Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inconsolable Baby...
SilverSabre25 06:51 AM 05-16-2014
how long do you let a baby (14mos) cry before doing something such as contacting parents? We're going on 20+minutes of inconsolable scream-screeching.
craftymissbeth 06:55 AM 05-16-2014
Honestly, I let children that old cry as long as they need to. If they're fed, dry, not tired, and are safe and comfortable then they can just cry.

I'd call for pick-up if it's driving you or the other kids nuts, though.
Childminder 06:57 AM 05-16-2014
More than 20 minutes. Maybe try laying her in bed?
SilverSabre25 07:09 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
More than 20 minutes. Maybe try laying her in bed?
That's my next step though it's going to mess with the rest of the day IF she goes to sleep. Yesterday she stayed in there for ~15 minutes and renewed scream-screeching.

She's having a tough time this week :/
Childminder 07:18 AM 05-16-2014
It's so hard to listen to. =( lot's of hugs and even more patience. Is she getting up earlier than she's used too? Does she still take two naps?
SilverSabre25 07:28 AM 05-16-2014
It's so hard to listen to. =( lot's of hugs and even more patience. Is she getting up earlier than she's used too? Does she still take two naps?
She's getting up at the regular time afaik. She either takes one Loooooong nap or a short AM nap and long PM nap. But the past few days have had her not napping much at all. I'm starting to think teething or sick (somethign I can't see, she's not snotty or anything)
gracepatiencelove 07:31 AM 05-16-2014
If it is totally out of the ordinary I would probably call after an hour. I would definitely text them and ask if something has changed. If it was something that started/stopped, didn't cause problems, I'd probably leave it alone but if you are talking ear-piercing, headache inducing, stress-level-raising screaming... yeah, I'd call.
childcaremom 07:52 AM 05-16-2014
Is she new? I expect some newbies to cry but I always tell parents that I will contact them after 45 mins if they haven't settled and see if they have suggestions on what she may need (hungry? tired? etc)

If she has been in care for a while, I would notify parents after 1 hr and give them the heads up and see how they wanted to proceed. Then if it continues and it's pushing 1.5 hours, I would call for pick up. May be something going on.

Poor kiddo!
SilverSabre25 07:54 AM 05-16-2014
Nope, not new. She's been here since she was 6 weeks!

I think what it largely is, is she wants held. I think she's getting into some bad habits at home, though her parents are all-around fantastic. I guess it could also be separation anxiety or, legitimately, teething.

I finally cuddled her for a few minutes and then she slid off my lap and toddled off....so we'll see.

Thanks for the input though! It's nice having other brains to bounce stuff off.
TaylorTots 08:14 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Honestly, I let children that old cry as long as they need to. If they're fed, dry, not tired, and are safe and comfortable then they can just cry.

I'd call for pick-up if it's driving you or the other kids nuts, though.
Agree, and add to that list not showing symptoms of illness
Childminder 12:16 PM 05-16-2014
Maybe separation anxiety it usually hist around 9mo and 15mo for me.
craftymissbeth 12:25 PM 05-16-2014
Maybe separation anxiety it usually hist around 9mo and 15mo for me.

Reply Up