Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are You Worried About Coronavirus?
Valerie928 08:01 AM 02-27-2020
I am trying not to be. But social media has inflated this and made it so scary. Is stopping the virus/containing the spread worth it? Should we accept it into our lives and stop trying to stop it? To me, it seems like another flu virus or similar. Some people infected will recover quick, some not so much, some pass away. Just curious as to what you folks are thinking?
Cat Herder 08:19 AM 02-27-2020
The media needs to sell ads and print.

The precautions are exactly the same as for any virus.
Baby Beluga 08:24 AM 02-27-2020
Not at all.

Practice the same health precautions as with anything else and always have a stockpile/preps in place for any emergency - not just coronavirus.
tenderhearts 08:35 AM 02-27-2020
I am slightly but with any illness right now since my husband is currently going through chemo and his white blood cell count is always low.
Unregistered 08:40 AM 02-27-2020
Yes! Iowa public health department just put out a webinar for providers to learn how to prevent the spread in daycares. Obviously they think it will be bad. the webinar is an hour long.
Valerie928 09:10 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes! Iowa public health department just put out a webinar for providers to learn how to prevent the spread in daycares. Obviously they think it will be bad. the webinar is an hour long.
That's kinda extreme. I mean the virus has been around for 1 month and there are only 15 infected/ quarantined/ almost all recovered US persons. I understand being prepared but influenza has killed at least 30,000 people this season so far.
Michael 09:54 AM 02-27-2020
I'm kind of an alarmist but I read that upwards of 70% of the world's population will contract Coronavirus. It seems to have a 1 - 3% mortality rate. That would equal up to 150 million people dying and as many as 5 million in the US. Still the odds of contracting and dying from it seems to be only a very rare possibility in America.

Fear will only drive down the economy and immobilize people. I agree with keeping to sanitary environments, washing hands, taking vitamins, staying healthy and going about our daily lives.

Fear of the Coronavirus will do much more harm. The majority of is will deal with it as we do the cold or flu.

As a footnote: I was at the local coffee shop with about 15 other people and sitting at a table with my wife. I felt a sneeze coming on and put my face in my sweatshirt and sneezed. The barista said "bless you" and no one ran out of the store. Seems like no one cares.
Valerie928 10:02 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
I'm kind of an alarmist but I read that upwards of 70% of the world's population will contract Coronavirus. It seems to have a 1 - 3% mortality rate. That would equal up to 150 million people dying and as many as 5 million in the US. Still the odds of contracting and dying from it seems to be only a very rare possibility in America.

Fear will only drive down the economy and immobilize people. I agree with keeping to sanitary environments, washing hands, taking vitamins, staying healthy and going about our daily lives.

Fear of the Coronavirus will do much more harm. The majority of is will deal with it as we do the cold or flu.

As a footnote: I was at the local coffee shop with about 15 other people and sitting at a table with my wife. I felt a sneeze coming on and put my face in my sweatshirt and sneezed. The barista said "bless you" and no one ran out of the store. Seems like no one cares.
Been watching the stock market tumble🙄 Until just yesterday, I was completely unaware that the swine flu (H1N1) of 2009-2010 was a pandemic.
Ariana 10:03 AM 02-27-2020
More people have died already from the seasonal flu and less have had the flu. Also some of the stats are taking into account people proven to have had covid-19 not people who have had it and recovered without being tested. Also those deaths were in places with sketchy healthcare and people over 70 yrs old. The difference is we know less about it and do not have a vaccine.

My main fear is the panic and shortage of resources due to that panic. I carry hand sanitizer everywhere I go so have a good stockpile already but my mother in law is travelling and when she went to buy hand sanitizer it was completely sold out. I also worry about my husband who has severe asthma and my parents who are both over 70 and having to take care of them. I also worry about people bringing their kids to my house even though they are not working. Will I shut down?
Ariana 10:06 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Been watching the stock market tumble🙄 Until just yesterday, I was completely unaware that the swine flu (H1N1) of 2009-2010 was a pandemic.
Yes! I had just had my daughter when that started so I dragged my butt down to the arena to get the vaccine because they recommended it for people taking care of infants. When I got there and saw the thousands of people hoarded into these rooms I thought “how is this a good idea” Luckily nothing really came of it. Not sure social media was as crazy back then either so there was much less panic.
Michael 10:15 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My main fear is the panic and shortage of resources due to that panic. I carry hand sanitizer everywhere I go so have a good stockpile already but my mother in law is travelling and when she went to buy hand sanitizer it was completely sold out. I also worry about my husband who has severe asthma and my parents who are both over 70 and having to take care of them. I also worry about people bringing their kids to my house even though they are not working. Will I shut down?
I've pretty much been stocked up with n95 face masks, surface cleaners and I bough 6 bottles of DAB-they use to advertise on Daycare.com. When I used it last year I did not get sick. I wasn't using it this last winter and got a cold. May just be a coincidence but I am again using it all day.
Cat Herder 10:23 AM 02-27-2020
I think people hear the word "Pandemic" and panic thinking it means something it does not. It does not mean immediate global infection, hide in your basement, bring out your dead.

It simply means "the worldwide spread of a new disease."

CoV19 is just that, new. Novel. Novel means new. Novel COVID-19. New coronavirus from bats 2019, mutated from new coronavirus from bats 2002 (SARS-CoV-2). SARS= severe acute respiratory syndrome.

