Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Earliest Newborns Can Enter Daycare???
Jack Sprat 12:06 PM 05-16-2014
I searched for a thread on this and didn't find what I was looking for. If there is something I apologize!

I have a dcf that has asked how early their baby (being induced next week) can start daycare. They have one dck here now. The original plan was six weeks. However, dcm started her leave early (3 weeks ago) and dcf can't afford anymore time off work. I have emailed my licensor to see if there is an age etc. I haven't heard back yet and couldn't find anything on regs website.

Ideally, I would like the baby to be at least 6 weeks. I don't think she is going to nurse of if she does she has stated it won't be longer then 2 weeks so milk supply probably won't be an issue. I don't really know what age she was thinking but, I would think she would want 4 weeks off at least. Just for her own recovery and time with the baby. DH mentioned offering them this: 6 week maternity leave, hold spot for both dck's and have them pay half their weekly rate for one child, and keep the older one home during that time. This would give them a break financially and wouldn't hurt my finances either.

Thoughts???
Annalee 12:08 PM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
I searched for a thread on this and didn't find what I was looking for. If there is something I apologize!

I have a dcf that has asked how early their baby (being induced next week) can start daycare. They have one dck here now. The original plan was six weeks. However, dcm started her leave early (3 weeks ago) and dcf can't afford anymore time off work. I have emailed my licensor to see if there is an age etc. I haven't heard back yet and couldn't find anything on regs website.

Ideally, I would like the baby to be at least 6 weeks. I don't think she is going to nurse of if she does she has stated it won't be longer then 2 weeks so milk supply probably won't be an issue. I don't really know what age she was thinking but, I would think she would want 4 weeks off at least. Just for her own recovery and time with the baby. DH mentioned offering them this: 6 week maternity leave, hold spot for both dck's and have them pay half their weekly rate for one child, and keep the older one home during that time. This would give them a break financially and wouldn't hurt my finances either.

Thoughts???
Licensing rules here is 6 weeks before entering child care.
Childminder 12:10 PM 05-16-2014
On my license it states 6 weeks but idk what is possible in your state.

Btw, I always thought you were a male dcp by your name.
butterfly 12:12 PM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
On my license it states 6 weeks but idk what is possible in your state.

Btw, I always thought you were a male dcp by your name.
me too. - to both points.
Jack Sprat 12:19 PM 05-16-2014
I am female!! It was the first thing that popped into my head. I changed my name a few months ago..

I was thinking it was also 6 weeks just can't find that magic number anywhere.
Blackcat31 12:22 PM 05-16-2014
My license also says 6 weeks BUT I had a DCM once who had NO family or friends in the area and needed me to take her baby sooner than 6 weeks.

I called my licensor and asked her and she told me the 6 weeks on my license was stated that way because that is the general age infants are when their parent returns to work and taking someone younger was up to me.

Mom had the baby on a Thursday and I had the baby in care on Monday.
renodeb 12:22 PM 05-16-2014
I have had babies as young as 3 weeks b/c of that situation. Where I live there is no minimum age! I prefer 6 weeks though.
Deb
MarinaVanessa 12:22 PM 05-16-2014
I'm in CA and I'm not sure that we have a regulation on age. Typically it's 6 weeks and that's what I go by but for me that' only because the smaller they are the more risk of sids etc. You made me curious enough to want to go check if there is a limit for me
craftymissbeth 12:27 PM 05-16-2014
I just looked at my license and it just says under 18 months. I don't recall seeing a minimum age in the regs, but I'm not positive there isn't one.
SignMeUp 12:55 PM 05-16-2014
Do your licensing regulations include a set of definitions? If so, there may be a definition of "infant" by age. That's how ours is.

From our definitions: Infant. "Infant" means a child who is at least six weeks of age but less than 12 months of age
Newborn. "Newborn" means a child between birth and six weeks of age.

From our administrative rules: Newborn care. When a newborn is in care and only one adult caregiver is present, the newborn shall be the only child under 12 months of age and the provider shall not care for more than two other children at the same time unless another adult caregiver is also present or the newborn is the provider's own.

