Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Designing New Daycare
Christina72684 02:10 PM 03-02-2012
We're in the process of designing a new daycare that will be devoted to children 3 years and older (or as soon as they're potty trained). We want to make sure we're not forgetting anything. Here are the areas that we would have in our large one room building:

Bathroom (only separate room)
Kitchen
Area for Cubbies
Nap area
Reading center
Art center
Science center
Music center
Block center
Dramatic play center
Free play area
2 doors to the outside

Are we forgetting anything? Do you have any suggestions about what ones would be good next to each other and what ones should be apart? How big should the areas be? What flooring do you think works best? Do you have anything that helps separate your centers, such as half walls or partitions?

This will be one large building, so we're trying to decide what all will be in it before we decide what size to build. We appreciate any help/advice!
AmyLeigh 02:23 PM 03-02-2012
......oops.
Blackcat31 02:28 PM 03-02-2012
Try these sites for some super useful room designs,tips, tools and layouts.

There all have some really great resources and are completely worth looking through:

http://www.kaplanco.com/resources/floorPlannerIndex.asp
http://www.communityplaythings.com/r...nts/index.html
http://www.eichild.com/RmPlanPre.cfm
Christina72684 03:03 PM 03-02-2012
Thanks for the websites!
Heidi 03:08 PM 03-02-2012
I was going to suggest community play things....

I would not suggest having a designated "nap area". I would suggest having nap mats and a place to store bedding for each child, but to split the kids up into the different areas of the room (partitioned by half walls). Several young children in one area napping looking right at each other spells C H A O S!
Blackcat31 03:21 PM 03-02-2012
I nap 8-10 children side by side every day in one big room. Some sleep, some rest.

The ages of my nappers/resters are 14 months to 5 years old.

They have been trained to nap next to each other and stay on their mats and not mess around. It works wonderfully for me....so I personally wouldnt rule it out.

We are also talking kids 3 yrs and up so at that age they are plenty old enough to follow rules.
Heidi 03:29 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I nap 8-10 children side by side every day in one big room. Some sleep, some rest.

They have been trained to nap next to each other and stay on their mats and not mess around. It works wonderfully for me....so I personally wouldnt rule it out.

We are also talking kids 3 yrs and up so at that age they are plenty old enough to follow rules.
Cool Cat!
WImom 04:27 PM 03-02-2012
We do the same here - all one room. They also all know not to fool around. I don't mess with nap time!

I wish mine could be closer together like Blackcat, we are required to have them 2 feet apart. Takes up sooo much room with 8 kids.
kendallina 05:24 PM 03-02-2012
Area for sensory table.

ETA: In general, noisy play areas should be close to noisy areas (generally pretend close to block area).
Hunni Bee 09:04 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have to say, adorable kiddos .

But I have to ask, what are the regs about napping spaces in your state?

We have to have at least 18 inches between each mat/cot, although they recommend three feet . I guess they think we nap the kids in an open field...

And we must have a covering for the mat and a cover for the child.

I don't mean any harm...it just jumped out at me how close they are and was curious. We'd get a major violation for that.
Childminder 09:22 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by :

We have to have at least 18 inches between each mat/cot, although they recommend three feet . I guess they think we nap the kids in an open field...

I don't mean any harm...it just jumped out at me how close they are and was curious. We'd get a major violation for that.
Yeppers, same here.
Meeko 08:45 AM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

We used to have a 2 foot rule here and then the state gained a brain and realized that it was a pointless rule. The kids play with their heads touching, hug each other all day, cough over each other, kiss each other, sometimes...let's face it..... they even vomit on each other.........so having them sleep 2 feet apart for "health reasons" was silly.

I am licensed for 16 kids and sleeping them all THREE feet apart would be crazy hard!
Hunni Bee 08:56 AM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
We used to have a 2 foot rule here and then the state gained a brain and realized that it was a pointless rule. The kids play with their heads touching, hug each other all day, cough over each other, kiss each other, sometimes...let's face it..... they even vomit on each other.........so having them sleep 2 feet apart for "health reasons" was silly.

I am licensed for 16 kids and sleeping them all THREE feet apart would be crazy hard!
Its impossible in my set-up. I'd have to put some of them in the bathroom.

I personally would need to have them at least arm's length apart because I have some wild sleepers and they would kick and roll on top of each other being that close. Plus I shudder at the thought of someone breathing in my face for two hours
Blackcat31 02:56 PM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

Oh, no offense taken... I know alot of you have some really tough guidelines and rules to follow. My state is pretty easy going compared to some of the things I read people post about rules.

We have ZERO rules or guideliness for napping or resting here.

It isn't even required that I offer the kids a nap. The only sleeping or napping regulations we have in our state are for infants (under 12 months).

This is what my licensing rules say word for word:

Activities must:

A. be scheduled indoors and outdoors, weather permitting;
B. be appropriate to the developmental stage and age of the child;
C. include active and quiet activity; and
D. contain provider-directed and child-initiated activity

Subp. 9. Equipment.
Each child shall be provided with a mat, bed, cot, sofa, or sleeping bag if a rest time is provided.

That is the only requirement or mention of napping in the regulations and our regulations are many many pages long but unfortunately VERY vague.
Tags:layout, set up
Reply Up