MERS= Middle East respiratory syndrome. But it came from camels. Also a novel=new virus. (2015-ish)
Valerie928 10:49 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I think people hear the word "Pandemic" and panic thinking it means something it does not. It does not mean immediate global infection, hide in your basement, bring out your dead.

CoV19 is just that, new. Novel. Novel means new. Novel COVID-19. New coronavirus from bats 2019, mutated from new coronavirus from bats 2002 (SARS-CoV-2). SARS= severe acute respiratory syndrome.

MERS= Middle East respiratory syndrome. But it came from camels. Also a novel=new virus. (2015-ish)
Yep, I believe this is the 6th SARS/ Carona type virus. Not sure why manufacturing a vaccine would even matter as the virus seems to mutate every time it comes back. Doesn't that render a vaccine useless?
Cat Herder 10:54 AM 02-27-2020
Yep, I believe this is the 6th SARS/ Carona type virus. Not sure why manufacturing a vaccine would even matter as the virus seems to mutate every time it comes back. Doesn't that render a vaccine useless?
My understanding is that they are going for the part that allows transmission from animal to human. They have not quite figured that out, yet? Some of it is also research for the military as well to keep an offensive stash against the development of biological weapons.
littlefriends 11:16 AM 02-27-2020
It takes a lot to freak me out, so no. I had the flu this year and felt terrible but got over it in a week. I don’t care for infants and my kids aren’t very young.

My mom yelled at me once (I was maybe 19 or 20 at the time) because there was a tornado in the vicinity and instead of running to hide I called her at work to tell her how crazy the sky and wind were. As I’m describing this to her and she’s yelling at me to get in the house a tree in our front yard broke in half and the top part blew off down the street...that’s when I decided maybe I should freak out.
LittleExplorers 11:31 AM 02-27-2020
I am more concerned with others freaking out. We need masks for working on our project property and are no longer able to find them. It's annoying, but I understand why some have fears. It's new and media is hyping it up.

I worked outside the home during the h1n1 stuff. I was on a comittee to prepare our buildings etc. We had a huge budget for hand sanitizer and the like. A year later, all that sanitizer expires unused except for a few bottles.
sahm1225 11:33 AM 02-27-2020
Does anyone have a clause in their contract about what happens if there is a pandemic and we have to close? Would love to see how it’s worded..
If we were forced to shut down that would be a big financial hit
Cat Herder 11:45 AM 02-27-2020
This link should just about cover any prepping daycares need to do. I do want to point out number 8, here. Cough. Cough.

"Use seasonal influenza as an opportunity to practice preparedness and response efforts."

https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-a...Influenza.aspx
MomBoss 12:10 PM 02-27-2020
No. Theres something new every year.
H1n1, Zika, ebola....
Valerie928 12:27 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
No. Theres something new every year.
H1n1, Zika, ebola....
Yep, exactly. And there will always be "something"
Snowmom 12:41 PM 02-27-2020
I'm freaked.
I'm freakish about a lot of viruses though. I've gotten the nastiest of the nasty from being in daycare Then being that it's a respiratory illness, it makes it even tougher to deal with since I have severe asthma.

If it comes down to a state of emergency here, I will close.
I don't care if I lose families over it. I may just stay closed anyway.
Yes, hand washing and simple preventative measures go a long way in avoiding viruses... but we all know how little daycare families care about preventing the spread of illnesses.
DaveA 12:48 PM 02-27-2020
To the same extent I’m worried about colds, influenza, strep,etc. Otherwise not really. At the point this is probably the 50th “OMG were all gonna die!” thing in the last few years.
Second Home 01:18 PM 02-27-2020
That's kinda extreme. I mean the virus has been around for 1 month and there are only 15 infected/ quarantined/ almost all recovered US persons. .
15 plus the 45 that came off the cruise ship / flown back to the U.S. So there are currently 60 people infected.
Valerie928 02:48 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Second Home:
15 plus the 45 that came off the cruise ship / flown back to the U.S. So there are currently 60 people infected.

Those 45 are not infected.
BumbleBee 03:26 PM 02-27-2020
Honestly, no.
e.j. 04:47 PM 02-27-2020
I'm not panicking but I am concerned. I think it's fear of the unknown: How will it play out here in the US and will I or anyone I know be personally affected by it.

It'd be nice if we could expect everyone to do their part to stem the spread but after being a day care provider for as many years as I have been, I'm not counting on it. Wash your hands? Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough? Stay home when you're sick? Don't try to stay and chit chat at pick up time when your hacking and coughing all over my playroom and kitchen? Yeah...sure.
Ariana 05:06 PM 02-27-2020

YES!! Every year we have a “flu pandemic” but the flu is not new so they don’t call it that!
flying_babyb 06:03 PM 02-27-2020
swine flu, h1n1.... This happens every year. Am i little concerned? Yep cause if i get it, ill be the one to get Pneumonia. But Ive had Pneumonia before and lived. I'm more worried about taking time off being sick!
Josiegirl 02:05 AM 02-28-2020
I wouldn't be normally except my dh works at the high school with a dorm program where kids go overseas all the time. They offer trips abroad and some kids were on a trip to Italy recently that got brought back after only a couple of days(after there was a case detected in Italy). They're taking extra measures to ensure all the health precautions that they can but honestly, who's to say 1 germ somewhere isn't going to create the scary havoc that seems to be unfolding. And my dh loves to talk about stuff like that so now he's bringing up things like who's disinfecting the buses, the planes, used for transport, what about all the drivers, etc., etc.
So I sit here, trying hard not to worry, and listen to him go on and on.
I think this will make its rounds like every other virus of the year, they'll develop a vaccine, and people need to treat it like every other sickness that they could contract and possibly die from. Stay as healthy as you possibly can and use all the smart precautions we've been taught in dealing with children all these years.