These are our regulations, but of course they differ state to state, maybe sometimes even county to county.
nannyde 01:03 PM 05-16-2014
I would take them from the hospital! The squishier the better. Love newborns.

My youngest was ten days.
Jack Sprat 01:03 PM 05-16-2014
No ours says 18 months and under...not sure if gets more detailed then that.
Annalee 01:06 PM 05-16-2014
I checked with licensing here in TN and it is 6 weeks at the earliest.....something to do with SIDS. Not sure about your state.
Jack Sprat 01:06 PM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:

You are a gem!!!
gracepatiencelove 01:20 PM 05-16-2014
I don't know about regs but I loooove newborns so, as long as I could legally, as early as they want! I would personally want at least 6 weeks home with my baby but I understand needing to go back earlier.
Cradle2crayons 03:07 PM 05-16-2014
My youngest was 3 days old. But that was a long time ago.

Special dcg was inpatient when her little brother was born. He had to stay in NICU for 10 days and I picked him up from there and brought him home.
Chellieleanne 03:58 PM 05-16-2014
I wouldn't take younger than 4 weeks(not sure if we have regulations though on age, have to look it up). I know most centers the minimum age is 6 weeks. However I prefer around 3 years old more than anything. I think I would only take an infant if it was part of siblings. Babies are a lot of work!

Look up result:
Ok so I can have 4 under 2years with no more than 2 under 1 year old. With one provider. No minimum age though for family. For a center lowest age is 6 weeks that is listed.
Meeko 08:08 PM 05-16-2014
I've had several at only about 2 weeks old.
KidGrind 03:48 AM 05-17-2014

PSYCHO! joking

It’s 4 weeks and up for me.

Play Care 05:17 AM 05-17-2014
I believe in my state I would need a waiver to take them younger than 6 weeks.
I swear I read that in one of the many, many pages
Sunshine74 10:16 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I believe in my state I would need a waiver to take them younger than 6 weeks.
I swear I read that in one of the many, many pages
I know it is that way for centers. I would imagine it is the same.
LysesKids 03:40 AM 05-20-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I checked with licensing here in TN and it is 6 weeks at the earliest.....something to do with SIDS. Not sure about your state.
That rule is for licensed homes, I'm license exempt and trained as a Postpartum doula; I take babes at 3-4 weeks, but then they are my specialty too.

Once I had one that was less than a week old when mom ended up back in the hospital - that was a crazy few days ( 10 years ago )
Annalee 04:43 AM 05-20-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
That rule is for licensed, I'm license exempt and trained as a Postpartum doula; I take babes at 3-4 weeks if needed,

Once I had one that was less than a week old when mom ended up back in the hospital - that was a crazy few days ( 10 years ago )
Yes, it is for licensing! I think the age of 6 wks is part of the SIDS issue! However, I was allowed to have my own at daycare when I went back to work at 7 days.....but that was 10 and 12 years ago....not sure if licensing would let me now. So much has changed since then!
KatieG 06:17 AM 05-20-2014

I agree! Newborns are awesome! 3 1/2 weeks is the youngest I've had, though.
Unregistered 07:03 AM 05-20-2014
Its 6 weeks because that's when they get their shots.
LysesKids 07:07 AM 05-20-2014
Here in Knox/Blount county area of TN, some Drs dont do shots at 6 weeks… they wait a few; some of my childcare babes got first shots at 8 & 12 weeks
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 05-20-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Here in Knox/Blount county area of TN, some Drs dont do shots at 6 weeks… they wait a few; some of my childcare babes got first shots at 8 & 12 weeks
Yeah most of ours here are done at the 8 week mark or even later.
Angelsj 10:30 AM 05-20-2014

Agreed. I would take them immediately if possible!
Heidi 10:43 AM 05-20-2014
WI doesn't specify, it just depends on what you put on your license app. Even so, I got an exemption once for a 4 week old (my license says 6 weeks) because there was one week she needed care. She slept 8/9 hours she was here, I think.
Reply Up