automatic - payment, banking, deposits, electronic payments
Reply Up