Meanwhile, I'll just stay under my blankets with my nose in a book.
CeriBear 05:22 AM 02-28-2020
Concerned yes, but not freaking out worried or stressed. I’m simply going to take the same precautions that I do for influenza A and B.
Snowmom 05:26 AM 02-28-2020
Those 45 are not infected.
My understanding is that they are.
This is the most up to date tally and most accurate count I've found available: https://infographics.channelnewsasia...WAsM4WV_qKOeIk
Snowmom 05:28 AM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
This is the most up to date tally and most accurate count I've found available: https://infographics.channelnewsasia...WAsM4WV_qKOeIk
The overall count this morning went up by over 1000 people in less than 24 hours.
Valerie928 07:00 AM 02-28-2020
I love how the number doesn't subtract ever, I mean there are lots of people who recover but that is never highlighted.
Unregistered 07:12 AM 02-28-2020
This site shows recovery as well:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I noticed in the flyers last night that basic staples were on really cheap sales. I'll be stocking up on some things for sure, but more because I'm frugal by nature.
Snowmom 07:34 AM 02-28-2020
I love how the number doesn't subtract ever, I mean there are lots of people who recover but that is never highlighted.

For this particular website- it is mapping "confirmed cases" because that is what tracks the spread.
Michael 08:12 AM 02-28-2020
I’ve been using https://www.wuflu.live to watch it’s progress.
Unregistered 08:20 AM 02-28-2020
Preparing in case.. getting extra supplies in such as non perishables and medications so that if it does come to my area I am not out crowded stores with my own kids and have them on hand if needed.
Ariana 09:27 AM 02-28-2020
Any ideas on what to stock up on in case it all goes to heck??

I am assuming we will still have running water and electricity?

I went to Costco last night and bought some pasta, sauces, frozen fruit and veggies. Cold medications, Advil and Tylenol. My husband has severe asthma and he got more medications as well but anything I should be doing for him?
Michael 10:01 AM 02-28-2020
Any ideas on what to stock up on in case it all goes to heck??

I am assuming we will still have running water and electricity?

I went to Costco last night and bought some pasta, sauces, frozen fruit and veggies. Cold medications, Advil and Tylenol. My husband has severe asthma and he got more medications as well but anything I should be doing for him?
I am a preppier but I don’t think this event is going to be that dangerous. I feel people are overreacting and more fearful and starting to isolate themselves. I guess there will be a run on food because that is what people worry about. Go to Costco and buy a 20lb bag of rice. You can always use that no matter the occasion.

Sooner of later we all catch a cold or the flu. Just work to build up your immune system and get good rest at night.
Tin Blues 01:12 PM 02-28-2020
I’m scared. But I’ve been following it since early January, thought it reached the tipping point last week. Take a look at the worldometers website and check out the paper published on the 72,000 cases in China. Broken down not just by age and sex but also comorbidity. Scary for me because I am diabetic and have high blood pressure. Epidemiologists are predicting 40 to 70% of the world will have had coronavirus by the end of November.

Doing my best to get prepared. Actually wish my kids would take it seriously.
Ariana 07:47 PM 02-28-2020
I am a preppier but I don’t think this event is going to be that dangerous. I feel people are overreacting and more fearful and starting to isolate themselves. I guess there will be a run on food because that is what people worry about. Go to Costco and buy a 20lb bag of rice. You can always use that no matter the occasion.

Sooner of later we all catch a cold or the flu. Just work to build up your immune system and get good rest at night.
I agree but also don’t want to be left unprepared! Two of my daycare parents are scientists and one used to work in the medical emergency preparedness field and they were telling me they were preparing so it kinda freaked me out!
lblanke 06:18 AM 03-01-2020
I an concerned and have purchased extra cleaning supplies, shelf stable food, extra toilet paper, etc. in case things shut down here. With flu, there is herd immunity that protects people, and we have vaccines and anti virals to treat.
Valerie928 10:28 AM 03-01-2020
Originally Posted by lblanke:
I an concerned and have purchased extra cleaning supplies, shelf stable food, extra toilet paper, etc. in case things shut down here. With flu, there is herd immunity that protects people, and we have vaccines and anti virals to treat.

Never thought about the anti viral drugs. I wonder if they are trying this for coronavirus. There are many types of anti viral medications, you have to wonder? Could it help
Baby Beluga 07:02 AM 03-02-2020
Never thought about the anti viral drugs. I wonder if they are trying this for coronavirus. There are many types of anti viral medications, you have to wonder? Could it help
An interesting read

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...irus-treatment
jenboo 08:06 AM 03-02-2020
The only thing im concerned about right now is the loss of wages if I had to close for an extended period of time...... really anything over a week.
Unregistered 08:30 AM 03-02-2020
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...r-schools.html
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 03-02-2020
The thing I find scariest is the lack of truthful info.

I have a grandparent of a DCK that is a regular pick up person. This grandparent has a sibling that lives part time in the US and part time in Italy. Traveling back and forth approximately every 6 weeks or so.

The other day when the grandparent picked up my DCK I noticed the sibling was with. I mentioned the sibling being home and were they home due to the Corona virus?

Grandparent said "No not at all. The virus isn't there."
I questioned them and said it's all over the news that Italy has cases of it and the number of them are climbing.

Grandparent said it's not true and the WHO as well as the CDC are just saying that to make us all panic. Grand parent went on to say they had closed cathedrals, schools and tourist places but have since re-opened them because there are no "real" cases of the virus there.

I don't follow the news super closely and know enough to know no news source is 100% truthful all the time but this grandparent's attitude/belief does have me concerned abit.

The grandparent is the main pick up person and they spend ALOT of time at their sibling's house WITH my DCK.
Michael 10:30 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is a quote from Johns Hopkins University and I hear it repeated everywhere:

A mask is not required or recommended, as there is no evidence available to suggest that they protect healthy people.

I keep hearing this but it doesn’t make sense. If masks don’t protect healthy people, why are healthcare workers wearing them?
tenderhearts 10:33 AM 03-02-2020
I wasn't too much until now, am a little because we are a county that just had 2 people test positive, and my husband is going through chemo. So it is scary, plus having my daycare open now and hearing how parents took their kids to the biggest indoor play areas in the area, I'm a little nervous although we are pretty careful where we go
MyAngels 10:40 AM 03-02-2020
Here is a quote from Johns Hopkins University and I hear it repeated everywhere:

A mask is not required or recommended, as there is no evidence available to suggest that they protect healthy people.

I keep hearing this but it doesn’t make sense. If masks don’t protect healthy people, why are healthcare workers wearing them?
It's my understanding that if you see a healthcare worker wearing a mask it's just another layer to try to protect their sick patients. Mostly they wear them for surgery (same reason, protecting the patient). You can have the coronavirus and not even show symptoms, so this could protect an already immunocompromised patient from contracting something from the healthcare worker, not the other way around.
Snowmom 10:52 AM 03-02-2020

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on.

https://www.facebook.com/DawnHasbrou...128?__tn__=K-R
This post resonated with me and was a good explanation of why we should be wearing masks. I only have a few left in my normal supply but have cloth buffs (think like the TV show Survivor ). I'm going to be breaking those babies out!!

The FL news today was a bit concerning (2 confirmed cases and 795 on watch).
Michael 11:22 AM 03-02-2020
I've been reading everything I can get my hands on.

https://www.facebook.com/DawnHasbrou...128?__tn__=K-R
This post resonated with me and was a good explanation of why we should be wearing masks. I only have a few left in my normal supply but have cloth buffs (think like the TV show Survivor ). I'm going to be breaking those babies out!!

The FL news today was a bit concerning (2 confirmed cases and 795 on watch).
I have a box of 100 n95, that I purchased a fews ago, which are contoured for the face and have an aspirator on the front. I offered to give one to any of my friends and half of them took one. I’m not planning on wearing them until there is a full blown outbreak in my area. I’m north of LA. There is a huge homeless population in LA that are compromised because of their health, living in tents and some drug use. I worry that they will not be adequately cared for and be a factor in the virus’ spread.

This virus seems to hit some “counties/cultures” harder than others. It makes me wonder that China may have been experimenting on the genomic sequencing of pathogens. There is too much they won’t say or allow access to.
Valerie928 11:50 AM 03-02-2020
I have a box of 100 n95 which are contoured for the face and have an aspirator on the front. I offered to give one to any of my friends and half of them took one. I’m not planning on wearing them until there is a full blown outbreak in my area. I’m north of LA. There is a huge homeless population in LA that are compromised because of their health, living in tents and some drug use. I worry that they will not be adequately cared for and be a factor in the virus’ spread.

This virus seems to hit some “counties/cultures” harder than others. It makes me wonder that China may have been experimenting on the genomic sequencing of pathogens. There is too much they won’t say or allow access to.
I agree about the masks. I will only wear one if if there are cases in/near my community.
My husband is the GM of a plant that NEEDS dust masks because of the environmental dust there. They are running out and he can only find them on Amazon for over quadruple the normal price they would be. It's not fair Also, they will be on back order for obvious reasons.
Baby Beluga 11:58 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
It's my understanding that if you see a healthcare worker wearing a mask it's just another layer to try to protect their sick patients. Mostly they wear them for surgery (same reason, protecting the patient). You can have the coronavirus and not even show symptoms, so this could protect an already immunocompromised patient from contracting something from the healthcare worker, not the other way around.
That was my understanding as well.

Thankfully, we keep masks in the house anyway because I use them when blowing leaves and mowing grass. If don't, I feel sick for days.

I went to walmart yesterday and the shelves in the OTC medication aisle were pretty bare. That was the first time I had seen it like that. I talked to a guy who said he just came from a different walmart because the medication shelves at the one he originally went to were bare.

It's interesting.
Josiegirl 02:30 AM 03-03-2020
Ugh, one of my dds lives very close to the place in Washington that has had 2 people die from this. I know they're doing what they can to keep this virus in check but they can't do everything. People don't always follow rules. Besides, NOW the media says this virus may have been in Wa. state 5 weeks before anyone knew it was there?? I hope and pray all of you, all our loved ones, stay healthy through this scare.
Cat Herder 04:43 AM 03-03-2020
Protocols tell us when we have to wear them on certain calls. OSHA decides some, insurance decides some, CDC decides some.

Sometimes it is about protecting us, other times it is about protecting that particular patient from us.
Cat Herder 04:57 AM 03-03-2020
The rapid rise of syphilis, hepatitis C and drug-resistant TB are pretty worrisome for most EMS workers right now.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom...s-release.html

https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom...s-Release.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...eatens-europe/

"The national rise in congenital syphilis parallels increases in syphilis among women of reproductive age. From 2017 to 2018, syphilis cases increased 36 percent among women of childbearing age. The 40 percent increase in congenital syphilis cases continues a dangerous trend seen in recent years. Although most states reported at least one case of congenital syphilis, five states – Texas, California, Florida, Arizona, and Louisiana – accounted for 70 percent of cases in the U.S."

"Over just five years, the number of new hepatitis C virus infections reported to CDC has nearly tripled, reaching a 15-year high"

"New figures from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, released in advance of World TB Day on March 24, have shown that the number of cases of the most severe form of drug-resistant tuberculosis – known as extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB) and classified as resistant to four or more drugs – has increased from around 350 in 2012 to almost 5,000 in 2016, the majority of which were in the former eastern bloc."

https://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/...drtb/xdrtb.htm
Ariana 08:33 AM 03-03-2020
I have a box of 100 n95, that I purchased a fews ago, which are contoured for the face and have an aspirator on the front. I offered to give one to any of my friends and half of them took one. I’m not planning on wearing them until there is a full blown outbreak in my area. I’m north of LA. There is a huge homeless population in LA that are compromised because of their health, living in tents and some drug use. I worry that they will not be adequately cared for and be a factor in the virus’ spread.

According to one of my scientist parents who works in forensics the N95 has to be specially fitted for it to work. Health care workers have individually fitted masks so they actually work for them. She also said they get sprayed with some sort of gel or mist with a bitter taste to add a further form of protection.
Ariana 08:37 AM 03-03-2020

I have a grandparent of a DCK that is a regular pick up person. This grandparent has a sibling that lives part time in the US and part time in Italy. Traveling back and forth approximately every 6 weeks or so.

The other day when the grandparent picked up my DCK I noticed the sibling was with. I mentioned the sibling being home and were they home due to the Corona virus?

Grandparent said "No not at all. The virus isn't there."
I questioned them and said it's all over the news that Italy has cases of it and the number of them are climbing.

Grandparent said it's not true and the WHO as well as the CDC are just saying that to make us all panic. Grand parent went on to say they had closed cathedrals, schools and tourist places but have since re-opened them because there are no "real" cases of the virus there.

I don't follow the news super closely and know enough to know no news source is 100% truthful all the time but this grandparent's attitude/belief does have me concerned abit.

The grandparent is the main pick up person and they spend ALOT of time at their sibling's house WITH my DCK.
WOW!! This is scary! What is fact, what is fiction? I know here in Canada they are saying that border agents are asking people travelling from certain countries to self identify and quarantine but two people who came back from South Korea said they landed and no one told them anything, no signs up, no questions at customs, nothing!! They are self quarantining anyway but I find this info troubling.
Cat Herder 08:44 AM 03-03-2020
According to one of my scientist parents who works in forensics the N95 has to be specially fitted for it to work. Health care workers have individually fitted masks so they actually work for them. She also said they get sprayed with some sort of gel or mist with a bitter taste to add a further form of protection.
Ours (EMS) are one-time use. We do "fit test training" where we have to put a hood over our masked face while they spray a rancid smelling/tasting mist in our faces. It shows us where our seals are not so great. Mostly it is to point out that beards are not such a great idea in the field.
Attached: fit test2 (300 x 225).jpg (12.9 KB) 
Ariana 08:50 AM 03-03-2020
Ours (EMS) are one-time use. We do "fit test training" where we have to put a hood over our masked face while they spray a rancid smelling/tasting mist in our faces. It shows us where our seals are not so great. Mostly it is to point out that beards are not such a great idea in the field.
Yes!! She basically told me that the average Joe wearing a mask is not being protected or protecting others from anything really. Her work is very strict about cross contamination for obvious reasons and I am sure medical personnel are as well.
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 03-03-2020
WOW!! This is scary! What is fact, what is fiction? I know here in Canada they are saying that border agents are asking people travelling from certain countries to self identify and quarantine but two people who came back from South Korea said they landed and no one told them anything, no signs up, no questions at customs, nothing!! They are self quarantining anyway but I find this info troubling.
I agree!
I talked with the parent today and they too said speaking directly to friends/family in both China and in Italy that “our” news media is purposely making things seem worse than they are. The parent swears the cases in Italy were or aren’t confirmed and the situations are nothing like we are being told they are.
Valerie928 03:42 PM 03-03-2020
Guys, now I am feeling extremely shook. We have quarantined families here in my area returning from Italy. They were tested, awaiting results. This scares me.
Blackcat31 04:02 PM 03-03-2020
Interesting....
Attached: 0A2A0ABE-8DDB-413C-A75D-89DEF5DAB929.jpeg (213.9 KB) 
Valerie928 04:08 PM 03-03-2020
There is a YouTube channel called The People. Watch the latest video about Coronavirus/China. It's nothing to be down played this new virus.
Josiegirl 03:03 AM 03-04-2020
BC, that is just really strange and does make a person wonder!!!

Valerie, I understand your feelings. I wasn't that concerned when this virus was more of a 'far away' thing but people are dying in the Seattle area, just a handful of miles from my dd. Granted, they're older people with compromised systems but still..... And there was a trip of high school students locally that had to be returned from Italy soon after they arrived there; all those families are 'in quarantine' but truthfully, how does that work?? Is it 100%? I've heard someone(on the news, can't remember where it was) tested positive for the virus right after they came off quarantine.
My dh works at this high school and it's scary to think about all the ways this virus can escape, even with the safeguards put in place. Realistically there is only so much people can do. I'm seriously trying not to panic but......
Valerie928 06:03 AM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
BC, that is just really strange and does make a person wonder!!!

Valerie, I understand your feelings. I wasn't that concerned when this virus was more of a 'far away' thing but people are dying in the Seattle area, just a handful of miles from my dd. Granted, they're older people with compromised systems but still..... And there was a trip of high school students locally that had to be returned from Italy soon after they arrived there; all those families are 'in quarantine' but truthfully, how does that work?? Is it 100%? I've heard someone(on the news, can't remember where it was) tested positive for the virus right after they came off quarantine.
My dh works at this high school and it's scary to think about all the ways this virus can escape, even with the safeguards put in place. Realistically there is only so much people can do. I'm seriously trying not to panic but......
Even scarier is there are folks that tested positive (throat swab) from that cruise ship the diamond princess that have NO symptoms. These folks are carriers. They remain quarantined until they test negative twice. How many carriers are out there and don't know it? Ugh
Valerie928 06:07 AM 03-04-2020
Interesting....

I personally could not disagree more with this. Why would China do this to their economy and people always do this when there is something new. Aids for example. Well that just had to be somebody plotting something. Turns out it was a new virus, like this coronavirus. Scary
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 03-04-2020
I personally could not disagree more with this. Why would China do this to their economy and people always do this when there is something new. Aids for example. Well that just had to be somebody plotting something. Turns out it was a new virus, like this coronavirus. Scary
Im not a conspiracy theorist so I am definitely not sharing as valid info....just thought it was interesting.

Snopes says it's not necessarily true and does provide the reasons as to why it's not entirely true but it still leaves that little thought in one's head concerning all the things the general mass public isn't aware of or told.

My DCK grandparent is a perfect example.
They are adamant when we discuss the virus that the info we are getting here in the U.S. does NOT accurately portray the situation.

I'm not really all that worried as I do what I can to eliminate any virus that is cycling around but I do find some of the theories circulating very interesting.
Cat Herder 07:03 AM 03-04-2020
I don't see any conspiracies. I see the usual human factors. Lax hygiene, lax animal care, lax regulations and human error.

This one started at an open fish wet market known for selling exotics and illegal animals. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...hey-might-pose

The same way the recent-ish (2003) monkeypox outbreak started. That one was pocket mice to prairie dog to owner, then public. https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/outbreak.html
Ariana 09:49 AM 03-04-2020
Oh my goodness BC!! That book totally predicted this.

I also looked at Snopes and yes there are some inconsistencies but this is way too coincidental and I totally agree, we are not told everything.

I am Canadian and our news is gone haywire too. Government is saying “prepare for a pandemic...but don’t panic”. Very clear message right?! store shelves are emptying and I am not sure what they expected if they want everyone to prepare for 14 days at home. Costco only has so many rolls of toilet paper!
Msdunny 10:03 AM 03-04-2020
We were just told yesterday of the first case here in my home county, and people have lost their minds! My husband works part-time at Target in the evenings, and did an order last night for pick up that was 80 containers of Clorox wipes. 80. There is no hand sanitizer to be had, anti-bacterial soaps are long gone, and face masks? psh! Even though they don't help, you couldn't find one if you DID need one.

Of course, my dad is currently in the hospital, so I am going to send out an illness policy tightening reminder if there are any further cases. I'm not worried about it, but I don't want ot put my dad or other medically fragile folks in danger.
Gemma 10:10 AM 03-04-2020
My DCK grandparent is a perfect example.
They are adamant when we discuss the virus that the info we are getting here in the U.S. does NOT accurately portray the situation.

I have family in Italy and I'm told the exact same thing, they don't know what to believe " it is definitely not what the news is saying"
Michael 10:47 AM 03-04-2020
The Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory is designated as a Biosafety Level 4 (BSL-4). The Wuhan lab can hold the world's most dangerous pathogens at maximum biocontainment levels and is the ONLY LEVEL 4 lab in all of China. While it was originally created in 2003 to handle the SARS virus, we know China usually militarizes an experiments with pathogens beyond its appearance as a medical facility.

I think China did not want western scientists to get a hold of the first known victim there because the virus’ make-up will expose it as being created within this lab.

My feeling is that most people will come in contact with this virus, which makes it a pandemic. Currently, in the US the mortality rate is 6%. They have been saying that this mortality rate is 3.4%. Either way the normal flu’s mortality rate is less than 1%. That makes this virus pretty virulent.

I think the best thing we all can do is to build up our immune systems, practice sanitary and hygiene conditions, and stay home when we feel sick.

I believe within the next few weeks or months Western governments will come out with vaccinations and remedies to minimize this virus’ effects. Those that are elderly or have compromised immune system‘s need to stay vigilant until then.
Vesta 11:27 AM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I have family in Italy and I'm told the exact same thing, they don't know what to believe " it is definitely not what the news is saying"

They’ve closed all schools and universities until March 15th.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ases-rise/amp/
Valerie928 11:53 AM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
We were just told yesterday of the first case here in my home county, and people have lost their minds! My husband works part-time at Target in the evenings, and did an order last night for pick up that was 80 containers of Clorox wipes. 80. There is no hand sanitizer to be had, anti-bacterial soaps are long gone, and face masks? psh! Even though they don't help, you couldn't find one if you DID need one.

Of course, my dad is currently in the hospital, so I am going to send out an illness policy tightening reminder if there are any further cases. I'm not worried about it, but I don't want ot put my dad or other medically fragile folks in danger.
Clorox wipes contain NO BLEACH. How on earth is this going to help kill germs? I just learned of this. Real bleach works if I am hearing right. Crazy!
Michael 12:03 PM 03-04-2020
Clorox wipes contain NO BLEACH. How on earth is this going to help kill germs? I just learned of this. Real bleach works if I am hearing right. Crazy!
I just purchased Clorox broad spectrum Quaternary disinfectant. It contains no bleach but kills just about everything. I just realized the place I bought it just sold out. Here is some info on the product: https://www.officesupply.com/cleanin...se%20-%20Broad
Valerie928 01:14 PM 03-04-2020
I just purchased Clorox broad spectrum Quaternary disinfectant. It contains no bleach but kills just about everything. I just realized the place I bought it just sold out. Here is some info on the product: https://www.officesupply.com/cleanin...se%20-%20Broad
Thanks Michael 👍
Michael 10:55 AM 03-05-2020
This is the most comprehensive site covering the Coronavirus I've seen yet: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
MomBoss 04:16 AM 03-06-2020
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This is how i get my info. It shows how many people have recovered. The media never talks about that, making it seem bigger than what it is.

100,000 people have been infected, but 50,000 of that have recovered.
Annalee 04:52 AM 03-06-2020
I visited the local clinic to get my monthly B12 shot yesterday. She said "if anyone would read a Lysol can, they would know coronavirus and viruses like it have been around for a long while and the media was causing the scare issues". In a neighboring county, a man has been diagnosed with a mild case of coronavirus and they have cancelled school in that county for today and Monday because this man has a son that attends school there. THis man had traveled to Boston at some point is where they think he got it! ??
Second Home 05:00 AM 03-06-2020
So there are now 3 confirmed cases in MD ( not far from me). What concerns me is that they all were on the same trip overseas and arrived back in MD on Feb 20 . They had no health screenings until the health department contacted them yesterday because someone else on the same trip was confirmed to have it . People are not being screened or monitored after returning home from affected areas overseas .
These 3 people ( a couple in their 70's and a single person in her 50's) were out in the community since returning ,even when they felt sick.
Second Home 05:04 AM 03-06-2020
And to add that they say people with compromised health are at a greater risk. They are including medical issues like high blood pressure and diabetes as being at higher risk .
Snowmom 06:16 AM 03-06-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I visited the local clinic to get my monthly B12 shot yesterday. She said "if anyone would read a Lysol can, they would know coronavirus and viruses like it have been around for a long while and the media was causing the scare issues". In a neighboring county, a man has been diagnosed with a mild case of coronavirus and they have cancelled school in that county for today and Monday because this man has a son that attends school there. THis man had traveled to Boston at some point is where they think he got it! ??
This bothers me. Same when people bring up how the flu kills more people.

Apples/Oranges

Novel COVID19 coronavirus.
Novel=new.
New strain.
New strain=unknown
Unknown is the scary part.
Cat Herder 06:36 AM 03-06-2020

Apples/Oranges

Novel=new.
New strain.
New strain=unknown
Coronaviruses (all of them) are also a bit different in that they are in RNA (precursor to DNA), not DNA. Which means they can mutate very quickly. The broader the exposure to live animal hosts, the more likely they will be enabled to jump from their origin species into humans. From there it mutates from a protein to person to person contact infection with ever-adapting effectiveness. Once that it is airborne it presents a bigger challenge.

It is a big deal to researchers, but for the average person, it only requires the same precautions as every other virus. With travel becoming affordable for most people, we will see bigger spreads of everything. Not just coronaviruses.
Ariana 09:18 AM 03-06-2020
Originally Posted by Second Home:
So there are now 3 confirmed cases in MD ( not far from me). What concerns me is that they all were on the same trip overseas and arrived back in MD on Feb 20 . They had no health screenings until the health department contacted them yesterday because someone else on the same trip was confirmed to have it . People are not being screened or monitored after returning home from affected areas overseas .
These 3 people ( a couple in their 70's and a single person in her 50's) were out in the community since returning ,even when they felt sick.
Same here! A security guard got it near Toronto and worked for two weeks with it. No one screened him eventhough he came back from an overseas trip.

I have also been reading that there aren’t enough tests so people coming to hospital with Covid19 symptoms are simply being told to quarantine for 14 days without confirmation of illness. Saw a post on twitter (not saying twitter posts are always true) that their coworker was told to quarantine without proof she has coronavirus and no one in her office was notified.
Msdunny 11:11 AM 03-06-2020
We have a new case here in N.C. The person just got back from Italy. I don’t know what to believe anymore. Supposedly people in Italy are saying it isn’t that bad there, but then a guy has come back with it. I still think it isn’t as serious as the flu, but it does appear to spread pretty easily.

Since this is the second case confirmed close to me, I will be sending a updated, firmer illness policy next week it think.
Annalee 11:22 AM 03-06-2020
I do think the coronavirus is real and not something I want necessarily but I also feel that it is being used as another negative tactic with the presidential race coming soon. How many times has the heading "Trump doesn't take coronavirus seriously, or Trump hasn't spoken about the coronavirus", etc. Now he has but but then they scrutinize what he said. No matter which side we are on, issues like coronavirus is used for political gain. Just my opinions!

Off-topic, Trump is in my state today viewing all the tornado damage. There is so much else going on within my state right now and this tragic weather we recently had with 25 lives lost is devastating to communities.
Cat Herder 11:37 AM 03-06-2020
I read it is up to 21 states, now. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...he-coronavirus
Michael 12:47 PM 03-06-2020
We have a new case here in N.C. The person just got back from Italy. I don’t know what to believe anymore. Supposedly people in Italy are saying it isn’t that bad there, but then a guy has come back with it. I still think it isn’t as serious as the flu, but it does appear to spread pretty easily.

Since this is the second case confirmed close to me, I will be sending a updated, firmer illness policy next week it think.
There are two strains (L-type and S-type). L-type is much worse than the other.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...e-more-deadly/

I know the media is sensationalizing much of it but what happened in China was not media driven. Hopefully they contained the bad one in Wuhan and a less virulent one is making the rounds.
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 03-06-2020

Apples/Oranges

Novel=new.
New strain.
New strain=unknown
I just heard the first case has been identified in MN (Ramsey county). I haven't read any detail but from what I have heard it is an elderly man that was on a cruise.

Found a link to it http://www.startribune.com/minnesota...ase/568566962/
Michael 03:07 PM 03-06-2020
I tend to buy gadgets and I think this is something that every daycare could use on toys, surfaces, door-handles and it only takes 5 seconds to kill bacteria, viruses and mold. It shows Daycare as one of its environment uses. Call me crazy but I like this.

https://www.mrsa-uv.com/razor-uv.html
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 03-06-2020
I tend to buy gadgets and I think this is something that every daycare could use on toys, surfaces, door-handles and it only takes 5 seconds to kill bacteria, viruses and mold. It shows Daycare as one of its environment uses. Call me crazy but I like this.

That's really cool!

My son is a gadget guy too.... He'd definitely get one!
Ariana 04:23 PM 03-06-2020
Everyone should be using UV light absolutely!

Has it been proven to kill Covid19?
Annalee 04:32 PM 03-06-2020
Child Care educators received an email today to "stay up to date with creditable sources " and to "keep hands washed" and to sanitize as normal and " monitor symptoms". I printed it off and give to my parents at pickup. I think the state is trying to keep everyone calm and to not overreact.
Michael 04:38 PM 03-06-2020
I would think that it would kill coronavirus like the other viruses but I really don’t know. I am seriously thinking of buying this device because it just seems like a smart way to control all the biological stuff that gets trekked into our homes and businesses. I’ve always been germ conscious since I was very young and feel these issues will always be a constant concern in our transient society.
Ariana 04:49 PM 03-06-2020
I would think that it would kill coronavirus like the other viruses but I really don’t know. I am seriously thinking of buying this device because it just seems like a smart way to control all the biological stuff that gets trekked into our homes and businesses. I’ve always been germ conscious since I was very young and feel these issues will always be a constant concern in our transient society.
Totally agree and chemical free would be so nice! Right now I disinfect my change table with Lysol wipes which are sold out everywhere now. I can make them myself with baby wipes and cleaner but it would be nice to not have to depend on them or any chemical to clean during these times.

If you do buy it, give us a full review! I am going to do more research on it as well.
Josiegirl 03:31 AM 03-07-2020

I thought I read the opposite....not as easy to catch as the flu but more lethal? Could be I totally screwed it around in my aging brain though.

My sister feels it's been here for quite awhile but we're just hearing about it more recently. And I tend to agree with her. Even now, there must be lots of issues where kids are getting colds or people just slug through a couple days of feeling under the weather then feel better. Who knows what caused it? Did every single one of those people get tested? And as far as people being quarantined, that's all fine and dandy but are they being 100% plus who came in contact before they went housebound?? And look at the person who came back from a trip(Italy I think??) and was tested(later confirmed as positive), advised to self-quarantine, but then attended a mixer that included medical students??? That happened right over the border from me, at Dartmouth in NH. He's being charged with a misdemeanor. One person has knowingly contracted the virus from that specific time. Then you've got the very contagious incubation period. And it goes on and on.
The virus is here and will spread. Do your duty as a healthy citizen, take care of yourself, take care of others and especially take care of your loved ones that are considered at higher risk. Just be smart and don't go crazy.
And hey, maybe just stay home until summer.
Valerie928 04:31 AM 03-07-2020
I talked to my cousin, an actual human in the medical field. She is a pediatric nurse practitioner and works in the PICU at our largest children's hospital here in my city. I asked her if she is worried about the virus. She said compare it to the flu minus a vaccine. Just wash your hands and do your best to stay healthy.
I personally don't think all this quarantine stuff is worth it. It's just delaying the spread.
Valerie928 04:32 AM 03-07-2020

I showed this to my husband, he loves these kinds of things. Very cool!
Tags:bats, cdc, coronavirus, covid-19, infrared, medical terminology, mers-cov, mrsa, pandemic, pandemic - contract, sars-cov-2, world health organization, zoonosis
1 2 3  ... Last
Reply Up